racism against a religion?

Watch
isiah d
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I always see people say it isn't racism as it's against a religion - what is the equivalent term then? do we just say bigoted or use terms like islamophobis/anti-semetic?
username4011692
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As far as I was aware, it is still racism.
DEͥSTͣIͫNY
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, religion is only an idea as it isn't proven, so as far as I'm aware, you are only criticizing an idea.

It's like how people used to argue against Darwin's theory of evolution. It was only an idea until proven. You wouldn't be racist for saying that Darwin was wrong back then.
Carolina K.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by isiah d)
I always see people say it isn't racism as it's against a religion - what is the equivalent term then? do we just say bigoted or use terms like islamophobis/anti-semetic?
It's religious discrimination. Religion isn't determined by skin colour although it might seem like it. Most people born in a certain religion remain as a follower of that religion but some people do strain from how they were raised and follow a different religion or no religion at all.

Anti-semitism is having a prejudice against Jews. Jewish people are a race of people, not a religion so anti-semitism is just a specific version of racism.
isiah d
Rep:
?
(Original post by DEͥSTͣIͫNY)
Well, religion is only an idea as it isn't proven, so as far as I'm aware, you are only criticizing an idea.

It's like how people used to argue against Darwin's theory of evolution. It was only an idea until proven. You wouldn't be racist for saying that Darwin was wrong back then.
im not talking about the religion per se more the people that follow it, which is obviously wrong - i.e. me saying I don't want any jews in my country would be "word im looking for"
isiah d
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carolina K.)
It's religious discrimination. Religion isn't determined by skin colour although it might seem like it. Most people born in a certain religion remain as a follower of that religion but some people do strain from how they were raised and follow a different religion or no religion at all.

Anti-semitism is having a prejudice against Jews. Jewish people are a race of people, not a religion so anti-semitism is just a specific version of racism.
what makes Judaism a race more than other religions? is it just because it is hard to convert to or something? or is It more to do with less inter-faith marriage?
Carolina K.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
what makes Judaism a race more than other religions? is it just because it is hard to convert to or something? or is It more to do with less inter-faith marriage?
Judaism is a religion that Jewish people follow. Judaism is not a race.
isiah d
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carolina K.)
Judaism is a religion that Jewish people follow. Judaism is not a race.
rather why are jews a race? are muslims also a race?
username3025040
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, Muslims are not a race. Anyone of any race can be a Muslim. Anyone can follow Judaism, but not all of those people are Jewish. Judaism is the religion, Jewish is the race. There is no equivalent of this for Islam.
Carolina K.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Defenition of jews: a member of the people and cultural community whose traditional religion is Judaism and who trace their origins to the ancient Hebrew people of Israel.
Location --> related to race

However, this can slightly vary if someone who isn't Jewish converts to Judaism. Then they are Jewish but not ethnically but religiously.

Muslims are just people who follow the religion is Islam, therefore, they are a religion and not a race.
username3900288
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How on earth could it be racist to criticize an ideological belief system? That is like saying it is racist to criticize a scientific hypothesis, which itself, is an ideological belief system desiring to be converted into a concrete belief system - a scientific theory!
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Jewish people are what you call an enthoreligious group. Basically it is a religion that is shared by an ethnic group.

Muslims aren't a race, just a follower of the religion. You can be of any "race" to follow Islam.
isiah d
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qup)
How on earth could it be racist to criticize an ideological belief system? That is like saying it is racist to criticize a scientific hypothesis, which itself, is an ideological belief system desiring to be converted into a concrete belief system - a scientific theory!
ok well im pretty sure I've talked about this on this thread before if you bothered to read it. I meant specifically against muslim people i.e. saying all muslims are xxx
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Criticism of religion should be allowed and I don’t see reason to classify it as racism, bigot, etc or whatever word the left has for it.
But using that to discriminate those following the religion is probably where you should draw the line.
isiah d
Rep:
?
(Original post by RickHendricks)
Criticism of religion should be allowed and I don’t see reason to classify it as racism, bigot, etc or whatever word the left has for it.
But using that to discriminate those following the religion is probably where you should draw the line.
yeah that's what I was referring to and that is just referred to as religious discrimination right?
chelseagirl2002
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't choose your race. You choose your religion.
username3900288
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ok well im pretty sure I've talked about this on this thread before if you bothered to read it. I meant specifically against muslim people i.e. saying all muslims are xxx
It still isn't racist, that's just another case of discrimination against people from a specific social class. But it could be considered racist or at the very least racially stereotypical to assume that all muslims are of a specific ethnicity, since... they aren't. It could also be discriminatory to assume that all muslims are unable to defend or protect themselves (from say, discrimination from other people) and are thus inferior to other groups of people.
isiah d
Rep:
?
(Original post by chelseagirl2002)
You don't choose your race. You choose your religion.
ok?
bobby147
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by UWS)
The Jewish people are what you call an enthoreligious group. Basically it is a religion that is shared by an ethnic group.

Muslims aren't a race, just a follower of the religion. You can be of any "race" to follow Islam.
Wish I could rep .
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yeah that's what I was referring to and that is just referred to as religious discrimination right?
when u discriminate against followers of that religion FOR following that religion = religious discrimination.

when you criticize or challenge the religion = not racism in any form
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (37)
17.45%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.68%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.36%

Watched Threads