The Student Room Group

I donated my blood today AMA

Scroll to see replies

I just turned 17 so I think I might book and appointment soon.
Original post by JMR2018
I just turned 17 so I think I might book and appointment soon.

Im 17 too :biggrin: Booking the appointment online is very easy and quick-which surprised me :biggrin: If you do go ahead,I would be very interested to hear about your experience :smile: Good luck.Feel free to ask any questions if you have any 😊
Original post by Professional G
You did well today. Proud of you. 😁. Maybe i’ll try one day. Thanks for the advice

PRSOM :biggrin:
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
No I didn't get paid anything 😂I heard they pay in the US when you donate blood-but I could be wrong?

I am from the UK. But I would only do it if I get paid. No point giving 600mls if you don't get something in return.
Original post by The Man Of God
I am from the UK. But I would only do it if I get paid. No point giving 600mls if you don't get something in return.

I got the satisfaction of knowing I could help someone in return :biggrin: But each to their own.And it's less than 600ml-they only take a pint. :smile:
Good Luck and nice to know people do to help others who need.
Well done for donating! I am 27 and have not yet managed to donate because of my anaemia. Whenever I think I'm on top of it, I go, and it turns out I'm not!

But I have hope for the future!

I don't have a question - I just wanted to say well done.
Reply 27
Congratulations ☺️ How was it? Did it hurt? What made you decide to it? How much did you donate? Would you do it again? Did you feel dizzy or sick afterwards? Would you recommend it to other people. You’re a very kind human being for doing that, I wish you all the best ❤️
How old are you and do you they ask how much you want to donate
Original post by kiki213
Congratulations ☺️ How was it? Did it hurt? What made you decide to it? How much did you donate? Would you do it again? Did you feel dizzy or sick afterwards? Would you recommend it to other people. You’re a very kind human being for doing that, I wish you all the best ❤️

Thank you :colondollar: It wasn't too bad-I was worried it would hurt since I thought the needle that goes into the arm looks big but what hurt more (well it didn't really hurt) was when they pricked my finger to get a drop of blood to check my iron levels-and that felt like a tiny pinch.So it didn't hurt really!The staff were very nice and everyone made sure I was okay and were asking if I needed something to drink etc.they did say I have small veins..but they managed to insert the needle in somehow :biggrin: I think they took 1 pint-I sat in the chair for 6 minutes 48 seconds-I know because the nurse joked how quick I was :biggrin: I have wanted to donate blood since I was probably 15 or 14-even though I was never a fan of needles-I thought you had to be 18 to donate and I was looking at the website recently and it said from 17 so I signed up :biggrin:. I guess I just wanted to be of help to someone-and make a 'tiny' difference-if that makes sense :biggrin:.If Im able to donate in 4 months (you have to wait 4 months to donate again) I will definitely donate again-my blood volume isn't particularly high-it's just about there-so if my blood volume and iron are fine in 4 months I'll definitely donate again. I felt slightly 'out of it' after donating but I asked for some water and the nurse gave me some straight away and I got 2 cups of squash and another cup of water after that and some snacks and I was back to my normal self.The whole process was really quick-from the time I got there to the time they took 1 pint of blood took within an hour-it was very efficient.I am very glad I done it-and would definitely recommend it to other people.
Original post by princess770
How old are you and do you they ask how much you want to donate

Im 17 :smile: They don't ask how much you want to donate-you donate 1 pint-the machine stops taking your blood after you reach 1 pint and then it bleeps and the nurse takes out your needle and you get a dressing put over your arm and etc.
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Im 17 :smile: They don't ask how much you want to donate-you donate 1 pint-the machine stops taking your blood after you reach 1 pint and then it bleeps and the nurse takes out your needle and you get a dressing put over your arm and etc.

oh oky nice I would also love to donate someday and help someone
Original post by princess770
oh oky nice I would also love to donate someday and help someone

:smile: I do hope you'll donate-it's a great thing to do.
Yeah thanks

Quick Reply

Latest