Which is harder? Law or Computer Science?

Watch this thread
_R_
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is one more difficult to grasp than the other? I know this is probably a stupid question but whatever.

*EDIT: For a bit of context: For my a-levels:
English Literature: B
French: B
Maths: D

I'm considering comp sci because I used to love ICT, and the prospect of all that reading for law seems a bit daunting. Also, I've heard that it's much more competitive for law students when getting jobs.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
How would you define "difficult to grasp"? what metrics or criteria are you using? And what are you hoping to get out of the answer anyway?

It sounds like you're comparing two different things which are incomparable to each other. It's like asking whether it's more difficult to win Wimbledon or the F1 Grand Prix.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
One's purely debation and essay writing, the other is purely logic and mathematics.

You can't compare them and say which is 'harder'; if you're good at essay writing then you'll probably be better at Law instead of Computer Science, and vice versa.
username3093384
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Well, not a good question definitely, however, at A-Levels I am pretty sure it would be Computer Science being harder. At a degree level it is also Computer Science as it is invluded in Engineering field being in the second hardest degrees group. The first group is Biology related degrees
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
They’re hugely different, it’d be difficult to determine which is harder, and which you’re better suited to.

Based solely on the fact that you’re a B grade in an essay based subject, and a D in Maths - You may find law suited more to your strengths.
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by _R_)
Is one more difficult to grasp than the other? I know this is probably a stupid question but whatever.

I'm considering comp sci because I used to love ICT, and the prospect of all that reading for law seems a bit daunting. Also, I've heard that it's much more competitive for law students when getting jobs.
from your a levels you would definitely struggle with CS instead of something humanities/social science-y.

forget about jobs, do the degree you're most likely to succeed in and enjoy. plenty of employers don't care about your degree subject for plenty of careers - including law firms.
exam freak
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
This is a stupid question.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by _R_)

Which aspects of ICT did you enjoy? Computer Science is completely different to ICT, although both are under the broad umbrella of 'Computing'. Furthermore, there are a lot of variations on Computer Science - some are theoretical/mathematical (usually courses which require a grade A in A-Level maths), others are technical/vocational, and there are some which focus on design/visual communication.

Lastly, ICT Itself doesn't really fit with any of those because it's fairly business-focused on topics such as requirements analysis, project management, planning, quality assurance, and maybe some technical skills in web or databases.

Remember that any degree in any subject is going to involve a lot of effort. For any discipline you'll be doing up to 1200 hours of study per year for 3 years (split between lectures/contact time and self-study), so the amount of effort it requires won't change much. Difficulty is more down to whether you have a natural aptitude for the subject, and whether you find it interesting enough to remain focused on studying for 3 years.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Computer Science IS NOT ICT - that's such a common misconception!

People take Computer Science thinking it's ICT 'but a bit more technical', thinking it'll be handling hardware and building computers and stuff... No it's not! They fall into the trap where it's nothing what they expected it to be like, and is instead mostly Decision Maths and logic. Not to mention the whole load of programming you have to do for both exam and coursework - the last time I checked, ICT doesn't do programming at all.

Computer Science does have its theory side such as databases, machine architecture, data representation and networking - the rest is just Maths and logic like I mentioned above. The only part of Computer Science which is vaguely analogous to ICT is the networking side, however Computer Science explores it in much more detail, and not just what a LAN is etc. As much as databases are studied in ICT and Computer Science, they're not similar, as Computer Science studies SQL programming.

Basically, ICT != Computer Science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
34.78%
Take a gap year (5)
21.74%
Resit my exams (6)
26.09%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (2)
8.7%
I don't know yet (1)
4.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.35%

Watched Threads