The Student Room Group

GDL part time- work full time... hard? Also SQE?

Hi,

I’m starting the GDL self funded this September. Plan to attempt to get a training contract and do the LPC.. ideally funded if I get a training contract.. does this ever happen??

But the SQE starts as I finish the GDL... possibly then jump to this?? Not much info on this though.

Am I wasting my time doing the GDL? Feel very anxious!

I’m a nurse (bachelor of science with honours- got a first) ... full time work, part time GDL and two kids... mistake or go for it? Deposit all paid etc 😬😬
@J-SP might know more.

I am not sure the sense of doing the GDL to then have to do SQE 1**. By the way, how are you paying for the GDL? Is it a GDL under an LLM, for which you can get SLC funding or is it a GDL meaning entirely out of your own pocket?

** EDIT: looks as if you can choose which route you want to do, if you started your academic stage before Sept 2019. This would be open to you until 2024 under current proposals. I must say I should have known this, as I have an LLB under the old system.

Personally I would not bother with the route, as you're already in a pretty decent profession. To come out of nursing to go into low-level legal work, for a rather meagre salary, is rather unattractive to me. But SQE opens up the profession more, should make everything cheaper. Maybe it is sensible to wait it out.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
Why the assumption it would lead to low level legal work and a poor salary?

There will be a transition period of about 5-7 years, so the LPC + TC will still be possible. The GDL may also give you a good grounding if you do have to do the SQE.

Yes, got that edit in before you re 2024.

Not that it would, but that it could. Meaning you're leaving a well-paying job to perhaps start at the bottom of a low-paying firm, maybe not even securing a TC and potentially reverting to the nursing gig. OP might find a TC with US or MC, but the odds are against them.
Original post by J-SP
Not that many nurses even attempt it so it’s really hard to even make assumptions of someone’s chances. If it was possible for Jennifer Bethlehem though....

No, I wasn't making assumptions. It was poor phrasing on my part.
Reply 4
Hummm well I’m self funding the GDL. Had planned to do the LPC then training contract.

The SQC is just exams so there will be training courses in place. So figured I would either continue the traditional route or look at doing a short course or see what’s available to do the SQE 1. Or if the GDL would suffice to pass the SQE1. If I got a training contract I would likely continue the traditional route.

How hard is the GDl? Part time? Is it crazy tough?

Thank you for your comments!!
Reply 5
Nervous I’m about to throw away loads of money to be honest 😕

I don’t want to continue nursing full time, however will always do agency/bank to keep my pin. It’s not the career for me. I will
Obviously work full time whilst training to pay the bills though!!
Reply 6
No, none at all. I have emailed a few local firms asking for some work experience... do they call it vacasion schemes?? Heard nothing back though!
Reply 7
Original post by J-SP
Before anyone commits to the GDL I reckon they should see what the job is like in reality. People have a strange perception of what it’s like to be a solicitor - probably glamourised by too many TV shows and films, and even if you know lawyers they don’t really bore you with the detail of what they do. I seriously wouldn’t sign up to the GDL unless you truly know what your letting yourself in for.

I absolute agree, hence desperately trying to find some experience in a firm. I do appreciate the dullness of the job though 🙈. As a nurse I spend 12-14 hours on my feet, running around desperate for a wee with critical patients in my care and not a moments peace or time to myself. I then spend my days of doing much the same with children. I want to be in solitude doing repetitive paperwork 😂
Reply 8
Original post by J-SP
I don’t think you’d find solitude - in fact you can find yourself constantly being harassed by someone. I only difference I see from what you have said is that instead of being on your feet, your have a numb backside where you’ve been sat on it for far too long. Everything else sounds quite similar.

Ha brilliant 😂 well it’s hard to say. I have this discussion daily with my partner! Just a shame I have not managed to get some time in a firm really. I plan to send out an email today actually for one that looks promising... but getting close to starting now so doesn’t give me much time!

Fingers crossed they get back to me.

Has anyone done the GDL part time or full? Is it extreamly tough?
Reply 9
I am a nurse/health visitor with 2 toddlers starting the GDL in September !
Child safeguarding / legal work experience has led me to this career change..!
I’ve done some minis and have some lined up with barristers who are ex nurses. Obviously I am going down the barrister route as opposed to solicitor.

You just have to go for it. No use questioning now you’ve paid your deposit !! You will be fine but get some work experience and expect to work hard. Expect to apply cerebral effort where you’re used to physical effort maybe ?!

Have you done the online legal method yet ? I am almost finished and loving it. That should give you a taste of the foundation.

Also, we will probably find the method of learning similar to our Nursing as it is very methodical and scientific. Law has a similar feel. I was told by an lpc tutor that I would find it easy for this reason, especially having worked and studied at the same time. The tutor said those that did the classics find Law a steep learning curve due to the expectations and formula needed to answer problems.
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m a Nurse!!

Changing to Law.... finished GDL and starting LPC! Best best decision EVER! Wish I did this sooner :-)

All the very best to you!
Ps.... I work part time (22.5 hours) and mange the study with an active toddler! If you want something badly in life you will find a way x
(edited 5 years ago)
Yayyyy I’m also a health visitor ;-)
Reply 13
Original post by LH858450
Yayyyy I’m also a health visitor ;-)

Amazing! PM me ?
Sent you a PM x
Hello ,I am also a nurse who is planning to do gdl.i am also anxious about the decision.how did it go for you.is there anything I can do to prepare myself for the course.any advice will be so much appreciated.Thanks
Original post by NHarris1988
Nervous I’m about to throw away loads of money to be honest 😕

I don’t want to continue nursing full time, however will always do agency/bank to keep my pin. It’s not the career for me. I will
Obviously work full time whilst training to pay the bills though!!

Hello ,I am also a nurse who is planning to do gdl.i am also anxious about the decision.how did it go for you.is there anything I can do to prepare myself for the course.any advice will be so much appreciated.Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending