A level choices

Watch this thread
mj250
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm struggling to decide between A level photography and A level film studies. I love making films and watching films but there's not the practical element of making films in film studies anymore. If I don't enjoy the films we watch is it still fun? I'd like the practical element in photography and could I make and submit films instead of photos? I'm doing two other essay based subjects so I'd like my third subject to be one I really enjoy.
MissUnicorn
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
First ask yourself, do you see yourself in the movie industry?
Note that despite both being considered 'soft' by universities, both are known to require huge amounts of dedication. The ultimate question is, will you enjoy having to spend a large chunk of your time on either?
Are your other two subjects facilitating? As universities like the facilitating A levels (esp Russell Group)
In my opinion, I believe photography could be a better option as pictures are more widely used, professional photographers get a lot of money!
Have you considered media studies? Media offers both elements. That could be some thing for you to bear in mind
mj250
Rep:
(Original post by MissUnicorn)
First ask yourself, do you see yourself in the movie industry?
Note that despite both being considered 'soft' by universities, both are known to require huge amounts of dedication. The ultimate question is, will you enjoy having to spend a large chunk of your time on either?
Are your other two subjects facilitating? As universities like the facilitating A levels (esp Russell Group)
In my opinion, I believe photography could be a better option as pictures are more widely used, professional photographers get a lot of money!
Have you considered media studies? Media offers both elements. That could be some thing for you to bear in mind
I would love to work in TV or film and I know they are both considered 'soft' but I'm taking two other facilitating subjects (history and Spanish). I think I'd enjoy both to be honest.
MissUnicorn
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mj250)
I would love to work in TV or film and I know they are both considered 'soft' but I'm taking two other facilitating subjects (history and Spanish). I think I'd enjoy both to be honest.
Ok, I mean that industry doesn't require either but I feel like media would be more versatile
If I were you, I would check the specification on an exam board website (preferably your sixth form or colleges one) and compare the content of both courses
Rezwan_
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I agree with MissUnicorn. If you looked at past papers, method of assessment anf stuff it would probably be easier to make a decision. I wish I did that before choosing to study the A levels I chose. Do you know what exam board you will be with?
mj250
Rep:
(Original post by Rezwan_)
I agree with MissUnicorn. If you looked at past papers, method of assessment anf stuff it would probably be easier to make a decision. I wish I did that before choosing to study the A levels I chose. Do you know what exam board you will be with?
AQA I think. And I've looked at the course outlines, they both look really interesting and fun to me.
Harriso1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Personally I think the best combination for wanting to study film at university would be: English Literature, History, Language and Media.

Media: Most likely encompasses elements of photography & film Studies. Broader and more common for film students. Cheaper than photography. Practical element. Will give a clearer idea of the different paths to travel.

English Literature: Displays good understanding of the fictional writing world, useful for screenplays, ability to transfer analytical skills from screen to paper. Many film directors/writers start studying English Lit. Is generally considered a 'hard subject' and will stand out from many film applicants who likely studied for example 'media, psychology & sociology'. Essay based.

History & Language for similar reasons.
mj250
Rep:
(Original post by Harriso1)
Personally I think the best combination for wanting to study film at university would be: English Literature, History, Language and Media.

Media: Most likely encompasses elements of photography & film Studies. Broader and more common for film students. Cheaper than photography. Practical element. Will give a clearer idea of the different paths to travel.

English Literature: Displays good understanding of the fictional writing world, useful for screenplays, ability to transfer analytical skills from screen to paper. Many film directors/writers start studying English Lit. Is generally considered a 'hard subject' and will stand out from many film applicants who likely studied for example 'media, psychology & sociology'. Essay based.

History & Language for similar reasons.
I can only take three subjects but I hadn't considered Media. I assumed it was just marketing and advertising but after looking at the subject outline, it looks quite interesting and includes practical elements that I would get from photography. English lit is still an option too and I really love the books they study. Thank you for the breakdown of reasons though, that's actually really helpful. I'm think about possibly doing History, Spanish and Media now
Harriso1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mj250)
I can only take three subjects but I hadn't considered Media. I assumed it was just marketing and advertising but after looking at the subject outline, it looks quite interesting and includes practical elements that I would get from photography. English lit is still an option too and I really love the books they study. Thank you for the breakdown of reasons though, that's actually really helpful. I'm think about possibly doing History, Spanish and Media now
That sounds like a good combination.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (117)
68.82%
No (34)
20%
I didn't use it to prepare (19)
11.18%

Watched Threads