The Student Room Group

Will going to UCL disadvantage me when going into banking

I plan to study mechanical engineering at uni and I'm thinking of applying to UCL as my first choice. Then Bath, Cambridge and Imperial. I've only been to Cambridge and UCL and I immediately prefered it at UCL for some strange reason.
I still plan on visiting Imperial and Bath but right now I'm focused on UCL.
Will my choice disadvantage me when it comes to going into an investment bank/hedge fund?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SkylineS4
I plan to study mechanical engineering at uni and I'm thinking of applying to UCL as my first choice. Then Bath, Cambridge and Imperial. I've only been to Cambridge and UCL and I immediately prefered it at UCL for some strange reason.
I still plan on visiting Imperial and Bath but right now I'm focused on UCL.
Will my choice disadvantage me when it comes to going into an investment bank/hedge fund?

why on earth would it? legitimately, tell me, why one of the biggest feeders into finance would disadvantage you..

the quality of some of you guys asking questions on this forum has really deteriorated over the past year or so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
What will disadvantage is saying stuff like that. Ofc it won't UCL is great for getting into IB.
UCL is classed as one of the top unis? Why would it disadvantage you?
WTF has happened to this forum. People asking questions like this really shouldn't be applying to places like these.
Original post by exam freak
WTF has happened to this forum. People asking questions like this really shouldn't be applying to places like these.

yeah it's ****ed man. hopefully when we're in the screening/interviewing spots ourselves we can weed these folks out srs

it's a shame because this forum used to have really good discussions with great people but now it's just folk who cba to google before they ask a question or trolls ******** on others to make them feel good.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
yeah it's ****ed man. hopefully when we're in the screening/interviewing spots ourselves we can weed these folks out srs

it's a shame because this forum used to have really good discussions with great people but now it's just folk who cba to google before they ask a question or trolls ******** on others to make them feel good.

You work in IB yet? I'm trying to get into front office but i reckon i'll have to do a masters somewhere better then Nottingham to get in, and to make up for my shite 2:1 in chem eng. What uni did you go to?
(edited 5 years ago)
You work in IB yet? I'm trying to get into front office but i reckon i'll have to do a masters somewhere better then Nottingham to get in, and to make up for my shite 2:1 in chem eng. What uni did you go to?

doing a quant analyst internship atm at a small boutique strategy firm that covers £10Bn of HNW assets. applying to summers quite soon.

Nottingham hasn't held back any of my mates, it's definitely not a bottleneck. only do a masters as a last resort.

exeter
doing a quant analyst internship atm at a small boutique strategy firm that covers £10Bn of HNW assets. applying to summers quite soon.

Nottingham hasn't held back any of my mates, it's definitely not a bottleneck. only do a masters as a last resort.

exeter

I've already graduated i scraped a 2:1 in Chem eng and i have no internships under my belt. Its a long shot at this point. I have an offer for a masters in chem eng at UCL. Spent too much time getting amazing extra curriculars. :s-smilie:

I'm currently working in an Ops and tech role in banks. :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
(edited 5 years ago)
I've already graduated i scraped a 2:1 in Chem eng and i have no internships under my belt. Its a long shot at this point. I have an offer for a masters in chem eng at UCL.

I'm currently working in an Ops and tech role in banks. :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:

I see, I see. good luck with applications in that case, sure you'll make the most of your time at ucl.
I see, I see. good luck with applications in that case, sure you'll make the most of your time at ucl.

I've not accepted it yet can't afford it going to defer work a year in this role. Then go back to uni and see if it will make a difference on my apps.
I've not accepted it yet can't afford it going to defer work a year in this role. Then go back to uni and see if it will make a difference on my apps.

fair enough, sounds like a solid plan. plus you can obviously network during that year too.
I'm fairly certain OP is asking if going to UCL will disadvantage them in contrast to Cambridge, Bath or Imperial. Considering all 3 of them are top 5 for his course whereas UCL is 8th, with Cambridge and Imperial occupying the first 2 places respectively, this is a legitimate question.

Truthfully, you would be much better off going to Cambridge or Imperial simply because of the name. On the other hand though, UCL is still a great uni for your course and as long as you get a 2.1 or a first, you'll be a top graduate anyway. Going to the very top unis on your league tables is ideal, obviously, but by no means necessary.
Original post by Hubrillity
I'm fairly certain OP is asking if going to UCL will disadvantage them in contrast to Cambridge, Bath or Imperial. Considering all 3 of them are top 5 for his course whereas UCL is 8th, with Cambridge and Imperial occupying the first 2 places respectively, this is a legitimate question.

Truthfully, you would be much better off going to Cambridge or Imperial simply because of the name. On the other hand though, UCL is still a great uni for your course and as long as you get a 2.1 or a first, you'll be a top graduate anyway. Going to the very top unis on your league tables is ideal, obviously, but by no means necessary.

"truthfully", it wouldn't make a whiff of a difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
"truthfully", it wouldn't make a whiff of a difference

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like you've really done your research, don't feel obliged to share your logic with us. x

I understand, but why are you so angry all the time? People with learning difficulties have a hard time figuring out and finding things by themselves. Not saying op has a learning disability, but I think you know what I mean.
Original post by Boss987

I understand, but why are you so angry all the time? People with learning difficulties have a hard time figuring out and finding things by themselves. Not saying op has a learning disability, but I think you know what I mean.

I think you'd be equally as frustrated if you were the one responding the same advice to people who don't put in any initiative to finding information out over and over again. It just shows a complete lack of self reliance. I probably answer questions to/advise 50+ people a day, the volume is absolutely mental - the bulk of which can be answered by some very light research.

I'm angry because this is basic stuff that anyone looking to get into a competitive industry like finance should know (or failing that develop).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Its a well known fact all your degree and grade do is get you to an interview. SO yes UCL along with any of those unis would most likely get you an interview as long as you actually put some degree of effort in.
Original post by Hubrillity

Banks don't look at how good your specific course is at each specific uni. They look at overall uni ranking. Basically noone gives a **** about league tables. Its all to do with the prestige of the uni. Of which UCL is incredibly prestigious, not as much as Imperial or Cambridge but ye, you get the picture. They'd probably prefer UCL over Bath IMHO.
I think you'd be equally as frustrated if you were the one responding the same advice to people who don't put in any initiative to finding information out over and over again. It just shows a complete lack of self reliance. I probably answer questions to/advise 50+ people a day, the volume is absolutely mental - the bulk of which can be answered by some very light research.

I'm angry because this is basic stuff that anyone looking to get into a competitive industry like finance should know (or failing that develop).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can seriously empathise with u. I am just worried that some people's laziness of researching will affect people who actually need help (e.g. learning disabilities, etc)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending