The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hello there.I got an offer for Criminology and Forensic sciences and I would like to ask if there is a possibility of picking up some linguistics modules in addition, as I didn't find anything like that on the course website.
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Original post by Richel
Hello there.I got an offer for Criminology and Forensic sciences and I would like to ask if there is a possibility of picking up some linguistics modules in addition, as I didn't find anything like that on the course website.

Hi! If you have electives (which I think you can do, but you can check and I can see if I can find a link if you want!), you can take languages and some modules from other subjects if you choose to! I hope this answers your question and helps! If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!
I was wondering about the diversity of the student body so like the proportion of lets say white, black, asian (all types) and international students etc and how well they mix like do people kind of keep to themselves or nah?
Original post by queenhallyu19
I was wondering about the diversity of the student body so like the proportion of lets say white, black, asian (all types) and international students etc and how well they mix like do people kind of keep to themselves or nah?

I haven't got any statistics but from my experience Keele has a very diverse student body. There are lots of international students especially in the last few years where Keele has had more East Asian students to the point that the on-campus supermarket has aisles for South and East Asian food. The student union has multiple societies for different races and cultures but anyone can join them whether they are part of that culture or not. Often these societies will each throw their own cultural event either weekly, monthly or annually. For instance the Afro-Caribbean societies host an SU night every few weeks, the Sikh society hosts a free lunch for everyone (each semester?), and the SU hosts a global night with free/cheap food in Semester 1 usually.

There's also a global cafe every week where international students and home students are encouraged to talk and play games together, with the incentive of free hot drinks. It gets decent numbers every week.

How well the groups mix varies a lot but there tends to be a god mix. Once you leave campus and go to the surrounding towns of Stoke-on-Trent, diversity is very low. However, there are some culturally specific shops - particularly South and East Asian shops in Hanley.
wow thanks so much this was very useful
Original post by Nezumiiro
I haven't got any statistics but from my experience Keele has a very diverse student body. There are lots of international students especially in the last few years where Keele has had more East Asian students to the point that the on-campus supermarket has aisles for South and East Asian food. The student union has multiple societies for different races and cultures but anyone can join them whether they are part of that culture or not. Often these societies will each throw their own cultural event either weekly, monthly or annually. For instance the Afro-Caribbean societies host an SU night every few weeks, the Sikh society hosts a free lunch for everyone (each semester?), and the SU hosts a global night with free/cheap food in Semester 1 usually.

There's also a global cafe every week where international students and home students are encouraged to talk and play games together, with the incentive of free hot drinks. It gets decent numbers every week.

How well the groups mix varies a lot but there tends to be a god mix. Once you leave campus and go to the surrounding towns of Stoke-on-Trent, diversity is very low. However, there are some culturally specific shops - particularly South and East Asian shops in Hanley.
Hi, i was wondering, is it difficult to make friends at keele and how are the students there from your own experience and is it easy to travel around the area if you don't have a car?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, i was wondering, is it difficult to make friends at keele and how are the students there from your own experience and is it easy to travel around the area if you don't have a car?

In my experience, the students are some of the loveliest people I've met. I personally made some really good friends in first year, mostly through my halls and some of my smaller classes, and have continued to do so in second year so far, talking more with people on my course and meeting some people who are becoming important to me.

Making friends isn't too difficult, but obviously it is down to different people's experience. I found it easier by joining musical theatre society, which helped me make friends, as well as going on nights out with people in my halls, especially the girls in my flat, but if you can find some common ground with some people, then you can build a good friendship group. If you're worried about not finding friends, then joining a society is probably a good shout (I know a few others can likely testify to this), but I personally didn't find it too hard, but that is my experience.

The buses are the best way around the area if you don't have a car, and while they can be a bit sporadic and difficult, especially around rush hour, they honestly aren't too bad. I'm currently in a house in Stoke with my housemates (five girls I lived with in my first year) and I commute in every day on the buses. There's one bus that runs to and from campus that goes to Newcastle-under-Lyme, Stoke and Hanley, but it isn't too hard to get around. There's a decent taxi service if you need it anyway. Tbh parking is difficult on campus anyway sometimes, so buses are the most reliable thing for me.

Hope this helps! If you need any more advice or have any more questions, put a message in here and one of us will answer, or you can send me a message and I can respond to the best of my ability!
Hi, I’m starting Keele in September and I’m a black international student. I just wanted to know how diverse Keele is
Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be able to talk to me about the maths foundation year and/or the maths and music course. Thanks.
@eruditeprincess @04MR17

Might be a silly question but how do you pay in the buses? Can you just use cash or is it contactless and is it the same for all the buses? I'm a Keele student but don't usually use them.
Original post by Triumph_Turtle
@eruditeprincess @04MR17

Might be a silly question but how do you pay in the buses? Can you just use cash or is it contactless and is it the same for all the buses? I'm a Keele student but don't usually use them.
Contactless is available on the bus services (all of them). :smile:

If you're travelling regularly I'd actually recommend the app (first buses ticketing app).

Although, rumour has it first bus will not be operating the route soon, and will be taken over by someone else.
Original post by Triumph_Turtle
@eruditeprincess @04MR17

Original post by 04MR17
Contactless is available on the bus services (all of them). :smile:

If you're travelling regularly I'd actually recommend the app (first buses ticketing app).

Although, rumour has it first bus will not be operating the route soon, and will be taken over by someone else.

If you feel you would be using first bus a lot then you can buy a first student year bus pass for £319, also if you don't feel like using the bus to get to the town bit by the bus station I record it as a 38 minute walk (But you will regret it when you are walking back up to Keele because of the Hill)
Original post by therandomperson
If you feel you would be using first bus a lot then you can buy a first student year bus pass for £319, also if you don't feel like using the bus to get to the town bit by the bus station I record it as a 38 minute walk (But you will regret it when you are walking back up to Keele because of the Hill)
Would not recommend a bus pass if living on campus, unless you're working in Stoke or Newcastle it's not going to be worth it.

It's also possibly not going to last the year as first are moving on...

Latest