Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ol94
is the grad scheme chemistry related

no :cry:

I got rejected after the AC

:cry:

Spoiler

why dont you go do a masters somewhere else and work hard this time, then apply for a PhD at cambridge or oxford. surely then you may have proved that you can cope with the pressures of academia. I dont mean to be rude and I can understand you may have worked hard for a 2.2, but many people dont put much effort in and get that grade, so from an outsiders perspective it wont be too impressive.
Original post by marupe
I am an unemployed oxbridge grad, can not confirm

sorry but the reason you are unemployed isnt due to a lack of jobs, so probably has no relationship to the fact you have an oxbridge degree. an oxbridge degree doesnt get you a job, it ticks a box and can help when applying for jobs. thats it.
Original post by marupe
I am an unemployed oxbridge grad, can not confirm

It’s not the degree itself that entitles you to a job - It’s what you do with it.
Reply 24
Original post by manalisa
I recently graduated with 50% from the University of Manchester, with Economics degree. I realised this has been a huge failure in my whole life. But I still can't let go of my dream getting to Oxbridge.
Would a 2nd degree improves my chance to get to Oxbridge?

How would you fund a second undergraduate degree? You won't qualify for student finance.

Alternatively, just *maybe* if you did very well in a MSc you might be able to progress to a PhD/DPhil at Oxbridge. But I think it's a very long shot.
Applying for anything at oxbridge requires top grade - you compete with people with top grades for a small amount of places. if you applied for a second degree in anything you get no funding - you must pay it all. If you pay for a degree with minimal funding (medicine, veterinary medicine or dentistry), you can apply as a graduate for an accelerated course, in which you compete against other graduates only rather than school leavers. I mention that because I'm applying for Veterinary Medicine as a graduate in October (if I get an A in the extra a-level in Chemistry I have taken this year) - roughly 13 people apply with A* and A grades, and only 2 on average get in each year. Even the top grades struggle. Even with my current A*A*A grades, a pending extra a-level and on track for a first in my first degree - I still don't think my chanceS are great. So You See, to have any chance you need the best and even that's no guarantee.

A 2:2 shows you struggled with university, and oxbridge will demand more of you. Oxbridge demand more, in a shorter semester time.
I recently graduated with 50% from the University of Manchester, with Economics degree. I realised this has been a huge failure in my whole life. But I still can't let go of my dream getting to Oxbridge.

Pretty much the only thing that will get you to Oxbridge now is 10 years of professional experience and an application off the back of that. No immediate further academic achievement will turn things around.
Reply 27
Original post by cambridgedream
sorry but the reason you are unemployed isnt due to a lack of jobs, so probably has no relationship to the fact you have an oxbridge degree. an oxbridge degree doesnt get you a job, it ticks a box and can help when applying for jobs. thats it.

Original post by FloralHybrid
It’s not the degree itself that entitles you to a job - It’s what you do with it.

I know, it was tongue in cheek, hence the "can not confirm"
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by cambridgedream
why dont you go do a masters somewhere else and work hard this time, then apply for a PhD at cambridge or oxford. surely then you may have proved that you can cope with the pressures of academia. I dont mean to be rude and I can understand you may have worked hard for a 2.2, but many people dont put much effort in and get that grade, so from an outsiders perspective it wont be too impressive.

Most (if not all) Oxbridge PhDs also require a minimum of a high 2.1 at undergraduate, in addition to a Distinction at Master's level.

OP - I can't find anything on the Oxford or Cambridge websites that would indicate how a second degree might impact an application, so your best bet is to contact both universities and ask them directly.
Original post by e^iπ
What's the general attitude towards employment at Cambridge, do you find that students neglect work experience due to the added pressures of academia?

A huuuuge number of people opt for further study over employment. I think that's the biggest trend I've noticed at Cambridge (unsurprisingly, given the sort of people it attracts). Other than that, it's pretty comparable to everywhere else: you've got some folks who arrive with dollar signs in their eyes and cheap suits in their bags, who want nothing more than a grad job at Goldman; then you've got people who don't really think too much about employment until graduation is bearing down on them. I don't think Cambridge is particularly unique, though the careers service refuses to relay information about career events/job opportunities which fall inside term time because they don't want interference with our studies, so.

Original post by Doonesbury
How would you fund a second undergraduate degree? You won't qualify for student finance.

Alternatively, just *maybe* if you did very well in a MSc you might be able to progress to a PhD/DPhil at Oxbridge. But I think it's a very long shot.

I need to get some kinda PRSOM copypasta I can just spam at you or something, this is getting ridiculous :'(
Original post by Duncan2012
No. Be realistic. You're not getting to Oxbridge for a few years.

If it really is a dream to study there (I'm not sure why, but it's your dream not mine) then get a job, work hard and come back in a few years with a strong work history and you'll stand a greater chance of getting in. Maybe have a look at something like an MBA after 3+ years. If it's your ambition then you'll need to up your game to get there - but it's doable. Good luck.

If you go on to become a successful person in your chosen career and maybe even gain reputation in your field, then you will have accomplished something awesome in and of itself (regardless of where it takes you) and you can use that as a springboard to other things if you want to pursue them. And it will be better for your CV - experience is really important.

You would then also have the financial stability to pursue another degree that you are passionate about at another institution and do well without having to worry unduly about money and funding. Because that is also a big concern and throwing yourself into more debt w/o a strong plan isn't wise.

My advice (and you can take it or leave it) is to apply to jobs that you are interested in and work up from there. Keep pushing and working hard. Obviously, if you are desperate for money you should take what you can get, but beyond that always try to do something in your field. Once you gain enough experience, you'll find people are not quite as interested in your Manchester degree result as the projects you've been involved in.

It's obviously a long shot re Oxbridge as everyone else has said, but you have nothing to do lose from building a strong stable career in something you care about and then seeing what happens. :yep:
Original post by e^iπ
LOL, OP is away crying because he/she didn't get the validation they wanted.

OP got the reaction he wanted. This is a troll thread.

Is everyone here new to the internet or something?

No, Oxbridge will not touch you, sorry - unless there are some extenuating circumstances.
Original post by auburnstar
If you go on to become a successful person in your chosen career and maybe even gain reputation in your field, then you will have accomplished something awesome in and of itself (regardless of where it takes you) and you can use that as a springboard to other things if you want to pursue them. And it will be better for your CV - experience is really important.

You would then also have the financial stability to pursue another degree that you are passionate about at another institution and do well without having to worry unduly about money and funding. Because that is also a big concern and throwing yourself into more debt w/o a strong plan isn't wise.

My advice (and you can take it or leave it) is to apply to jobs that you are interested in and work up from there. Keep pushing and working hard. Obviously, if you are desperate for money you should take what you can get, but beyond that always try to do something in your field. Once you gain enough experience, you'll find people are not quite as interested in your Manchester degree result as the projects you've been involved in.

It's obviously a long shot re Oxbridge as everyone else has said, but you have nothing to do lose from building a strong stable career in something you care about and then seeing what happens. :yep:

I’m not OP.

You probably wouldn't even get to the interview stage. Doing a second degree won't help you because Oxford and Cambridge will still look at that first degree classification you got. Don't forget that you are competing against people who have gotten a first or at least a 2:1 that was a couple of marks away from a first. On some of their courses, Oxford and Cambridge does say that they will consider people with years of experience.

So your best bet is to get a job and build up some professional experience or lower your expectations and aim for a different university. There are some RG universities that might still consider people with a 2:2.
Not a chance in all hell.
Oxbridge would be so impressed with your delusion that they'd probably offer you a free ride.
Reply 37
Why is everyone being so rude? I think with a second undergraduate degree/other qualifications and excellent work experience you can do it. I graduated from Manchester with a 2:2 in Economics and now have a Masters offer from UCL (mind you I have internship experiences with both KPMG and the UN)If going to Oxbridge is truly your dream then don't let anyone stand in your way :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Silky91
Why is everyone being so rude? I think with a second undergraduate degree/other qualifications and excellent work experience you can do it. I graduated from Manchester with a 2:2 in Economics and now have a Masters offer from UCL (mind you I have internship experiences with both KPMG and the UN)If going to Oxbridge is truly your dream then don't let anyone stand in your way :smile:

Congratulations! What's your MSc course in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Duncan2012
I’m not OP.

Yeah I just have a tendency to quote people sorry xD The website loads not very well on my PC for some reason

Quick Reply

Latest