Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm going to be in year 11 in september. I want it to be as stress free as possible (even though that will be pretty hard because of GCSEs and all that), so what do you think you did or could've done that was useful.

Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    I wish I started revising and preparing for exams earlier (Jan-Feb as opposed to the night before) even if it was just an hour a week. It would've saved me so much stress.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I wish I'd punched this chavvy kid in the face who was giving me trouble at the time. I once nearly did and he looked like he'd **** himself. If only I actually did... Boy can dream :')

ReputationRep:
    i regret listening to all those teachers who kept stressing me out. only i can control my grades and i should've paid less attention to them. i should have focused more on having fun and chilling

ReputationRep:
    Hi, the only regret I had was not revising early enough for the subjects I didn’t like as much. For me that was Science and Maths, so I sort of left them until last minute, which I regret now as I had to learn/ revise all the syllabus the week of the exam. Also, try and finish all your course by February/March time so then you only need to revise content, and not learn new.

ReputationRep:
    Please just revise at an earlier stage and don't mess around in class also get gcse revision books now don't leave it too late (obviously make sure u know your exam board for each subject)... you'd think you have a lot of time but time goes really quickly and you'll start squashing revision last minute so if u want to be stress free revise earlier and use past papers they'll help a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reviser101)
    Hey guys,
    I'm going to be in year 11 in september. I want it to be as stress free as possible (even though that will be pretty hard because of GCSEs and all that), so what do you think you did or could've done that was useful.

Thanks xx
    My mistake was thinking that because I disliked English I wouldn't have to try, so I neglected it, and had to work very hard to catch up. So to sum up, work hard from the start, it saves you a lot later.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Wish I'd have spent some time enjoying myself in between studying, rather than feeling like having my head in a book all the time was the answer. Going out with mates or even just doing something I enjoyed would have saved me tons of stress every once in while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reviser101)
    Hey guys,

Thanks xx
    I don't regret anything because GCSEs were so long ago I don't care about them any more lol and my lowest grade was a B at GCSE and I'm going on to my masters degree in September. If I could go back in time I would have punched the people who bullied me in school in the face.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    finishing my revision notes early.

ReputationRep:
    Dropping that God forsaken sanity crusher commonly known as "OCR Computer Science".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTLeafez)
    I wish I'd punched this chavvy kid in the face who was giving me trouble at the time. I once nearly did and he looked like he'd **** himself. If only I actually did... Boy can dream :'
    I was about to say the exact same thing!! Glad I'm not the only one that regrets it lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’m same year as you and have a few free weeks this summer. Im revising every subject but with more emphasis on:
    trying to learn most of my French and Spanish vocab, going over paper 1 for sciences and going over RS notes cuz we started the course in yr9. Also revising English set texts as we did them in September.

Obviously I can’t what I regret as I’m still in gcse years but that’s what I’m doing this summer to try and relieve some of the stress for next year. I’m very study focussed so idk how much a ‘normal’ person would do over the summer. Still s***ing myself when I think that were the next people to do the exams. 😭

ReputationRep:
    Something that I did in sixth form was make revision notes as I went along. So, I'd do the week at college, then at the weekend I'd look at the work I'd done in the week and make some revision sheets from it. Then as time went on I'd start looking at some earlier work as well to keep things fresh, so to be honest by the time actual "revision" time came, I was pretty comfortable with all of my course content and could just focus on completed past exam papers.

ReputationRep:
    Made better realer friends that didn’t drop tbh and revise starting now so it’s not so heavy at the end of the year x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jas149)
    I was about to say the exact same thing!! Glad I'm not the only one that regrets it lol
    Tbf if I met him nowadays, I wouldn't do it. There's better ways to deal with people than violence but in that specific moment, sure was

Last thing I heard him and his mates hang outside ASDA, scrounging together their money to buy a cheap bottle of vodka most days of the week... We're 21...

ReputationRep:
    Getting depression, completely ****ed everything up, as it caused me to not study and stop caring about gcse's. If you feel anything could be wrong, or you feel any type of stress (mine stemmed from over stressing), get help immediately, it could haunt you for life if you don't

ReputationRep:
    Wish I hadn't waited until revision before my GCSEs to look at the stuff I'd learnt in year 10 again. In the autumn term you have a lot of time, so even if you just spend a couple of hours on weekends recapping what you did in year 10 in different subjects, it will help so much! just go through the topic on Seneca or do a quiz on quizlet or something . Promise it'll be worth it!

ReputationRep:
    The best thing I did was learn how to do well in exams. Not many people know that passing exams is a skill in itself which can be mastered. Starting my journey on how to properly prepare for exams saved me so much study time and set me up for a good future!
    I only touched on this in year 11 but I really went for it during my A levels and beyond! So I guess my regret wasn't focussing on this more at the start of year 11.

ReputationRep:
    Regret doing: I wasn’t focused enough at the start and middle of year 11 and only really realising it’s real about a month before the exams I was just treating year 11 as a joke for example when we doing food tech coursework I found a 3 a joke but then I took it seriously and got an 8 in part 2 and began revising I feel I could’ve done more to prepare.
    Regret not doing: being more focused and doing lots more revising instead of doing loads in a small period.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.