is british english proper english?

Watch
fridgecomet
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
i was reading youtube comments and one person commented that the youtuber, who's native japanese was speaking "real english" (she had a british accent) and i was like damn. what do you guys think? i'm just wondering where that comes from bc i wasn't taught either way in school lmao
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
well England is where English began.... so i guess we speak the authentic version ?
amihalo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
English English is proper English. No idea what you mean by British English
Vanny17
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fridgecomet)
i was reading youtube comments and one person commented that the youtuber, who's native japanese was speaking "real english" (she had a british accent) and i was like damn. what do you guys think? i'm just wondering where that comes from bc i wasn't taught either way in school lmao
Yes, it is. English is the language of Englanders. For example, American English is not proper English.
fridgecomet
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by amihalo)
English English is proper English. No idea what you mean by British English
sorry that's just what we call it here lmao
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fridgecomet)
Yes, British English (or King's English, as it's correctly termed) is proper English. The others are dialects and *******izations.
Roryroars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would think so. Britain was established way before America.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tootles)
Yes, British English (or King's English, as it's correctly termed) is proper English. The others are dialects and *******izations.
ermm are you sure ?

:holmes:
username1765117
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sometimes in British English we get English wrong where other English speaking countries would get it correct.

For example in Britain it’s perfectly fine to say “I was sat on the bench”. However, this is technically wrong grammar because with “was” and “sat” it’s like a double past tense. Americans would say “I was sitting on the bench” so basically they beat us at our own game.
Vanny17
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
ermm are you sure ?

Thought so too bear. it's Queen's English not King's lol.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ermm are you sure ?

Yes. It's correctly called King's English, even when the incumbent monarch is female.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes. It's correctly called King's English, even when the incumbent monarch is female.
ermm no. it is currently the Queen's English & will become the King's English when King Charles 3.0 takes over, many years hence
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ermm no. it is currently the Queen's English & will become the King's English when King Charles 3.0 takes over, many years hence
If you say so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads