Ogtap / opito Watch

Colzer91112
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Evening All,

I am looking for some information from OGTAP / OPITO apprentices whom have either completed the apprenticeship or have completed at least 2 of the 4 years.

General questions I am looking for answers from;

- What is the setup of year 1? (multi discipline?)

- Is year 2 purely relating to your chosen discipline?

- Years 3 & 4 - For those who are sent offshore - what rota have you been on and what do you do with your time off in between?

- Would you say the training received on completion provided you with the necessary skills you would have expected to receive before you started?

- Any other interesting information for someone who is about to start?

Thanks, Colin.
Arthxr
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Bump? I am also interested.
wrongun1000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I finished it 4 years ago (ish)..

- What is the setup of year 1? (multi discipline?) : Not sure what you mean by that but from what I can remember its 3 days at College studying NC multi discipline engineering and 2 days in the training centre (covering all aspects but focusing on your chosen trade).
- Is year 2 purely relating to your chosen discipline?: You finish your HNC and focus on the practical stuff IIRC.
- Years 3 & 4 - For those who are sent offshore - what rota have you been on ? - Depends what company you are with
- what do you do with your time off in between? - Err you know.. the same stuff people do on their weekend off? hobbies going out ect
- Would you say the training received on completion provided you with the necessary skills you would have expected to receive before you started? : Think of it as passing your driving theory test, it gives you a bit of base knowledge. You will learn a lot more on the first month in your jobs than you do in 2 years at college.

Doing it was the best decision I ever made, if you are lucky enough to get on the course don't piss about and mess it up..its a fantastic opportunity.
James636373
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What qualifications did you have to get accepted as I'm still in high school and curious
Colzer9111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Apologies for late reply. Been busy on the OGTAP course!

Thanks 'wrongun1000' for the reply. Much Appreciated.

Have done well so far on the course and passed everything to date.

- Any advice for starting the offshore scene? I would like to get ahead of the game and learn as much as possible.

- Also, can you shed any light on how companies choose the candidates (is it based on attendance and performance or is it literally random?)

- Great that you say its the best decision you ever made, that's good to hear. What discipline are you? I am Process.

With reference to my question about what you do in your spare time; I should have explained my query related to whether or not you need to do more courses and qualifications in your spare time as I have heard some companies get you to do this when back onshore but I understand that this is obviously not all the time.

'James636373' - Qualifications I had to get on course were Maths, English, and a couple others at Standard Grade level (Scotland). I believe this is called national 5 now. I didn't have Physics which they seem to ask for but I do have Chemistry. There is a fair bit of both on the course but not too difficult.

I am a bit older though so have a degree as well (not sure whether or not it helped me getting on course). I also have 5 years industry experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Are cats selfish

Yes (127)
60.48%
No (83)
39.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise