Year10Studentt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I’m starting Sixth-Form soon and want to buy a Surface as I’ve heard they’re great for students. I’m unsure on whether to get the Surface Pro or the Surface Go. Anyone have advice for me?
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Surface Go is a perfectly good little device. The Surface Pro is also fairly solid. Whether they're good for students is another matter though.

What in particular will you be using it for and why do you think they'd be good for students (comapred to a traditional laptop for example)?
Year10Studentt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
The Surface Go is a perfectly good little device. The Surface Pro is also fairly solid. Whether they're good for students is another matter though.

What in particular will you be using it for and why do you think they'd be good for students (comapred to a traditional laptop for example)?
I currently have a MacBook Pro and will still use it. I just want something portable that can be taken to and from school and can be used in class for things such as Word and Excel.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Year10Studentt)
I currently have a MacBook Pro and will still use it. I just want something portable that can be taken to and from school and can be used in class for things such as Word and Excel.
Is there a good reason you need to take a tablet to class with you? It's been a while since I was at college but it wasn't acceptable to bring laptops and tablets to a lot of classes, nor was there any point. Even at uni I can't see a good reason to take a tablet to class. The Surface Go would probably be the better device but realistically I can't see a good reason to take it in the first place.
Year10Studentt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Is there a good reason you need to take a tablet to class with you? It's been a while since I was at college but it wasn't acceptable to bring laptops and tablets to a lot of classes, nor was there any point. Even at uni I can't see a good reason to take a tablet to class. The Surface Go would probably be the better device but realistically I can't see a good reason to take it in the first place.
I’ll be using it in free periods as I’m unable to leave the school. This would be used for in school revision and preparation for classes.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ll be using it in free periods as I’m unable to leave the school. This would be used for in school revision and preparation for classes.
That's fair. It's a fairly expensive purchase when you factor in that it doesn't come with the type cover or a pen (the former of which is a necessity if you want to do work on Office) but if you can't go home, can't take your laptop, have no access to computers between periods and have absolutely nothing else to do then it may be useful.

That said, I'd still wait until you're actually attending to see what your time is like, spending £500 on a device that's effectively a stopgap for your free time seems excessive.
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have a surface pro and I love it. It's the cheapest 2017 model (m3 + 4gb) and it's fine for OneNote, drawing and wasting time online. The screen is the selling point, the 3:2 aspect ratio is close to paper (2.8:2) and it's a really high resolution. I don't know how well I would do on a smaller screen, the 12.3" is a good sweet spot between size and amount of screen real estate. It's amazing for doing things like past papers, you just put the pdf in OneNote and write over it so you can get loads done without wasting time or paper. The keyboard is great, a joy to type on.
It's on Amazon with the Type Cover: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-S...dp/B076KRJG3C/
the price changes all the time, I got mine in February for £750 but I've seen it as low as £630.
The Bamboo Ink pen is a good, cheaper alternative to the surface pen: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Optim...dp/B071KFY82N/
I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it, if you can afford it I would get one, there are alternatives though, a lot are cheaper and the repairablity of Surface devices isn't exactly best in class; it's, like, Apple bad. In the m3 and i5 2017 surface models there's no moving parts so it probably won't break on its own.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can you take your MacBook Pro to school? There doesn't seem to be much point spending hundreds of pounds just to do boring Microsoft Office stuff, when you have a good laptop already.
Tommy123Hull
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Get a cheapo Windows tablet off amazon, should do the trick
Year10Studentt
Rep:
?
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Can you take your MacBook Pro to school? There doesn't seem to be much point spending hundreds of pounds just to do boring Microsoft Office stuff, when you have a good laptop already.
My MacBook is an old model (2013) and isn’t quite portable and is very heavy. It’s slow and eventually I will probably sell it.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My MacBook is an old model (2013) and isn’t quite portable and is very heavy. It’s slow and eventually I will probably sell it.
:lolwut:

I have a 2012 which is heavier than yours and I take it everywhere! :lol:
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The heaviest model of MacBook Pro from 2013 is the 2.02kg 15" model, which is still considered very light for a 15" model today and absolutely portable for a normal human being. Are you seriously saying that is too heavy?
Year10Studentt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
The heaviest model of MacBook Pro from 2013 is the 2.02kg 15" model, which is still considered very light for a 15" model today and absolutely portable for a normal human being. Are you seriously saying that is too heavy?
Yes? I don’t understand why everyone has some big problem? My Macbook is slow and in my opinion quite heavy to slug around all day. Doesn’t anyone else believe that a MacBook 15” is just to large to carry around all day compare to a 10” Surface Go? I’m going to sell my MacBook so the reason I was asking the question is because this will probably be my replacement.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes? I don’t understand why everyone has some big problem? My Macbook is slow and in my opinion quite heavy to slug around all day. Doesn’t anyone else believe that a MacBook 15” is just to large to carry around all day compare to a 10” Surface Go? I’m going to sell my MacBook so the reason I was asking the question is because this will probably be my replacement.
If your MacBook is slow, you could see if its running a load of unnecessary stuff in the background, or a fresh install of the operating system. Is it running the most recent version of macOS? It should still be fine really, given that older Macs are still running the latest version without any issues.

Even without the portability - the 15" screen is much bigger and better to work on at home, you'd be losing a nice machine and downgrading to a small tablet with a screen half the size just for your free periods. Not stopping you doing anything, though I wouldn't want to downgrade this way myself.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes and no. It wasn't intially obvious that you wanted to get rid of your MacBook and that this would be a replacement so that changes things quite a bit.

I don't think that a 15.6 inch, 2Kg laptop is too heavy and bulky to carry around all day. That's what most people are carrying around with them. However a 10 inch Surface Go is objectively going to be smaller and lighter.

If you're carrying lots of books and papers (like I did when I attended college) then an additional 2Kg laptop is not really ideally and I can totally agree with wanting to go as light as possible. I always recommend that students travel as light as possible.

However I don't think the Surface Go is a good replacement as your primary device. The screen is too small, the specs are pretty bad for that price point and it's generally not going to be an ideal device for doing work on. On that basis, I'd instead recommend a mid level Surface Pro, or start looking into ultrabooks.

You need to find a balance. Your MacBook in theory should still perform well, but is not as portable as you'd like. The Surface Go is plenty portable, but not ideal functionality wise. The Surface Pro and ultrabook laptops are somewhere in the middle. Personally I'd opt for an ultrabook over the Surface Pro. Don't trade all your performance for portability.
Justmac
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have a surface and one of the good things is that it's light so has been good for uni. However beyond basic microsoft etc it isn't as good as a better laptop unless you buy one with better specs. One thing that happens which pisses me off is connection issues between the tablet and keyboard which means i have restart it again. Might not seem like a big deal but its a pain in the arse when you are working on your dissertation etc and the keyboard suddenly stops working.
Year10Studentt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Justmac)
I have a surface and one of the good things is that it's light so has been good for uni. However beyond basic microsoft etc it isn't as good as a better laptop unless you buy one with better specs. One thing that happens which pisses me off is connection issues between the tablet and keyboard which means i have restart it again. Might not seem like a big deal but its a pain in the arse when you are working on your dissertation etc and the keyboard suddenly stops working.
I understand. I’m just looking for sone thing to get me through sixth-form. I think for uni I will invest in a MacBook, but for now I’m just looking for something basic and portable.
Justmac
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I understand. I’m just looking for sone thing to get me through sixth-form. I think for uni I will invest in a MacBook, but for now I’m just looking for something basic and portable.
Then it will fulfil your needs. They are crazy light which is a massive bonus when you have other stuff to carry and depending on what programmes you need could probably get you through uni as well. The keyboard is a must though, i wasn't a fan of it just as a tablet but that's probably just me. Also invest in a decent case because once broken they cannot be repaired.
Je1031
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The 15inch is very heavy and I understand why you would want to buy a smaller device. Since you may sell your laptop in the future I would buy the pro because it can replace the laptop but until then you can use it as a tablet for school, take notes on it, write papers and such.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Je1031)
The 15inch is very heavy and I understand why you would want to buy a smaller device. Since you may sell your laptop in the future I would buy the pro because it can replace the laptop but until then you can use it as a tablet for school, take notes on it, write papers and such.
I hope you don't see any laptops from 10+ years ago, you'd probably faint at their size! :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (46)
18.47%
Labour (103)
41.37%
Liberal Democrats (50)
20.08%
Green Party (15)
6.02%
Brexit Party (7)
2.81%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.61%
Plaid Cymru (5)
2.01%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)