The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Ask a current Keele student

Inspired by @Leviathan1741 's amazing thread last year, this is ask a current Keele student, for any questions you might have about Keele, student life, or anything of that nature.:biggrin:

I'm MR. I'll be going into second year studying Education and History. Fire away.:awesome:

@eruditeprincess is a History and Media student, also going into their second year. (We've shared lectures :ahee: )

Leviathan1741 is a Geoscience student entering 3rd year (:gasp:) so ask them about fun rock facts.:yy:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I thought this actually was my thread at first :tongue:

I guess I should mention that I'm going into my third year studying Geoscience (for new students this has been changed to a single honours Geology course) :smile:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Hey, Unfortunately I'm unable to live on campus so I have to commute. The problem is I was expecting to be on the road by early September though this seems unlikely now. As a result the only way I can make it to keele is by bus and train meaning a 2 hour commute there and back so 4 hours in total :s-smilie:. Should I look at deferring if this is at all possible?
Original post by Anagogic
Hey, Unfortunately I'm unable to live on campus so I have to commute. The problem is I was expecting to be on the road by early September though this seems unlikely now. As a result the only way I can make it to keele is by bus and train meaning a 2 hour commute there and back so 4 hours in total :s-smilie:. Should I look at deferring if this is at all possible?
Ooh ouch that's quite a stretch. Lots of people do make a commute in and it is about that length. It's your choice whether you want to spend that amount of time travelling though. Will it be possible for you to be driving sometime through the year? If you're only commuting for a short period then it may be worth it. Deferring is an option though so consider it.
Original post by 04MR17
Ooh ouch that's quite a stretch. Lots of people do make a commute in and it is about that length. It's your choice whether you want to spend that amount of time travelling though. Will it be possible for you to be driving sometime through the year? If you're only commuting for a short period then it may be worth it. Deferring is an option though so consider it.

All being well I'd expect to be driving no later than mid October. So like you say worst case scenario is that I'd have to do the commute of hell for a month. Another issue is that parking can be a nightmare at Keele from what I've heard. As I won't be driving in time I won't able to apply for a parking permit. Do you have any idea what would happen in regards to that?
All being well I'd expect to be driving no later than mid October. So like you say worst case scenario is that I'd have to do the commute of hell for a month. Another issue is that parking can be a nightmare at Keele from what I've heard. As I won't be driving in time I won't able to apply for a parking permit. Do you have any idea what would happen in regards to that?
Parking is hell for 2 months and then things tend to settle down once everyone gets into a rhythm. If you don't mind a short walk then parking in Holly Cross will always find you a space from November onwards. Trying to get into Chancellor's is kinda a non-starter tbh.:frown:
Original post by 04MR17
Parking is hell for 2 months and then things tend to settle down once everyone gets into a rhythm. If you don't mind a short walk then parking in Holly Cross will always find you a space from November onwards. Trying to get into Chancellor's is kinda a non-starter tbh.:frown:

Ah sounds fun 😕. Thanks for the info, did try to rep you but it wouldn't allow me 😡.

Overall what's your experience been like at Keele and if you could critique anything what would it be?
Ah sounds fun 😕. Thanks for the info, did try to rep you but it wouldn't allow me 😡.

Overall what's your experience been like at Keele and if you could critique anything what would it be?
That's okay, the thank you is always appreciated.:hat2:

Critique... just the general administration (especially the accommodation :angry: ). Building projects are started and left unfinished, it feels like the far more is invested into marketing than teaching. These are problems that a lot of universities face since the Higher Education Sector went commercial so I don't particularly blame Keele, and Keele is in that unfortunate place in the HE market where they're clearly trying to balance good academic standards with growing the institution and maintaining.

/rant
Original post by 04MR17
That's okay, the thank you is always appreciated.:hat2:

Critique... just the general administration (especially the accommodation :angry: ). Building projects are started and left unfinished, it feels like the far more is invested into marketing than teaching. These are problems that a lot of universities face since the Higher Education Sector went commercial so I don't particularly blame Keele, and Keele is in that unfortunate place in the HE market where they're clearly trying to balance good academic standards with growing the institution and maintaining.

/rant

What about the gold rating they received in the TEF? 🤔

I concur, it was exceptionally difficult trying to communicate back and forth with them. Maybe they are too stretched...
What about the gold rating they received in the TEF? 🤔

I concur, it was exceptionally difficult trying to communicate back and forth with them. Maybe they are too stretched...
What about it?:lol: I don't personally put a lot of meaning onto TEF but you do you.:tongue:

It's rare that I evee get angry. But I have done with them.:colonhash:
Original post by 04MR17
What about it?:lol: I don't personally put a lot of meaning onto TEF but you do you.:tongue:

It's rare that I evee get angry. But I have done with them.:colonhash:

It's not cool when someone messes you around, especially when they should be making the transition as smooth as possible so it's warranted.

Haha I think most metrics used are misleading and don't paint the full picture.
Hi, sorry to intrude but I'm happy to help if anyone has questions! I am about to enter second year studying history and Media and am happy to answer any questions that can't be answered by others!
Original post by eruditeprincess
Hi, sorry to intrude but I'm happy to help if anyone has questions! I am about to enter second year studying history and Media and am happy to answer any questions that can't be answered by others!
No problem! OP updated.:smile:
Did you guys receive anything regarding enrolment in the post around this time of the year, or just emails? I've just recently changed addresses and don't know who to contact to give out the new one.
Original post by gamendes
Did you guys receive anything regarding enrolment in the post around this time of the year, or just emails? I've just recently changed addresses and don't know who to contact to give out the new one.
Mostly just emails.:smile:

Update your contact details on UCAS track if you're able to though!
I'm happy to help on this thread as well. Ive been at Keele for 2 years, studying on their foundation year and I'm repeating my 1st year this coming September due to changing course. You guys can ask me anything about the uni as I'm also a student ambassador
Original post by iloveoatcakes
I'm happy to help on this thread as well. Ive been at Keele for 2 years, studying on their foundation year and I'm repeating my 1st year this coming September due to changing course. You guys can ask me anything about the uni as I'm also a student ambassador

How difficult was the foundation year? Was it comparable to A levels or less rigorous?

is there much leniency either changing your foundation course or changing to a different course once you've progressed from the foundation year?

Regardless of what course you are intending to gain access on for the most part are all foundation year students grouped together depending on what route they take?

What was the typical age range of those on the course?

How many students were enrolled on the course and of those how many didn't progress?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions.
Reply 17
It must be so keele studying there
How difficult was the foundation year? Was it comparable to A levels or less rigorous?

is there much leniency either changing your foundation course or changing to a different course once you've progressed from the foundation year?

Regardless of what course you are intending to gain access on for the most part are all foundation year students grouped together depending on what route they take?

What was the typical age range of those on the course?

How many students were enrolled on the course and of those how many didn't progress?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions.

In my opinion it was like a levels but they incorporated some stuff that you need for university like lab skills and essay/report writing. They kind of expexted you to pick things up quickly but you're having to cover 2 years worth of stuff in 30 weeks. They kind of condensed what you did at a level, taking out stuff you don't need but adding stuff that would be useful.

At Keele they allow course changes in the first 3 weeks of semester but at the end of the year on fy they ask if you want to continue on what you're doing or if you want to change, sometimes it requires you resitting the fy because you're missing modules but other times it doesn't. I'm changing from Astrophysics and Music tech dual honours to media and music tech dual honours after completing 1st year and they had no problem with that.

In tutorials you get put with people on the same pathway as you (science fy together, Humanities fy together etc etc) but in academic development lecturea we have people from every route and in communication skills lectures there is health and science students together, essay writing lectures are everyone else (I think).

In my class most people were 18-20 but there was a mature student (think he was 40) but it really ranges, there are some people in their 30's, other which have just finished 6th form.

On the entire foundation year last year I remember them saying it was the biggest foundation year ever with 500 students. In physics there were about 40 on fy however music and music tech had a total of like less than 10.

No problem. I'm happy to help
Original post by Your Local Cat
It must be so keele studying there
Deep fam.:cool:

Latest