The Student Room Group

Teacher Training Applicants Thread 2019!

Applying for Teacher Training for 2019 entry? :biggrin:

This thread is the place for you!

Here you can meet other applicants and chat during the application process.

Name:
Applying at:

Give as much or as little detail as you want

There's lots of different ways to get into teaching. This guide may help you if you're not sure.

I'll be applying for secondary chemistry! :tongue:

You can sign up and apply for Teacher Training on UCAS here.
Or for more information about that process, see here.

When you've applied then you should get replies within 40 working days
You must respond to these within a further 10 working days

If you have a question about QTS tests, take a look at this thread first.

If you're undertaking a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course then you can find the dedicated thread to them here.

Don't forget that if you're in Scotland, the PGDE is orchestrated through the undergraduate application system. In addition to this thread there is an additional PDGE 2019 applicants thread here.

Also, here's a little motivator if you feel like you need a bit of inspiration.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bloom77
Is it too early to start this haha!?

Im interested in teaching secondary chemistry :tongue:

Definitely not too early! I've been counting down until I can apply for over a year now! I'm applying for Primary (3-7) - planning to apply to Cambridge, UEA, and a Schools Direct alliance in York.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Definitely not too early! I've been counting down until I can apply for over a year now! I'm applying for Primary (3-7) - planning to apply to Cambridge, UEA, and a Schools Direct alliance in York.

Ooh, That's great!
I'm still undecided about my university choices :/
I haven't got any experience either
Original post by Bloom77
Ooh, That's great!
I'm still undecided about my university choices :/
I haven't got any experience either

Still quite a while till the end of October, I wouldn't worry! I'm currently stressing over my personal statement - forgot how hellish it was to write the undergrad one years ago, and now the character limit seems miniscule.
Posting to subscribe to this thread.:smile:

Not too early at all OP.:wink:
theres an online event on the getintoteaching website for 2019 applicants if anyone's interested 😋
I'm looking at trying to get into a history PGCE. Is it too early to register for UCAS and all that?

I'm also trying to find some school experience
Original post by Helllllllllllo
I'm looking at trying to get into a history PGCE. Is it too early to register for UCAS and all that?

I'm also trying to find some school experience

UCAS opens on 9th October, the same day we can apply - unfortunately it doesn't open early for registration like undergrad does, as I'd really like to get all the admin bits done ahead of time!

Good luck with finding school experience, you just have to be persistent but eventually it should work out.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm a 2018 applicant, starting my PGCE in a month's time!

Some top tips from this year:

Sort your referees out - your UCAS application won't get sent until your referees have submitted references for you, so ask them asap.

Have your favourite training provider in mind, but be prepared to change your mind! Remember at an interview you are also interviewing them (although much more discreetly!).

Get a folder at the ready as the important documents stack up fast. You'll need a UCAS letter when you take your skills tests, you'll need copies of everything to send to your training provider, you'll need to get a DBS check, etc etc

Be true to yourself and why you personally want to be a teacher and you can't go far wrong.

Good luck everyone!
Original post by rillette

Sort your referees out - your UCAS application won't get sent until your referees have submitted references for you, so ask them asap.

Have your favourite training provider in mind, but be prepared to change your mind! Remember at an interview you are also interviewing them (although much more discreetly!).

Get a folder at the ready as the important documents stack up fast. You'll need a UCAS letter when you take your skills tests, you'll need copies of everything to send to your training provider, you'll need to get a DBS check, etc etc

Be true to yourself and why you personally want to be a teacher and you can't go far wrong.

Good luck everyone!

thank youu! and good luck! :tongue:
what is your PGCE in?
Does anyone know if there's a huge difference between the two editions of the numeracy and literacy skills test book?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1526419238/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
Original post by Bloom77
Does anyone know if there's a huge difference between the two editions of the numeracy and literacy skills test book?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1526419238/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

The actual content of the tests hasn't changed in a few years so I don't think there would be a difference except for, according to one review, an extra 16 questions in the new Numeracy book! I haven't bought those, but I've been using "Teachers' Skills Tests for Dummies" for both tests, and "Pass the QTS Numeracy Skills Test With Ease 2018-2020" for Numeracy, and they've both been really useful.
The actual content of the tests hasn't changed in a few years so I don't think there would be a difference except for, according to one review, an extra 16 questions in the new Numeracy book! I haven't bought those, but I've been using "Teachers' Skills Tests for Dummies" for both tests, and "Pass the QTS Numeracy Skills Test With Ease 2018-2020" for Numeracy, and they've both been really useful.

ahhhh thanks!
Original post by rillette

Good luck everyone!

That's really good advice. Thank you.
I'm currently writing my personal statement and apparently it is advised on some websites to talk about the observation of the national curriculum during the placement. Is this recommended?
Original post by Bloom77
I'm currently writing my personal statement and apparently it is advised on some websites to talk about the observation of the national curriculum during the placement. Is this recommended?

I think we need to show awareness of the curriculum but there isn't exactly space to parrot the curriculum itself so I'm keeping it brief, just showing that I broadly know what my areas (EYFS and KS1) entail. I'm not doing anything like X is what they learn in Literacy in Year 1 or even I saw the use of the book Supertato for XYZ in Reception because I simply don't have space!
I think we need to show awareness of the curriculum but there isn't exactly space to parrot the curriculum itself so I'm keeping it brief, just showing that I broadly know what my areas (EYFS and KS1) entail. I'm not doing anything like X is what they learn in Literacy in Year 1 or even I saw the use of the book Supertato for XYZ in Reception because I simply don't have space!

Ooh! That makes sense, thanks!
My personal statement is currently all over the place :s-smilie:
Really want to get it over and done with by the time uni starts :tongue:
Original post by Bloom77
Ooh! That makes sense, thanks!
My personal statement is currently all over the place :s-smilie:
Really want to get it over and done with by the time uni starts :tongue:

Mine's a mess too, way over the limit yet it feels like I've barely written anything of use! Knowing how important it is stresses me out a bit, but like you I really want it to be over by the time the chaos of third year begins.
Reply 18
Original post by Bloom77
Is it too early to start this haha!?

Im interested in teaching secondary chemistry :tongue:

Hi!

I am applying to secondary Chemistry as well. Where are you thinking of applying?

I'm starting as a graduate cover supervisor in 2 weeks, so i'm hoping that a month of that will be enough for my personal statement. I'm also involved in a youth group and some 1:1 chemistry tutoring, so I might try and weave a few sentences about that in.

Are you doing straight chemistry or natural sciences?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by happyy
Hi!

I am applying to secondary Chemistry as well. Where are you thinking of applying?

I'm starting as a graduate cover supervisor in 2 weeks, so i'm hoping that a month of that will be enough for my personal statement. I'm also involved in a youth group and some 1:1 chemistry tutoring, so I might try and weave a few sentences about that in.

Are you doing straight chemistry or natural sciences?

Hey! 😋 I do pure chemistry
I really want to do it in IOE UCL, so that's definitely my first choice. I'm also thinking Kings and Greenwich but I'm not too sure about those options yet.
I've booked the open day for IOE.

That sounds great! I tutor science and maths up to GCSE too so I'll be adding that in.

where you thinking of applying? 😊

Quick Reply