The Student Room Group

Teacher Training Applicants Thread 2019!

Scroll to see replies

I just got an offer!! (Secondary Chem) :smile: I feel like a weight has been lifted. :smile:
Original post by iceangel8
I just booked them straight after each other to get them over with as they're both around 40 mins so it's not too bad and my test centre was pretty flexible. I could start the next one straight away but I kinda left the room then re-entered but that meant I found the results of my first one before which gave me confidence and put me at ease. I did numeracy first while I was the most alert. You should be fine :smile:

That's good to know as I booked mine back to back too. Although I'm doing the Literacy one first (to hopefully give me some confidence for the numeracy one afterwards).
(Original post by happyy)I just got an offer!! (Secondary Chem) :smile: I feel like a weight has been lifted. :smile:

yay congrats! I'm also doing secondary chem! where did you get the offer from?
Original post by thenextchemist
(Original post by happyy)I just got an offer!! (Secondary Chem) :smile: I feel like a weight has been lifted. :smile:

yay congrats! I'm also doing secondary chem! where did you get the offer from?

Cumbria :smile: You're doing yours near London, right?
I passed both my literacy and numeracy skills test on the first attempt :smile: I really thought I had failed numeracy as I found both slightly harder than the practice ones. If any one needs any help, I'll do my best to offer advice.

Such a relief. Can't wait until September now
Reply 1145
I took my first attempt at the skills test last month and to my dissmay I failed both by 1 mark each. My friend took them at the same time and had completely different questions and passed both first time. I'm planning to take them again in february so I have enough time to pass them next time. I think the key is to make sure you feel prepared before taking them. I had an interview on the day before so the majority of my attention was on that rather than the tests (GOT THE OFFER THOUGH) which meant I didnt feel confident walking into the test centre
someone linked to a great resource of common skills test spellings on a quiz website a couple of months ago and i cannot find it! does anyone know any good spelling tests for skills tests thats not the practice site?
Original post by LuPat
I took my first attempt at the skills test last month and to my dissmay I failed both by 1 mark each. My friend took them at the same time and had completely different questions and passed both first time. I'm planning to take them again in february so I have enough time to pass them next time. I think the key is to make sure you feel prepared before taking them. I had an interview on the day before so the majority of my attention was on that rather than the tests (GOT THE OFFER THOUGH) which meant I didnt feel confident walking into the test centre

Having done the numeracy 3 times, I found all 3 were completely different. In conversation with a current trainee at my school she was saying that she’s heard the tests do vary in difficulty and it’s luck of the draw of what you get on the day.
Original post by dingbat93
someone linked to a great resource of common skills test spellings on a quiz website a couple of months ago and i cannot find it! does anyone know any good spelling tests for skills tests thats not the practice site?

I’m pretty sure the guy is called Steve padget? Or something like that, on quizlet!
Original post by lauraaaaa
I’m pretty sure the guy is called Steve padget? Or something like that, on quizlet!

Quizlet! That's the site. I found it as soon as I typed it into my address bar.

https://quizlet.com/285346483/qts-literacy-flash-cards/

This is it for anyone interested
Hi,
I don't know if it'll interest anyone but I've got a maths skills test revision book I no longer need. I bought the book in November/December 2018 and passed my skills tests first time. I was rubbish at the maths preactices and then passed first time.

If you're interested in buying it, I'm selling it for £5 and then however much postage is.
Feel free to message me about it :smile:
Original post by ATinyRevolt
Yep - Early Primary, Jesus College

Hey!

ive got an interview on Tuesday for Cambridge secondary but haven’t been given any topic for the presentation. The letter was also only sent by email to me? Is this normal?
Original post by Muserock
For those who have taken their skills test, did anyone take them both on the same day (one after the other) and if so, did you remain in the test room to do your second before you find out both results?

I took both of mine back to back on Thursday and I just got them both when I finished my second one :smile:
Original post by Jarjarbings
Hey!

ive got an interview on Tuesday for Cambridge secondary but haven’t been given any topic for the presentation. The letter was also only sent by email to me? Is this normal?

I'm not sure unfortunately - the interview process was different for primary. I'd phone them first thing on Monday if it looks like a topic should've been provided.
Hi guys! I've applied to teach Modern Foreign Languages and have an interview at Oxford next week. I wondered if anyone who has already interviewed there could share how long they had to stay for the interview?

Also, RE the skills tests - I'm struggling with the practice Numeracy tests and wondered if anyone has any advice for the mental arithmetic section? It seems to be bringing me under the pass mark every time, despite me doing a lot of practice and revising times tables...

Original post by languagenerd
Hi guys! I've applied to teach Modern Foreign Languages and have an interview at Oxford next week. I wondered if anyone who has already interviewed there could share how long they had to stay for the interview?

Also, RE the skills tests - I'm struggling with the practice Numeracy tests and wondered if anyone has any advice for the mental arithmetic section? It seems to be bringing me under the pass mark every time, despite me doing a lot of practice and revising times tables...

Find the YouTube video called ‘QTS Numeracy Skills Test - Mental Arithmetic Tips and Tricks’ with a woman called Julie Kevill speaking. She goes through all the common questions, which can be grouped into several categories. I found the real one to be a lot easier than the practice ones, but was still achiving around 75%+ on those before the real one. There’s also numeracy ready, which costs £20 for 20 tests. They aren’t exactly identical to the practice ones, but you get used to working out questions under a time limit! You basically just need to keep practicing, and look out for patterns such as the lowest common factors in two numbers etc
Hey,
I've applied for PGCE with QTS in secondary chemistry at Brunel, Hertforshire and Reading. I applied on the 22nd Jan, I applied for Roehampton instead of Brunel at first and automatically recieved a rejection but UCAS gives the option to change choices, so I swapped the rejection for Brunel. On the 23rd Jan I receieved an aknowledgement email from Reading with a follow up email on the 24th with details for logging into their applicant number then on the 28th I recieved an invite for an interview at Reading which is on Monday (04/02/19).

Super nevous for the interview as Reading is my first choice for my PGCE studies. I've had my heart set on studying there for over a year.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by eilish1903
Hey,
I've applied for PGCE with QTS in secondary chemistry at Brunel, Hertforshire and Reading. I applied on the 22nd Jan, I applied for Roehampton instead of Brunel at first and automatically recieved a rejection but UCAS gives the option to change choices, so I swapped the rejection for Brunel. On the 23rd Jan I receieved an aknowledgement email from Reading with a follow up email on the 24th with details for logging into their applicant number then on the 28th I recieved an invite for an interview at Reading which is on Monday (04/02/19).

Super nevous for the interview as Reading is my first choice for my PGCE studies. I've had my heart set on studying there for over a year.

Best of luck with your interview. I was really nervous for mine too but it was quite relaxed in the end. What you have to remember is that they want you to do well too.
Original post by eilish1903
Hey,

My Secondary Chemistry interview were relaxed and encouraging. The interviews were straight forward e.g. why do you want to teach? what is the role of a form tutor? what have you learnt from your school expereince? All of the questions were reasonable. I'm sure you will be great and good luck!! :smile:
Original post by happyy
My Secondary Chemistry interview were relaxed and encouraging. The interviews were straight forward e.g. why do you want to teach? what is the role of a form tutor? what have you learnt from your school expereince? All of the questions were reasonable. I'm sure you will be great and good luck!! :smile:

Original post by Muserock
Best of luck with your interview. I was really nervous for mine too but it was quite relaxed in the end. What you have to remember is that they want you to do well too.

Thanks guys, quick question though. I have seen a few posts in the thread about people getting rejected because they didn't have a grade B in maths at A Level. Does anyone know if this applies for Reading? I dropped the subject at AS level but I do have an A level in Physics, which in my opinion, has harder maths questions than physics. I was just terrible at statistics :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending