The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Potentially missed offer, medicine

I have firmed my offer to study medicine at St Andrews however I am almost certain I have missed the grade required for one of my A-level subjects, physics. I was wondering if anyone has been admitted in the past who also missed their offer, for any course at the university. (I know with medicine my chances would be extremely, extremely slim, but I am intrigued nevertheless).
Thanks.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Depends on the Uni. I heard of some Unis letting people in with 3 Bs while others were turning students away for missing their offer by a mark.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Same I think i messed up my exams and will probably get AAB or ABB. Chances are slim to none so its probably best to call your firm on results day and see what they can do for you.
this is gonna sound harsh, but if you can't get As in your A levels you're really gonna struggle with the intensity of a medicine degree course. maybe it's for the best
Reply 4
Original post by CollectiveSoul
this is gonna sound harsh, but if you can't get As in your A levels you're really gonna struggle with the intensity of a medicine degree course. maybe it's for the best

It sounds harsh, and it isn’t true. There are people who slightly miss their grades and who don’t get fantastic A-levels and come in as a graduate who do well in a medical degree.
Original post by ax12
It sounds harsh, and it isn’t true. There are people who slightly miss their grades and who don’t get fantastic A-levels and come in as a graduate who do well in a medical degree.

as a graduate, perhaps indeed.
There are occasions where people are let in to St Andrews with just missing their offers, but it's normally in the less popular subjects. I wouldn't think Medicine would take anyone who misses their offer.
so many unis last year went into clearing for medicine like liverpool and sheffield.
what uni is ur firm?
Original post by anonymous1231231
so many unis last year went into clearing for medicine like liverpool and sheffield.
what uni is ur firm?

just realised its in the st andrews forum lol
do u have an insurance

No I completely get where you're coming from, its just that I didn't need to take physics to get in so I am just frustrated with myself for not picking a 'softer' third subject. (I found chemistry and biology really enjoyable).
Original post by anonymous1231231
just realised its in the st andrews forum lol
do u have an insurance

St Andrews was firmed for medicine and then I have biomedical science as an insurance (ABB).
Original post by MedReapp2019
Same I think i messed up my exams and will probably get AAB or ABB. Chances are slim to none so its probably best to call your firm on results day and see what they can do for you.

Thank you, will do. Good luck to you though, where did you firm? :smile:
Original post by la_banane_verte
There are occasions where people are let in to St Andrews with just missing their offers, but it's normally in the less popular subjects. I wouldn't think Medicine would take anyone who misses their offer.

Do you know if they have ever accepted anyone originally for medicine onto an alternative science related course with AAB instead of complete rejection? I know neuroscience, biomolecular science, cell biology, etc require AAB.
Reply 13

You're wrong - people miss grades for whatever reason. I know a girl who failed first year Medicine, repeated the year and went on to finish the rest of her degree without a blip.
Original post by MedReapp2019

Not if they've already rejected you! They will have already reviewed your application ...

You are deluded. Your A levels have no bearing on how successful you can potentially be at degree level. They are largely irrelevent once you get to university in terms of indicating your performance. Someone with 3 B's could do medicine its not a hard degree conceptually. Its hard in terms of work loads and hospital placements. It takes a whole different set of skills to be good at medicine then it does to be good at A levels.

Please don't post your bad advice again, you are probably a school child.
Original post by Boredomstrikes
Depends on the Uni. I heard of some Unis letting people in with 3 Bs while others were turning students away for missing their offer by a mark.

Do you know of any from St Andrews in particular?
Original post by moor_tneduts_eht
Thank you, will do. Good luck to you though, where did you firm? :smile:

I've firmed Liverpool but im trying not to think too much about it because im 80% certain i won't get AAA
Original post by exam freak
Your A levels have no bearing on how successful you can potentially be at degree level.

Evidence?

Being good academically is obviously a big advanatge for doing a degree. There are some people that come into their element during a degree, that didn't achieve the same level of results before. However, on average, 'A' levels are a reasonable indicator of intelligence and ability, IMO.

Original post by exam freak
Someone with 3 B's could do medicine its not a hard degree conceptually. Its hard in terms of work loads and hospital placements. It takes a whole different set of skills to be good at medicine then it does to be good at A levels.

I don't disagree, but I would expect higher grades to increase the probability of doing well. They're not the only requirement though.

Universities, who you'd think would know, select on the basis of 'A' level results, amongst other things.
Reply 19
Original post by RogerOxon
I don't disagree, but I would expect higher grades to increase the probability of doing well. They're not the only requirement though.

Universities, who you'd think would know, select on the basis of 'A' level results, amongst other things.

https://www.bmj.com/content/324/7343/952
Previous academic attainment may account for some variance at medical school (looking at admission tests etc as well) but isn’t huge, and has pretty much no bearing at a post-graduate level.

Quick Reply