The Student Room Group

Which Uni should I choose for a masters in IR? Having trouble choosing!

I am an student who recieved a Bachelors in IR. I want to pursue and MA in it as well. I received a unconditional offer from Bristol, Birmingham, Exeter , and Bath. I wasnt expecting to get into all of them! I do not know which offer to take. Which Uni would you attend?
Original post by purpledog15
I am an student who recieved a Bachelors in IR. I want to pursue and MA in it as well. I received a unconditional offer from Bristol, Birmingham, Exeter , and Bath. I wasnt expecting to get into all of them! I do not know which offer to take. Which Uni would you attend?

Hi, Congrats on your offers!

An MA in IR is likely to be very different at different universities. Look at the courses and what they teach and see what suits you best.
If you still can't decide, also think about the type of place you want to live. Living in a city like Bristol or Birmingham is going to be a very different experience to Bath or Exeter.
Finally, think about what you want to do when you finish your MA. For example, for me, when picking a masters course, I considered whether it was somewhere that had lots of opportunities for PhD study.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Concur with Nicole14510's comments. IR is inter-disciplinary course and you need to prioritize your areas of interests. There are the core modules gov, policy analysis and political economy. These are similar at all IR MScs. But programmes differ in electives and research clusters. Some IR prgms are stronger focused on security, peace with a regional coverage in Middle East. Other have a EU relations focus. Other areas include development, gender/income equality, human rights, education and health etc.

You need to know yr interests and match them with the programme wih the best fit. Look at teaching methods: only traditional essays/exams or experimential learning?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending