vickkyyx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I heard from people that it's really interesting but then some people say that it's really boring.I do find psychology interesting,and how the mind works but Idk would it be like I have expected to be.So what is it like??is it hard/easy/in between??what do unis think of it??and more importantly what kind topics are covered coz I can not find any
ruthf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vickkyyx)
I heard from people that it's really interesting but then some people say that it's really boring.I do find psychology interesting,and how the mind works but Idk would it be like I have expected to be.So what is it like??is it hard/easy/in between??what do unis think of it??and more importantly what kind topics are covered coz I can not find any
I did OCR psychology and each exam board is different so take this with a grain of salt if you’re considering AQA. I found the majority of psychology interesting but research methods isn’t particularly interesting. Mathematically it’s very basic so I never even got the satisfaction out of it in the sense that I’d just worked through a difficult problem. The exception to this is the non-parametric tests but you are never likely to be asked to calculate a whole test in the exam so we only ever practised this in class. In the second year, all of the topics I found very interesting. We did child, mental health and criminal psychology. In the first year I honestly found the cognitive psychological studies quite dull but I found all of the other areas interesting. I find it hard to believe that there is any A-level subject without at least certain small parts that are tedious. Just really study the syllabus and consider whether you’d find the majority of it interesting. If you’d be bored the whole time it honestly isn’t worth it but personally I found it to be a generally very interesting course.
Mayowa22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did AQA Psychology and it is really interesting however it is a lot to remember as by year 13 you have to remember 5 evaluative points for each topic , and each unit e.g psychopathology. Generally tends to have around 10 topics, I loved it but as long as you are consistently revising as you learn a new unit then it will not be too much of a struggle. If you don’t leave revision till last minute it will be a breeze
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hello,
even tho psych isnt a facilitating a level, as long as youre doing it with two subjects that are you should choose it!
by that most unis want at least 2 traditional subjects like sciences, maths, languages, history, economics

id say to look at the spec if u know the exam board, but theyre all quite similar content wise its just the exam layout thats different. i dont study it, but my friends that do seem to enjoy the essay side but arent crazy about the science maths side, so take that as u will.
seruzachan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Psychology is great: use this questions to practise if you want a headstart: https://alevelsresources424893.wordp...and-year-2-a2/
Pink fizz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing aqa and there's a lot to learn. This year (year 12) we've done: social influence, memory, attachment, psychopathology, approaches, biopsychology and research methods. Each one is split into different sub-topics (e.g. For social influence there's: Milgram, Zimbardo, Asch and some others). Biopsych is the smallest unit but for me it's the hardest because I hate biology
Mayowa22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did AQA Psychology and it is really interesting however it is a lot to remember as by year 13 you have to remember 5 evaluative points for each topic , and each unit e.g psychopathology. Generally tends to have around 10 topics, I loved it but as long as you are consistently revising as you learn a new unit then it will not be too much of a struggle. If you don’t leave revision till last minute it will be a breeze
minivampire
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vickkyyx)
Hey,
I took A-level Psychology through the exam board AQA.
I didn't take it at GCSE, likr some people did - but found it easy to understand
Psychology is a very interesting subject, everyone in my class preferred it over other subjects which they took.

At A-level the topics were;
Paper 1 - Social influence, memory, attachment and psychopathology (depression, ocd and phobias)
*everyone I talk to finds paper 1 very easy.

Paper 2 - Biopsychology, approaches and research methods.
*honestly, I hated biopsyc the most. But on the exam day the questions were surprisingly easy!

Paper 3 - Issues and debates, plus three other topics. You have a list to choose from I chose; relationships, forensics and schizophrenia.

If you want the websited which I normally usrd and my teacher as well;
- SimplyPsychology
- Tutor2u (these are also on youtube)
So you can get a taste of the subject

Also take a look at these experiments; Zimbardo (also made as a movie), Milgram, Asch, Bowlby.... very interesting in my opinion!

The only thing which people found tricky were the evaluation (peel) points, because if you want an A/A* you really need to try and remember 4/5 for whichever topic you are asked about in the exam.
However this does eventually get easier.

It is well accepted by unis so don't worry about that! I took Psyc and now I'm off to Univetsity to study Psychology

Generally people dislike research methods, it's not because it is hard... it might be because the questions are sometimes worded a tad weird xD

It does make it easier if you take other Alevrls alongside Psyc which overlap with it.
I took health and social and sociology, which both linked to topics in Psyc, making revision easier (others took English or Biology).

There is maths involved, and whrn I found this out I thought "oh no..." but there is barely any maths whatsoever! E.g. we had a question to calculate the mean once.
AmberStudies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm going into the A2 of AQA Psych. I absolutely loved AS year and it's led to me wanting to do psychology at uni (yeah I know, micky mouse degree)! Learning about how the brain works is more A2 (e.g localisation, plasticity etc).
A-Level psych is quite challenging due to the sheer amount of content but also very rewarding. As long as you keep up from the start i.e making notes and also have a decent foundation in the maths/science content (research methods) you will be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
61.02%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.9%