The Student Room Group
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland

Ask a Current UWS Student!

Hi there! :hi:

If you're applying or considering applying to the University of the West of Scotland feel free to ask any questions here and I'll do my best to help out. This can be absolutely anything you can think of related to the university. I'll do my best to answer any questions even if it's not my specific area as I'm bound to know someone or somewhere to get that information from. :smile:

For a little about me:

I am currently about to enter third year in a Biomedical Science degree at the Paisley campus. :h:
I have a three-year degree in Filmmaking and Screenwriting from UWS. I studied at the Ayr campus and lived in halls during the 2014-15 academic year. :smile:
I also have experience on coming to UWS as a mature student, through clearing, and direct Yr 2/3 entry. :yes:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
@UWS
Sorry I had to do this.
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland
Reply 2
Why is UWS the best?
Original post by UWS
Why is UWS the best?

:mmm:
Original post by sinfonietta

If you're applying or considering applying to the University of the West of Scotland feel free to ask any questions here and I'll do my best to help out. This can be absolutely anything you can think of related to the university. I'll do my best to answer any questions even if it's not my specific area as I'm bound to know someone or somewhere to get that information from. :smile:

For a little about me:

I am currently about to enter third year in a Biomedical Science degree at the Paisley campus. :h:
I have a three-year degree in Filmmaking and Screenwriting from UWS. I studied at the Ayr campus and lived in halls during the 2014-15 academic year. :smile:
I also have experience on coming to UWS as a mature student, through clearing, and direct Yr 2/3 entry. :yes:

Spoiler

Did it take you a long time to figure out how to navigate the Paisley campus as so many blocks look similar?
Original post by Labrador99
Did it take you a long time to figure out how to navigate the Paisley campus as so many blocks look similar?

Only a week or so! All of the buildings have signs on them and there is a map at the entrance to the majority of them. Some buildings are also connected on the upper floors via walkways. :smile:

Admittedly I still walk about in circles for five minutes anytime I go looking for my course leader's office because that floor is a maze. :colondollar:
Only a week or so! All of the buildings have signs on them and there is a map at the entrance to the majority of them. Some buildings are also connected on the upper floors via walkways. :smile:

Admittedly I still walk about in circles for five minutes anytime I go looking for my course leader's office because that floor is a maze. :colondollar:

:smile: (Took me ages when I did my placement, but am awful with directions :colondollar:)

:lol:

Another question- do you have an idea of what you want to do after your degree?
Original post by Labrador99
:smile: (Took me ages when I did my placement, but am awful with directions :colondollar:)

Another question- do you have an idea of what you want to do after your degree?

I've a few ideas in mind but not truly committed to any yet. I'm applying for a placement to work in a lab abroad this coming year, so if I get it that'll be a great opportunity to see if it's the right route for me. :smile:

I've a few ideas in mind but not truly committed to any yet. I'm applying for a placement to work in a lab abroad this coming year, so if I get it that'll be a great opportunity to see if it's the right route for me. :smile:

That sounds great! Hope you get in! :smile:
Hey!
I am about to enter first year at UWS and I'm a bit excited!
Specifically, my course is Filmmaking and Screenwriting, and since you went through it could I ask you how did you find it?
Like, the rate pratice/theory, the teachers, the opportunities you got etc.

Lastly, the halls. I'll be staying there from Italy aaaaand I'd like to have some words of comfort about it ahah

Thanks a lot!
Original post by luqB14
Hey!
I am about to enter first year at UWS and I'm a bit excited!
Specifically, my course is Filmmaking and Screenwriting, and since you went through it could I ask you how did you find it?
Like, the rate pratice/theory, the teachers, the opportunities you got etc.

Lastly, the halls. I'll be staying there from Italy aaaaand I'd like to have some words of comfort about it ahah

Thanks a lot!

The lecturers for Filmmaking and Screenwriting are fantastic. Practical to theory felt pretty equal, at least in third year and fourth year. I didn't do Yr 1+2 owing to having done a HND in Media and Communication. There are a lot of optional guest lectures to attend by people working in industry. Other than that I didn't really care to take advantage of anything else on offer so I don't really remember if/what those things were - especially as they were likely arranged in second year, which I wasn't there for.

The halls are great. :biggrin: I was actually sad when I had to leave my room at the end of the year. I've added a few photos of my room there in the spoiler below. I did have photos of the kitchen/living room but can't find them now. D: They're well-equipped (with microwave and kettle too - but no toasters because they're banned :tongue: ) with enough cupboard and fridge space for everyone. Freezers are tiny though.

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
What was going into direct year two did you feel like an outsider- was everyone else already friends/were you the only one coming into directly? Also how did you manage the work load
Original post by Kirstm10
What was going into direct year two did you feel like an outsider- was everyone else already friends/were you the only one coming into directly? Also how did you manage the work load

I definitely didn't feel like an outsider! :smile:

When I had direct entry into third year of Filmmaking and Screenwriting there were over eighty applicants for I believe only 12-14 places. I knew someone else who was going into the course so even though I spent the morning of the first day with him I had already met more people by lunchtime (also direct entrants) who I remained friends until graduation.

When I entered at second year for Biomedical Science a good chunk of the class were all direct entrants too. I took me a little longer to make friends this time (a few weeks) but honestly I wasn't actually trying to be social. :colondollar: About four weeks in I started talking to some people after our first test - which is how I met the person who essentially became my lab partner for every class after that day (and one of my best friends). :tongue: Now that second year has finished I'd estimate that I talk regularly with approx a quarter to a a third of the people in my degree (around 45 people total) and quite a few people in other science degrees (a number of the modules in the lower years merge people from several degrees). :smile:

The workload felt misleading at first. There wasn't too much to do in the beginning, but then the 4-6 week mark hits and suddenly it all piles on at once and then just continues to ramp up toward the end of the semester. It was definitely more intensive and a huge leap from the HNC I'd done before. It was exhausting but manageable when I used my time well. Stressful as all hell when I procrastinated. :tongue:
(edited 5 years ago)
Thank you for your reply it has definitely put my mind at rest! I am coming from a HNC at college and I am worried that the dynamic will be a big difference since everyone started at the same time/ level and the work load was very manageable similar to school I thought.
The lecturers for Filmmaking and Screenwriting are fantastic. Practical to theory felt pretty equal, at least in third year and fourth year. I didn't do Yr 1+2 owing to having done a HND in Media and Communication. There are a lot of optional guest lectures to attend by people working in industry. Other than that I didn't really care to take advantage of anything else on offer so I don't really remember if/what those things were - especially as they were likely arranged in second year, which I wasn't there for.

The halls are great. :biggrin: I was actually sad when I had to leave my room at the end of the year. I've added a few photos of my room there in the spoiler below. I did have photos of the kitchen/living room but can't find them now. D: They're well-equipped (with microwave and kettle too - but no toasters because they're banned :tongue: ) with enough cupboard and fridge space for everyone. Freezers are tiny though.

Spoiler

Thank you so much!
Sorry if I didn't reply before but I don't log in often :P
I especially liked the optional guest lectures which I didn't know about damn, I think I'll go to every lecture related to filmmaking ahah
Could you kindly tell me something about the equipment they have? And if there was some kind of lesson where you were on your own (or with friends) to go and shoot something you wanted?
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot, do you know something about the gym at Ayr campus? I know there is one but I can't find the prices anywhere :/
Also, what is the Wifi speed? If you didn't check with a speedtest, you could just say that it was fast enough :biggrin:
Last answer I promise, is there a fridge for each one? Or just a big one that anyone can use? If so, how can you divide your food from others?
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello,

I’ll be going to first year for biomedical science. I would like to ask about how hard is to get placement? I heard everyone won’t get it in third year.

For a little about me:

Spoiler

Hi sinfonietta,

I got an offer from UWS Paisley Campus for Music Technology course for September 2020. Do you know anything about the course and it's quality?
Hey!!

I have a question about academic support, i really struggled at college with referencing when doing essays and they were never strict on the Harvard referencing so I am not confident with that at all. is there support available around this area?

thanks!!
Reply 18
Hi
I got admit for MA filmmaking Sep'2021. I would like to connect with anyone going for the same course or Ayr campus. I am confused about accommodation, whether to chose University Halls or a private accommodation. I am very polite and easy going. Budget is definitely a concern for me but I also wants to make friends, get to know their culture, and spend some quality time.
So please tell me what is best, univ halls or private ?
Hiya, I've got a paramedic science interview at UWS and i'm wondering if you have any advice or tips on what to look over or how to stand out ? Thanks :smile:)

Original post by 1582

For a little about me:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest