The Student Room Group

Americans??

So, I’m an American studying on the general course next year, and I was just wondering what attitudes towards Americans are like on campus. I was kind of expecting there to be some universal annoyance with the stereotypical student from the States, but I’ve seen some pretty harsh stuff while perusing through some of these threads... users saying Americans are the worst internationals there, and ones you wouldn’t want to come across. Do many people feel this way?

Additionally, what do students think when they think of the American student? I feel like even at my college at home, there are numerous cultural differences abounding between students coming from different regions in the States. I’m not sure then what the American stereotype is... besides maybe loud and unmannerly.
Reply 1
Original post by Oliea98
So, I’m an American studying on the general course next year, and I was just wondering what attitudes towards Americans are like on campus. I was kind of expecting there to be some universal annoyance with the stereotypical student from the States, but I’ve seen some pretty harsh stuff while perusing through some of these threads... users saying Americans are the worst internationals there, and ones you wouldn’t want to come across. Do many people feel this way?

Additionally, what do students think when they think of the American student? I feel like even at my college at home, there are numerous cultural differences abounding between students coming from different regions in the States. I’m not sure then what the American stereotype is... besides maybe loud and unmannerly.

I don't really think Americans are any different tbh. University campuses are pretty diverse so it's not like people will start stereotyping you because you're American. You'll be fine, don't worry.
Original post by Oliea98

You should link such threads. I havent seen them.

Unis are very cosmopolitan and American students are one of the smaller contingents , but it depends which uni you go to.
I wouldnt worry at all and you will be taken as people find you.
I doubt there is universal annoyance and you are worried over nothing.
I wouldnt let TSR influence your thoughts as TSR has a large muslim population and some of them arent too impressed with US foreign policy. They arent the majority though.

If you came to the UK you should be perfectly fine and accepted no matter which uni you attended.
Just avoid being arrogant and you will be fine. Have an open mind.
Reply 3
I’ve not heard of people hating Americans specifically at university but I’ve definitely heard of Americans being hated when visiting foreign countries. General stereotype is Americans are rude, entitled, obnoxious and loud. Avoid doing any of those things and you’ll be fine.
Reply 4
at my uni american exchange students got a bad rap cos they're annoying and loud and rude. i would expect banter from students and locals but not straight up bullying. it wont be as rosy as the folk above say
if you voted trump...you may have some explaining to do. as long as you say it was only to block hilary getting in, and that you're not a real trump supporter. unless you are...then best don't come. I'm just trying to help.
I have had American friends at uni, but won't lie, you lot are more arrogant, and do talk a lot of crap. This is a criticism, I know, but we all have negative aspects of out personality, and just accept people for who they are.
let me have another stab at this. If you got to a top uni: oxbridge, bristol, warwick, ucl, lse etc. people are very welcoming to interntational students and they will be very pleased to meet someone who is "foreign" - you will be new, interesting, intriguing etc in their eyes. The liberal elite (who populate top unis) don't like too much white/english-washing so therefore you will be seen as a splash of colour (even if you are white), and it will work in your favour. They will be showing off about their new american friend and their new russian friend and german friend (makes them look cosmopolitan, globally networked). English liberal elites (don't call them this) can be very self-deprecating and find themselves very boring and dull so if you waltz in off the plane from florida, new york, west coast etc. it's going to be rather glamorous and exciting (down play it though). We may not all want to admit it, but americans are sexy, confident, have incredibly sexy accents (when it's soft, please don't do the vocal fry), have had a wider experience of life probably, come from a more exciting country(but not all good excitement). This can all work for you, but the only things to be careful of are the negative stereotypes about americans: loud, brash, aggressively feminist (if a woman), want to win everything, love brands, fake niceness (the 'have a nice day' bs), overly religious, think the world looks up to them, thinks they are the centre of the universe. Saying that you hate america and americans and they are so stupid and their politics is foiked up (particularly regarding their voting habits -trump, bush; and their love of 2nd ammendment and their hindering of stem cell research) and you are worried for the future, would put you in good stead imo. It will make people think - ah this american is alright, maybe they aren't that bad after all. As I said, I'm trying to help...If I've insulted you, don't worry I'm close to being banned on this site for saying it how it is. and sorry I can't do paragraphs on here.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending