21 Day Combined Pill Effectiveness

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,

I've been taking the 21 day combined pill. I didn't have unprotected sex during the first pack. I have started the second pack after a 7 day break. I have taken the pills the same time every day and started the second pack on time.

My questions:

1) Am I protected during the 7 day break?

2) Now I've started the second pack, do I have to wait 7 days before I'm protected again?

3) I've been taking the pill perfectly (I think). I take no other medications, have taken it the same time everyday, haven't been sick, haven't skipped a pill, don't smoke, don't drink excessively, I'm not overweight etc. Yet all the sources I've seen say there is still a possibility I could get pregnant. Would someone be able to explain how I could get pregnant with perfect pill usage?

Thanks for the help.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello,

I've been taking the 21 day combined pill. I didn't have unprotected sex during the first pack. I have started the second pack after a 7 day break. I have taken the pills the same time every day and started the second pack on time.

My questions:

1) Am I protected during the 7 day break?

2) Now I've started the second pack, do I have to wait 7 days before I'm protected again?

3) I've been taking the pill perfectly (I think). I take no other medications, have taken it the same time everyday, haven't been sick, haven't skipped a pill, don't smoke, don't drink excessively, I'm not overweight etc. Yet all the sources I've seen say there is still a possibility I could get pregnant. Would someone be able to explain how I could get pregnant with perfect pill usage?

Thanks for the help.
You're protected during the break. You're protected straight away with the second pack.

There's a risk you could get pregnant because you're having sex. No contraception is 100% effective. Your chances of getting pregnant are very slim if you've been taking it right, but it doesn't mean you're totally infertile.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
You're protected during the break. You're protected straight away with the second pack.

There's a risk you could get pregnant because you're having sex. No contraception is 100% effective. Your chances of getting pregnant are very slim if you've been taking it right, but it doesn't mean you're totally infertile.

Thanks for the response. So if I know I've been taking it perfectly, it shouldn't be paranoid about getting pregnant?
independentx
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
You're protected all the time (including during the break and straight after) if you take your pills correctly. It's only if you miss a pill or 2 during the pack that you need extra contraception for 7 days (look in the leaflet for more information on this).

No contraception is 100% effective, that's how you could still get pregnant. It's rare, but it can happen, even with perfect use.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks for the response. So if I know I've been taking it perfectly, it shouldn't be paranoid about getting pregnant?
Yeah, there's no need to be worried considering you're taking it correctly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (66)
66.67%
No (25)
25.25%
I didn't use it to prepare (8)
8.08%

Watched Threads