How do I know if there's something wrong with my thumb?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
For the past couple of months, I have gotten into a habit of resting/propping up my head with my thumb. Over time, the pain in my thumb afterwards is increasing. I can't even turn door handles without it hurting. Sometimes I'll move it in a certain way and it will pop. Though, there's no swelling, numbness, disfigurement or discolouration. (I'm asking on here because, at the moment, I'm in a position where I am unable to see a doctor, so I want to see what I can do on my own to figure out what's wrong and what I can do to help it. I've already tried to get out of the habit and even then it's still painful)
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Stop doing it for a few weeks, take some painkillers and it'll probably be fine
Lucia12
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Where you're resting your head on it you are putting a lot of pressure on the joints and muscles of quite a weak structure, hence this causes a lot of pain over time. Some of the symptoms you said that you dont have are typical of more serious issues but do not always occur. If you want it to stop hurting rest you head on your hand instead and be patient because you may have caused damage that will take a long time to heal properly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (186)
29.06%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.56%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.06%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.44%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.97%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.94%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.13%

Watched Threads