The Student Room Group

“Not ALL men” argument

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Waldorf67
But have you considered the fact that most feminists don’t behave like that, only a vocal minority?

What generalisations have been made? Facts and figures to back up what statements?

No, it's definitely a significant number that unfortunately undermines the entire movement.

Ive addressed this earlier, read.
Reply 21
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Men who rape are the exception, though.

OP wasn't calling all men rapists. she was talking about how this is used as a straw-man argument when she or others talks about the problem of sexual assault and sexual harassment. no one's saying all men are rapists. that doesn't mean there isn't a problem.
Original post by Heirio
That is, and this is the most direct way I can put this, *******s.

If a muslim commits a terrorist attack and another says "not all muslims do this", are you saying that the second muslim is a terrorist, merely for pointing out that not all muslims are evil?

Because in order to be logically consistent, that is what you are saying.

You would be right if these two scenarios are analogous. They're not.
Original post by pablo442
Also another common argument that's very dangerous. Accusing people of being rapists and abusers because theyre against generalisations is frankly disgusting.

The point wasn't that they are against generalizations, it is that they felt the need to speak up.

The same kind of people that cry All Lives Matter when confronted with BLM. This is the same ****.
Reply 24
Original post by yudothis
You would be right if these two scenarios are analogous. They're not.

In the first, some men do some evil things. Someone says "not all men do these things".

In the second, some muslims do some evil things. Someone says "not all muslims do these things".

Could you elaborate?
Original post by Heirio
In the first, some men do some evil things. Someone says "not all men do these things".

In the second, some muslims do some evil things. Someone says "not all muslims do these things".

Could you elaborate?

Read my comment above.
The point wasn't that they are against generalizations, it is that they felt the need to speak up.

The same kind of people that cry All Lives Matter when confronted with BLM. This is the same ****.

So, if you speak up against generalisations, you're a rapist and an abuser? What kind of twisted logic

Are you incapable of arguing without slandering others and painting them in a horrible light?
Reply 27
Read my comment above.

That doesn't show how the situations are not analogous.
Feminists want the comfort of womanhood, the power of manhood, and the responsibilities of neither.
Original post by lionheart27
Feminists want the comfort of womanhood, the power of manhood, and the responsibilities of neither.

No they want equal treatment, don’t generalise. The “radical” feminists you see are just attention seekers who falsely believe in an extreme view. Not every feminist wants be superior.
Original post by Anonymous
So when women argue with men about the storm of sexual assault and rape charges that are occurring in Hollywood and have done for decades as well as the millions of women who go through it like it’s the norm - and they reply saying “not ALL men rape. What about the women that rape men?”

Why do they say that? The conversation is about women, yes may I add male rape victims are completely valid and no one is ever saying they are not valid, but if the conversation is focused on women as 98% of rape cases are done by men and 2% by women - then why do men always think of themselves?

Not all men.
Not all Muslims.
Not all immigrants.

All of these have the same argument and the same rule applied to them. Do you accept the other two? If you do, why not the first? If you don't and feel those last two aren't valid, either, then congratulations! You're internally consistent.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Not all men.
Not all Muslims.
Not all immigrants.

All of these have the same argument and the same rule applied to them. Do you accept the other two? If you do, why not the first? If you don't and feel those last two aren't valid, either, then congratulations! You're internally consistent.

It really is that simple.
It is definitely a crime that is primarily commit by men but that certainly doesn't mean ALL men are like this. Actually majority of men themself if ask would say rape would make them sick. It sad that some women wrap a few bad seed into a who male thing. I am all for bring out the bad seeds and exposing them but not making the whole male species name bad because of it.
Reply 33
Original post by Noodlestudent
It’s just become a who has it worse scenario, it is like if a person went to a breast cancer rally and started screaming about prostate cancer. It needs attention also but it is not the focus of the rally.

You're correct if the situation is someone bringing up stats for rape where women are the focus and someone simply states "Not all men" or "What about the women who rape men".
On that point, you're right that it's just not needed.
Original post by pablo442
So, if you speak up against generalisations, you're a rapist and an abuser? What kind of twisted logic

Are you incapable of arguing without slandering others and painting them in a horrible light?

I never said they are a rapist and abuser. I said they are part of the patriarchy that oppresses women. Never known someone decent to feel the need to cry "not all men".
I never said they are a rapist and abuser. I said they are part of the patriarchy that oppresses women. Never known someone decent to feel the need to cry "not all men".

Anyway, the only men that cry "not all men" are the ones that know it's them that it is addressed at.

Stop lying.

People who say "not all men" are the same as the people who say "not all immigrants" or "not all muslims". By considering proportions and relativity, we paint a more accurate view of society.
Reply 36

How are women oppressed in the UK/US?
What rights do they not have?
Well no because the rape cases are just a small margin of the population of men. It says 98% of the cases were men not 98% of men are rapists.
Reply 38
Original post by JustSomeoneAlone
Well no because the rape cases are just a small margin of the population of men. It says 98% of the cases were men not 98% of men are rapists.

I'm also curious as to where this statistic came from.
Original post by Heirio
I'm also curious as to where this statistic came from.

Same this person clearly is deluded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending