The Student Room Group

Clearing, Entry Req. and Grades Worry

Hi! I am worried about my grades and if I will get in to Uni

Question: The conditions say 120 UCAS points and ‘A Levels should be above a C’. I take 3 A Levels and 1 BTEC. One of my a levels is Maths and I think I will get a D in it.. even if I had a D and then my predicted grades in my other subjects, it still adds up to 120 UCAS points. Do you think they will reject me if I get a D in maths? Please help I can’t stop worrying about it 😭

Also, if I am not in England and I don’t get in, can I go through clearing myself or is it more likely I get a place through clearing if I am in school with my teacher?
I can't answer your first question for sure, it would generally depend on factors such as how many others didn't meet this requirement, whether the subject is relevant etc.
You can still go through clearing if you are not in England. Typically students here won't be with a teacher and this definitely won't affect if you get an offer or not so it would be up to you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lemur14
I can't answer your first question for sure, it would generally depend on factors such as how many others didn't meet this requirement, whether the subject is relevant etc.
You can still go through clearing if you are not in England. Typically students here won't be with a teacher and this definitely won't affect if you get an offer or not so it would be up to you :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply. So how does it work if I find out I have been rejected? Do I call up my original (firm) university I wanted to go first and ask them if they can still accept me if I missed the grade by 1?
Reply 3
If it helps, I’m waiting for my A level results too and every day I’m worrying about what I’ve got in my exams but I guess what it comes down to is that assuming you’ve revised and prepared properly then you’ve done your best and that’s all you can do
Original post by juliakoczij
Thank you so much for your reply. So how does it work if I find out I have been rejected? Do I call up my original (firm) university I wanted to go first and ask them if they can still accept me if I missed the grade by 1?

Usually they would be unlikely to take you unfortunately. Most universities consider those who have just missed very carefully either to select which people to take the remaining places or if there are more places than people, what the absolute minimum standard would be before they feel you wouldn't benefit from the course as your ability would hinder you.
You can give it a go, but it's generally an outside chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Lemur14
Usually they would be unlikely to take you unfortunately. Most universities consider those who have just missed very carefully either to select which people to take the remaining places or if there are more places than people, what the absolute minimum standard would be before they feel you wouldn't benefit from the course as your ability would hinder you.
You can give it a go, but it's generally an outside chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay so then in that case, where do I start? How do I start going through clearing? Straight away calling uni’s or applying through UCAS? How does it work
Original post by juliakoczij
Okay so then in that case, where do I start? How do I start going through clearing? Straight away calling uni’s or applying through UCAS? How does it work

So first you'd use the UCAS search tool to look at which unis/courses have places and you'd like to go to. Then you phone them up, give your clearing number, your grades and which course you want a place on. They then make a decision about if they want to offer you a place (and if they do, usually a deadline to accept it)
You can collect up as many verbal offers as you like (but be aware unis will be serious about the deadlines and they may be quite quick. If you don't add the place by then they will most likely decline you by which point you may have missed many other deadlines)
At 3pm, you are able to add clearing choices on track. You have to be careful to add it for the correct uni/course and go through the process "I have a verbal offer" etc. Then it's a waiting game. Hopefully they should confirm your place quite quickly but depending on how many people are joining through clearing it could take them a little while.
Once it's confirmed, you have your place :smile: It may be wise to look at accommodation quite quickly also as depending on the uni it may be limited for those who it was not their firm choice.
Hope that makes sense :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
the ucas points of 120 usually refers to youe best 4 subjects not 4 ie 3 a levels of 2 a levels and a btec. check this to ensure you have the appropriate ucas points. if your btec and 2 a levels amountto 120 then your Maths probably wont count unles its subject specific for a particular subject. D,B,C will probably suffice.
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
the ucas points of 120 usually refers to youe best 4 subjects not 4 ie 3 a levels of 2 a levels and a btec. check this to ensure you have the appropriate ucas points. if your btec and 2 a levels amountto 120 then your Maths probably wont count unles its subject specific for a particular subject. D,B,C will probably suffice.

So you’re saying they may not take my maths into account ? That would be amazing . The course I’m applying for is Strategic Fashion Management at Univeristy of Arts London
check with the university but is normal for best 3 subjects to count and those need to add up to 120 points. You wouldnt be able to include the Maths towards the ucas points. That is usually the case but only the university can know what it means.
Original post by swanseajack1
check with the university but is normal for best 3 subjects to count and those need to add up to 120 points. You wouldnt be able to include the Maths towards the ucas points. That is usually the case but only the university can know what it means.

Thank you so much really helps me, are you waiting for results on the 16th of August or have you passed that stage 😊?
you will be fine. the standard typical A-level offer** is only 3 subjects...I doubt 1 bad grade on 1 subject out of 4 will affect or hinder your points severely.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by TerribleGrades
you will be fine. the standard typical A-level is only 3 subjects...I doubt 1 bad grade on 1 subject out of 4 will affect or hinder your points severely.

thank you so much xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending