Turn on thread page Beta

Maizie's Summer GYG watch

ReputationRep:
    Maizie's Summer GYG!
    Hey, :wavey: I'm Maizie and I start my A-Levels in September. :eek3: I have decided to make a GYG to help motivate for the summer. :unsure: (hopefully). This GYG is only for the summer and I'll start a proper GYG in September. Link here.
    Next year I am planning on taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and German. To be honest I’m not really sure what grades I aiming for but A*AAA seems like a good place to start. I know I want to get an A* in German as I am bilingual but that’s as far as I've got.
    I’ll probably just post my plans for each week and how I am coping. May the A-Level work commence! (is that even a sentence that makes sense?)

Life after GCSEs:
    I am currently enjoying my long summer off and haven’t been particularly productive which is fine. :laugh:
    So far this summer I have:
    - Started making notes on the first and sixth chapters of the Physics A-Level course.
    - Attended two summer schools, one for engineering and the other for physics/astrophysics (which was actually for year 12s so my work on the A-Level course was actually really useful

My GCSE grades: Results still pending!
    English Literature:
    English Language:
    Maths:
    Statistics:
    Biology:
    Chemistry:
    Physics:
    History:
    RE:
    Art:
    German: A* :woo:
    Green = What I wanted to get or higher Orange = Lower than what I wanted but I'm not too bothered Red = Dissapointed with my result

A-Level plans:
    As I said before I'm taking Math, Further Maths, Physics and German but I'm not entirely sure what I aim to achieve apart form an A* in German.

Potential Courses:
    This is a long way off but I might as well be prepared. I’m not entirely sure of what I would like to study after I finish my A-Levels but I know I definitely want to go to university. I have a few ideas of what I would potentially want to study but I’m not certain on any of them yet. Some of my potential courses include:
    - Astrophysics: I really enjoy learning about astrophysics and do like to read around the subject. I have a few concerns about choosing Astrophysics as very few universities that offer pure Astrophysics course (which could imply it isn’t an ‘acceptable’ course? ) and how it could impact my employability. Of course there are many jobs I could go into after studying Astrophysics but very few of them would actually implement anything I would have learnt at university.
    - Mechanical/Civil/Structural Engineering: I think Engineering could potentially interest me however I don’t find it as interesting as Astrophysics and I haven’t read around the subject as much nor do I feel curious enough to do so which is probably not a good sign of interest.
    - Architecture:I always considered Architecture to be the perfect course for me, however now that I’m not taking Art A-Level I would have to put together a portfolio by myself which seems like a lot of effort. Additionally, I’m starting to fear it may be too similar to an art course whereas I would prefer a combination of maths, physics and design.

People who may be interested::hugs:
    Have been tagged. If you want to be tagged or untagged just say!

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck to you over the next two years! ☺️

Do you know what you’d like to do after A-Levels?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Best of luck to you over the next two years! ☺️

Do you know what you’d like to do after A-Levels?
    Hey and thanks. Hmm, I know I want to go to uni but I'm not sure what I want to study yet, after going to two courses this summer I am thinking probably Astrophysics (I have also considered/am considering Architectue or Engineering - probably civil or structural). As you can probably tell I am not really that sure yet. I might take a gap year too, but not to go travelling, maybe for work experience and time. :laugh: What about you? Are you in school or uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaizieAmyr)
    Hey and thanks. Hmm, I know I want to go to uni but I'm not sure what I want to study yet, after going to two courses this summer I am thinking probably Astrophysics (I have also considered/am considering Architectue or Engineering - probably civil or structural). As you can probably tell I am not really that sure yet. I might take a gap year too, but not to go travelling, maybe for work experience and time. :laugh: What about you? Are you in school or uni?
    You might not be certain but you’ve got a general idea- That’s a step in the right direction!

I’m about to enter my last year of sixth form (It’s a Year 14 though, although I’m not resitting anything) to then hopefully start a law degree in September 2019. ☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    You might not be certain but you’ve got a general idea- That’s a step in the right direction!

I’m about to enter my last year of sixth form (It’s a Year 14 though, although I’m not resitting anything) to then hopefully start a law degree in September 2019. ☺️
    Yah, I suppose, I've been looking into the three subjects and so far I am finding astrophysics the most interesting.
    Ah, interesting. How come you are in year 14 if you don't mind me asking? (if you do just ignore my question ) And do you have any advise for starting A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    Yah, I suppose, I've been looking into the three subjects and so far I am finding astrophysics the most interesting.
    Ah, interesting. How come you are in year 14 if you don't mind me asking? (if you do just ignore my question ) And do you have any advise for starting A-Levels?
    Don't let work pile up and study as you go. Do not rely on cramming in any scenario, doing GCSE strats at A level will f your life and world up. Strats like memorising revision guides will not get you what you look for. Do problem sheets etc. Also for maths use exam solutions on youtube.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exam freak)
    Don't let work pile up and study as you go. Do not rely on crammingin any scenario, doing GCSE strats at A level will f your life and world up. Strats like memorising revision guides will not get you what you look for. Do problem sheets etc. Also for maths use exam solutions on youtube.
    Thanks for the advise, yeah for my GCSEs I definitely did do some last minute revision. For one history test I didn't actually finish revising the course but I still think it went well :laugh: :unsure: I definitely won't do that for A-Levels :eek3: I think my tactic for my A-Levels will be writing and condensing notes throughout the year and past papers. I never used revision guides at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advise, yeah for my GCSEs I definitely did do some last minute revision. For one history test I didn't actually finish revising the course but I still think it went well :laugh: :unsure: I definitely won't do that for A-Levels :eek3: I think my tactic for my A-Levels will be writing and condensing notes throughout the year and past papers. I never used revision guides at GCSE
    Im just saying the step up from GCSE to A level will hit you like a fricking bus. If you dont work all the way along, prepare to literally fail your first set of exams. You have to work to get all B's let alone A's or A*'s.

I didnt revise for my GCSE's got 5A* 3A's. I tried revising quite a bit more it at A level first set of exams in Jan i got B's down to D's. Luckily back then you could resit modules. Work your little butt off.You need to be putting at least 9-5 every day 5 days a week with a couple hours on weekend to keep ahead and hit those A's and above.

GCSE is a great qualification for ********ters. A levels not so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exam freak)
    Im just saying the step up from GCSE to A level will hit you like a fricking bus. If you dont work all the way along, prepare to literally fail your first set of exams. You have to work to get all B's let alone A's or A*'s.

I didnt revise for my GCSE's got 5A* 3A's. I tried revising quite a bit more it at A level first set of exams in Jan i got B's down to D's. Luckily back then you could resit modules. Work your little butt off.You need to be putting at least 9-5 every day 5 days a week with a couple hours on weekend to keep ahead and hit those A's and above.

GCSE is a great qualification for ********ters. A levels not so much.
    I have done the new set of GCSEs so the gap is a little less :unsure: although I am not expecting to get As immediately, apart from German as I have been doing the course for the last 2 years at a really so pace (and with a gap during year 10 and 11 exam season). I'll try my hardest, hopefully this thread will keep me motivated to put in the hours. I hope to see you around on this thread

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm Maizie and I start my A-Levels in September. :eek3: I have decided to make a GYG to help motivate myself for the next two years :unsure: (hopefully).

Spoiler:
    Show

English Literature:
    English Language:
    Maths:
    Statistics:
    Biology:
    Chemistry:
    Physics:
    History:
    RE:
    Art:

Next year I am planning on taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and German. To be honest I’m not really sure what grades I aiming for but A*AAA seems like a good place to start. I know I want to get an A* in German as I am bilingual :woo: but that’s as far as I know.
    I am currently enjoying my long summer holidays and haven’t been particularly productive which is fine :laugh: So far this summer I have:
    - Started making notes on the first and sixth chapters of the Physics A-Level course.
    - Attended two summer schools, one for engineering and the other for physics/astrophysics (which was actually for year 12s so my work on the A-Level course was actually really useful

I’ll probably just make posts of my plans each week and how I am coping. May the A-Level work commence (is that even a sentence that makes sense?)

People who may be interested :hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show

@Toastiekid @nyxnko_ @entertainmyfaith @Shadowdraconis @lydiarutharnold @Missradioactive @silv_23 @Psaa DIDIWORLD

Yayyyyyyyyy ! :woo:

I'm gonna watch this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missradioactive)
    Yayyyyyyyyy ! :woo:

I'm gonna watch this
    Thanks! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm Maizie and I start my A-Levels in September. :eek3: I have decided to make a GYG to help motivate myself for the next two years :unsure: (hopefully).

Spoiler:
    Show

English Literature:
    English Language:
    Maths:
    Statistics:
    Biology:
    Chemistry:
    Physics:
    History:
    RE:
    Art:

Next year I am planning on taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and German. To be honest I’m not really sure what grades I aiming for but A*AAA seems like a good place to start. I know I want to get an A* in German as I am bilingual :woo: but that’s as far as I know.
    I am currently enjoying my long summer holidays and haven’t been particularly productive which is fine :laugh: So far this summer I have:

I’ll probably just make posts of my plans each week and how I am coping. May the A-Level work commence (is that even a sentence that makes sense?)

People who may be interested :hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show

@Toastiekid @nyxnko_ @entertainmyfaith @Shadowdraconis @lydiarutharnold @Missradioactive @silv_23 @Psaa DIDIWORLD

Hi I’m doing a levels too!! But I’m doing chemistry, biology and psychology hoping to study dentistry at uni!! Super super scared about results day!😭But so far this summer I have:
    • been learning Spanish, sign language and mandarin
    • been doing a psychology course (which ngl I do kinda regret....feel like I should’ve just made notes from the textbook!)
    • been reading the head start to chemistry and biology
    Right now I might just pause with the psychology course and just made notes from the textbook! And my aim is to finish reading the head starts before I go to last Vegas next Monday!🌿

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Berrydo)
    Hi I’m doing a levels too!! But I’m doing chemistry, biology and psychology hoping to study dentistry at uni!! Super super scared about results day!😭But so far this summer I have:
    • been learning Spanish, sign language and mandarin
    • been doing a psychology course (which ngl I do kinda regret....feel like I should’ve just made notes from the textbook!)
    • been reading the head start to chemistry and biology
    Right now I might just pause with the psychology course and just made notes from the textbook! And my aim is to finish reading the head starts before I go to last Vegas next Monday!🌿
    Hey! :wavey: Yeah I am scared for results day too! :cry2: Wow you have been doing alot, :eek3: I plan on starting some stuff this week (will be updating soon) Yeah, I have just been making notes which seems to be working as I knew alot of year 12 stuff (particle physics) when I went on the physics course :woo: Tell me how you are finding A-Levels ever so often :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Hey! :wavey: Yeah I am scared for results day too! :cry2: Wow you have been doing alot, :eek3: I plan on starting some stuff this week (will be updating soon) Yeah, I have just been making notes which seems to be working as I knew alot of year 12 stuff (particle physics) when I went on the physics course :woo: Tell me how you are finding A-Levels ever so often :hugs:
    Sure thing! Wish you the best of luck on results day!!🧡yeh I want to read the head starts first before I do the summer work, AND THEN make notes....kinda wish I got the digital marketing course instead of the psychology tho! Because the online layout is soooooo plain and boring!😭And there’s a lot of content too! Oh well!💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻Als o super lucky that you got to go onto a summer school!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Berrydo)
    Sure thing! Wish you the best of luck on results day!!🧡yeh I want to read the head starts first before I do the summer work, AND THEN make notes....kinda wish I got the digital marketing course instead of the psychology tho! Because the online layout is soooooo plain and boring!😭And there’s a lot of content too! Oh well!💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻Als o super lucky that you got to go onto a summer school!!
    Thanks! You too! :hugs: My school just gave me summer work, no head start things. Ah, just make the best out of it? Yeah, the only reason I went on some courses is because I don't know what I want to do at uni

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! You too! :hugs: My school just gave me summer work, no head start things. Ah, just make the best out of it? Yeah, the only reason I went on some courses is because I don't know what I want to do at uni
    Ahhh I see! Btw you can get Head Start revision guides by CGP for maths and physics! I got mine form WHSmith but you can get it on kindle etc. 🧡🧡

ReputationRep:
    Weekly Plan: 30/07/18

Hey, :wavey: this is my first update. Random fact: I am listening to ABBA :laugh: just because. I’m just going to list what I want to do across the week and at the end of the week I will update on how much I managed to complete.
    I may add some things throughout the week too if I miss anything out.

So, this weeks to do list::eek3:
    - Make notes for physics: Section 3: 6.4 – 8.0. So I will hopefully complete two subsections a day (I have reduced this from the original so it fits better next week :shh:
    - Complete the first section of my maths prep work(which I started ages ago but never completed).
    - Start recapping on the first section of the German AS course: The environment.

Some non-academic stuff::woo:
    - Listen to my audiobook
    - Do some art
    - Watch a filmrather than sit around doing nothing (it makes no sense :laugh:)
    - practice my violin:eek3:

Yeah, that's about it, I'll see how I go this week and maybe have some mini updates

GREEN=COMPLETED ORANGE=IN PROGRESS RED = INCOMPLETE PURPLE = UNABLE TO COMPLETE

P.S: I have tagged some people, if you dont want to be tagged/want to be tagged just ask.

ReputationRep:
    Update 1: 30/07/18

Hey, :wavey: this is my first update. Random fact: I am listening to ABBA :laugh: just because. I’m just going to list what I want to do across the week and at the end of the week I will update on how much I managed to complete.
    I may add some things throughout the week too if I miss anything out.

So, this weeks to do list::eek3:
    - Make notes for physics: Section 3: 6.4 – 8.2. So I will hopefully complete two subsections a day
    - Complete the first section of my maths summer work (which I started ages ago but never completed).
    - Start recapping on the first section of the German AS course: The environment.

Some non-academic stuff::woo:
    - Listen to my audiobook.
    - Do some art
    - Watch a film rather than sit around doing nothing (it makes no sense :laugh:)
    - practice my violin:eek3:

Yeah, that's about it, I'll see how I go this week and maybe have some mini updates

RED = NOT STARTED ORANGE=IN PROGRESS GREEN=COMPLETED
    PRSOM :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missradioactive)
    PRSOM :facepalm:
    :hugs: :heart:
    Idk if I am going to get everything done because I work slowly and don’t want to push myself too much but we will see

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: :heart:
    Idk if I am going to get everything done because I work slowly and don’t want to push myself too much but we will see
    Good luck :hugs:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.