Should obese people pay extra for their flights/ be forced to buy a larger seat? Watch

OutKast
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If yes, why?
If no, why?

Some things to consider could include:
- discomfort caused by sitting next to an obese person in a normal seat, especially on long haul flights
- increased fuel cost due to increased weight
shellop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes, if i wanted extra room to rest my legs i'd pay for an extra seat

likewise if they are that big that they know they are going to spill into the next seat they should. i mean if i was that big i wouldn't want to risk squashing someone, i'd happily pay for a second so that i have more space for myself
Tommy123Hull
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Extra weight that could potentially make up for two people.

Potential damage to seats. (Unlikely yes)

I think it’s fair
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nah, just make it illegal to be fat.
Yeahwhat
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes and no. What about a bodybuilder?
OutKast
Rep:
?
(Original post by shellop)
yes, if i wanted extra room to rest my legs i'd pay for an extra seat

likewise if they are that big that they know they are going to spill into the next seat they should. i mean if i was that big i wouldn't want to risk squashing someone, i'd happily pay for a second so that i have more space for myself
Would you want that to be made a law, or just leave it as something that an obese person should be considerate enough to do ?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No.
I understand the theory behind it, but if you start charging more for people based on personal characteristics, you'll find reasons to charge more for other things, and it'll never end.
OutKast
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tommy123Hull)
Extra weight that could potentially make up for two people.

Potential damage to seats. (Unlikely yes)

I think it’s fair
In terms of your extra weight point, what if an obese person without luggage boarded a plane , and a slimmer person who maxed out their free luggage allowance also boarded the plane. In total, the obese person weighs the same as the slimmer person+ free luggage allowance. How would you feel about that?
OutKast
Rep:
?
(Original post by Boss987)
Yes and no. What about a bodybuilder?
This isn't about health though- a bodybuilder's increased mass would still mean more weight for the plane to carry and therefore increased fuel and ticket costs, as well as potential discomfort of the person sitting next to them- surely if a person's muscles were invading someone else's seat space, it would be just as annoying and uncomfortable as if it was someone's fat spilling over?
Yeahwhat
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AnxiousMoron)
This isn't about health though- a bodybuilder's increased mass would still mean more weight for the plane to carry and therefore increased fuel and ticket costs, as well as potential discomfort of the person sitting next to them- surely if a person's muscles were invading someone else's seat space, it would be just as annoying and uncomfortable as if it was someone's fat spilling over?
Well they are not obese are they?
OutKast
Rep:
?
(Original post by Boss987)
Well they are not obese are they?
Well (to be slightly facetious) with strict interpretation of BMI, which is what tends to be used to categorise people as obese, they may well be considered obese. To be honest though, I did not really consider body builders. Unlike obese people, I assume that body builders on flights would tend to be in the minority.
Tommy123Hull
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AnxiousMoron)
In terms of your extra weight point, what if an obese person without luggage boarded a plane , and a slimmer person who maxed out their free luggage allowance also boarded the plane. In total, the obese person weighs the same as the slimmer person+ free luggage allowance. How would you feel about that?
Bit different since that is luggage not a person.
Luggage is what 20-30KG per person?

Whereas an obese person is way higher than that.

I do see your point though.
Sahyun
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
they should be given a free gym pass
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Merely for weighing more, no. Fuel cost is aggregated across all the passengers; the wee lassie who is 50kg is offsetting the 140kger.

If they are physically so large the fat violates the personal space of other passengers, such that it interferes significantly with their enjoyment and experience, I think the passenger losing out should at least be compensated for it. Probably should make the larger people buy seats with more space, and force them to pay the higher amount for those seats.

I am more perturbed by those with poor personal hygiene than obesity, I should say.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My shoulders are huge and are almost certainly gonna get in the way of whomever is sat next to me.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gjd800)
My shoulders are huge and are almost certainly gonna get in the way of whomever is sat next to me.
Same. And my 9ft long legs are stuck into the seat ahead. If anything, the cushion of fat makes the whole thing more comfortable.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Same. And my 9ft long legs are stuck into the seat ahead. If anything, the cushion of fat makes the whole thing more comfortable.
I always pip for the legroom seats for that reason, ha!
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes, if they're gonna make the passengers nearby uncomfortable they should buy a second seat
Bazyli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by random_matt)
Nah, just make it illegal to be fat.
Good point
FutureMedic23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i kinda get why people might be saying yes. but by that logic, bigger people should pay more for their clothes because they're using more material to make them. as someone said above, it would only end up with people being charged more for other things too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads