The Student Room Group

I am forever single but strangers on the street have told me that I am pretty

I am a female and on 3 occasions I have had random strangers that came up to me on the street and told me that I am very pretty

On one occasion I was on holiday and a female shopkeeper told me that I am very pretty, I chuckled and said thanks.

Another time, I was stood at the supermarket and this young man in his 20s stared at me I looked at him and he said "you are very pretty"

Next one it was a female colleague, not a stranger and she said the same thing

I think that I am far from pretty because I don't get approached by men in real life.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JamButter
I am a female and on 3 occasions I have had random strangers that came up to me on the street and told me that I am very pretty

On one occasion I was on holiday and a female shopkeeper told me that I am very pretty, I chuckled and said thanks.

Another time, I was stood at the supermarket and this young man in his 20s stared at me I looked at him and he said "you are very pretty"

Next one it was a female colleague, not a stranger and she said the same thing

I think that I am far from pretty because I don't get approached by men in real life.

Some men can be intimidated by pretty women and therefore wouldn't approach them. Either way, it's not the job of the man to approach you- If you are attracted to a man, take the initiative and ask him out. You might find 'the one' :P
Reply 2
Original post by AnxiousMoron
Some men can be intimidated by pretty women and therefore wouldn't approach them. Either way, it's not the job of the man to approach you- If you are attracted to a man, take the initiative and ask him out. You might find 'the one' :P

I would describe myself as someone who isn't into makeup and fashion a plain jane basically.
Reply 3
I would describe myself as someone who isn't into makeup and fashion a plain jane basically.

You can be pretty without makeup.
Reply 4
You can be pretty without makeup.

My question is if strangers describe me as beautiful then why am I still single?
Reply 5
I honestly don't think that I am pretty at all and those strangers were just being kind.
Reply 6
Why do you not approach men yourself?
My question is if strangers describe me as beautiful then why am I still single?

How old are you?
Just cause someone sees someone good looking in the street, doesn't mean they're going to go up to you and ask you out. You have more of a chance in situations when people get to know you and your personality
Reply 8
Original post by AzureCeleste
How old are you?
Just cause someone sees someone good looking in the street, doesn't mean they're going to go up to you and ask you out. You have more of a chance in situations when people get to know you and your personality

Still young. If you're starting uni this year you will have a chance to meet many people and maybe get into a relationship

Relationships aren't just about being beautiful. If you want a relationship based on your looks, and to get a lot of money whilst you're at it, apply for Love Island. If you're happy skipping the money and a meaningful relationship, go to literally any night club.

Ask yourself:
- Am I attracted to anyone? Are they single? Have I considered asking them out?
- What hobbies do I have? How can I meet people with similar hobbies?( local sports clubs, orchestras, the library if you like reading etc) Should I start a new hobby?
- Do I know how to read, interpret and show signals? People could be flirting with you but you might not have noticed. People that you liked could have thought that you weren't interested in them because you weren't, or they didn't realise you were, flirting with them

As a side note, people will notice someone's beauty but they'll fall for their personality. I doubt you'd be satisfied if you went out with anyone who goes out with you just for your looks, so I'd suggest that you wait until you find someone you connect with.

And leading off that, you just haven't found someone that you really connect with. I don't know how old you are but 6th form, uni , your jobs and your social life are all ways to find people. I'm sure if you were patient for long enough, you'd find someone.
Reply 11
Relationships aren't just about being beautiful. If you want a relationship based on your looks, and to get a lot of money whilst you're at it, apply for Love Island. If you're happy skipping the money and a meaningful relationship, go to literally any night club.

Ask yourself:
- Am I attracted to anyone? Are they single? Have I considered asking them out?
- What hobbies do I have? How can I meet people with similar hobbies?( local sports clubs, orchestras, the library if you like reading etc) Should I start a new hobby?
- Do I know how to read, interpret and show signals? People could be flirting with you but you might not have noticed. People that you liked could have thought that you weren't interested in them because you weren't, or they didn't realise you were, flirting with them

As a side note, people will notice someone's beauty but they'll fall for their personality. I doubt you'd be satisfied if you went out with anyone who goes out with you just for your looks, so I'd suggest that you wait until you find someone you connect with.

And leading off that, you just haven't found someone that you really connect with. I don't know how old you are but 6th form, uni , your jobs and your social life are all ways to find people. I'm sure if you were patient for long enough, you'd find someone.

My problem is I can't pick up when guys are flirting with me. I don't know how to flirt back
Reply 12
19 soon in a weeks time
My problem is I can't pick up when guys are flirting with me. I don't know how to flirt back

Youtube and google search are your friends. You'll find plenty of videos and articles on those topics :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
You’re young, you’ll find someone one day.
Just give it some time. As previously mentioned,you are young and will meet loads of people.
Don't worry - I'm sure everything will work out.
Wishing the best!
Maybe those strangers were just being polite. Being pretty doesn't automatically entitle you to a relationship. You could have glamour model good looks but if you have the personality of a plank of wood, no man is going to give you any attention. Focus on yourself first and what you can offer another person, instead of trying to seek validation from others' opinions. It will give you more self-confidence and help you talk to men more openly.
You're only 18 years old!

Relax, enjoy yourself, have fun, do things that make you happy. Focus on your life and making your future better.

If you are called pretty I'm sure you'll be approached, called that many times in the future.

You could eye flirt with guys you like.

You could also try online dating, speed dating, joining clubs, going out, forming a social circle, meeting guys through education etc.
Post a picture
Reply 19
Original post by asif007
You could have glamour model good looks but if you have the personality of a plank of wood, no man is going to give you any attention.

Hate to say it, but you're wrong..........

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending