The Student Room Group

absolutely devastated over the death of my cat

TRIGGER WARNING

Today, on the 29th of July 2018 at 1:10pm, my little baby boy was ran over. He tried to follow my sister over the road when she was walking our dog. A car came speeding round the roundabout and hit mow ( my cat ). My sister came running in the house screaming because it was just outside and we live right on a main road. My mam and dad ran outside panicking and i just sat there because I didn't know what was happening. My mam ran into the house crying. I asked " what's happened?" and she said mow got ran over" and I said " is he okay?" and she said "no.. he is dead", while she was still crying.

I didn't know what to do. I just sat and cried for 10minutes. I wasn't allowed to see my cat because everyone who saw him said he had blood all over his face and I would be traumatised. The car that hit him just drove off and didn't even bother to see if he was okay.

Tonight, my whole family came round for dinner and they all knew and where asking me if I was okay. of course I said yes and that I was fine but I wasn't. I was broken and as I am writing this I'm crying my eyes out. bless his little soul.

Can anyone help me please because I am so upset right now I don't think I will ever get over my boy ☹💔. All I'm thinking is what if I shut the cat flap and didn't let him out. he would still be here, All curled up on my bed. now I'm never going to see him again and I feel so bad Its all my fault.
we are making him a little memorial in my garden but I think it will just make me sadder. thanks for any replies 💔
edit: also I feel sorry for my dog because they were best friends. I feel like she knows and misses him a lot
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

20180713_195416.jpg
Poor thing. This is the only thing that is stopping me from getting pets. Try to remember the good times. Your cat will look down on you and remember that he had the best owner, someone who actually cared about him. Stay strong, you not alone. P.S. Tell your family about your real feelings, they should be able to help more than me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Boss987
Poor thing. This is the only thing that is stopping me from getting pets. Try to remember the good times. Your cat will look down on you and remember that he had the best owner, someone who actually cared about him. Stay strong, you not alone. P.S. Tell your family about your real feelings, they should be able to help more than me.

thanks 💓
My condolences, OP. I hope you'll be able to remember the good times you shared with your cat more than the bad.

Spoiler

Original post by Sahyun
crap i thought it was your kid (didnt read the title). sorry to say this but my sympathy levels drastically went down when i found out it was your cat. nonetheless, rip

ok? thanks
Original post by 3pointonefour
My condolences, OP. I hope you'll be able to remember the good times you shared with your cat more than the bad.

Spoiler

thanks
Original post by TofAndMow
TRIGGER WARNING

Today, on the 29th of July 2018 at 1:10pm, my little baby boy was ran over. He tried to follow my sister over the road when she was walking our dog. A car came speeding round the roundabout and hit mow ( my cat ). My sister came running in the house screaming because it was just outside and we live right on a main road. My mam and dad ran outside panicking and i just sat there because I didn't know what was happening. My mam ran into the house crying. I asked " what's happened?" and she said mow got ran over" and I said " is he okay?" and she said "no.. he is dead", while she was still crying.

I didn't know what to do. I just sat and cried for 10minutes. I wasn't allowed to see my cat because everyone who saw him said he had blood all over his face and I would be traumatised. The car that hit him just drove off and didn't even bother to see if he was okay.

Tonight, my whole family came round for dinner and they all knew and where asking me if I was okay. of course I said yes and that I was fine but I wasn't. I was broken and as I am writing this I'm crying my eyes out. bless his little soul.

Can anyone help me please because I am so upset right now I don't think I will ever get over my boy ☹💔. All I'm thinking is what if I shut the cat flap and didn't let him out. he would still be here, All curled up on my bed. now I'm never going to see him again and I feel so bad Its all my fault.
we are making him a little memorial in my garden but I think it will just make me sadder. thanks for any replies 💔
edit: also I feel sorry for my dog because they were best friends. I feel like she knows and misses him a lot

I hope you're okay and that you understand that it wasn't your fault at all. I'm sorry for your loss... It makes my blood boil that the person just drove away and I think the government should change the laws so that's it's a legal requirement to stop and help a cat if you have hit it. That law stands for dogs and many other animals but not cats smh. Anyway, laws aside, I'm sure he is at peace and he would want you to be at peace as well.
Original post by imdying123
I hope you're okay and that you understand that it wasn't your fault at all. I'm sorry for your loss... It makes my blood boil that the person just drove away and I think the government should change the laws so that's it's a legal requirement to stop and help a cat if you have hit it. That law stands for dogs and many other animals but not cats smh. Anyway, laws aside, I'm sure he is at peace and he would want you to be at peace as well.

thank you so much. ☹☹ like cats are family too as well as dogs

And just because you see them as part of the family it doesn't mean they suffer more than the animals you have complete contempt for.

You are completely right!! All pets are family. If that was one of my cats I would be heartbroken so I completely understand your reaction. He was a beautiful boy and I hope your doggy is also okay... maybe give her extra love to help her along. If you need to talk then you can always message me.
Reply 11
TRIGGER WARNING

Oh noooo : ( I'm soo sorry, this is heartbreaking.
And yeah... that's the reason why my cat is strictly an indoor cat (only let him out in the garden on a leash). Of course, some cats hate that so I don't blame you... I guess the only good thing is that it was quick. It wasn't your fault, these things just happen, the driver should have been more careful, ****ing *******. :/
Original post by stephenyup
And just because you see them as part of the family it doesn't mean they suffer more than the animals you have complete contempt for.

I don't understand your comment but I assume it's positive?
Original post by Ciel.
Oh noooo : ( I'm soo sorry, this is heartbreaking.
And yeah... that's the reason why my cat is strictly an indoor cat (only let him out in the garden on a leash). Of course, some cats hate that so I don't blame you... I guess the only good thing is that it was quick. It wasn't your fault, these things just happen, the driver should have been more careful, ****ing *******. :/

yea. he was an indoor cat as a kitten but we eventually let him outside because all he did was meow at the door and he was bored all day. thanks for your comment
thanks 💓

Hey I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I can imagine its absolutely devastating you will feel numb for a while but thats all part of coming to terms with it.

It is ok to have a cry. I think your family all asking if you are ok is kind in one way but bloody stupid in another. Ofc you arent ok.

I can imagine you arent going to be able to sleep, so watch or listen to something., just to distract yourself.

I think indoor cats get bored imo and they like to run about outside, chase things etc, just unfortunate you live next to a busy road. Cats get run over all the time in such situations. What a **** for not stopping.

Bury him under a tree- dig the grave if you want as that might help you to say goodbye better. the alternative is to have him cremated and get his ashes back, that way you can keep him with you.

Have a look at Rainbow Bridge and there are other cat forums. hang in there. I know its crap. beating yourself up wont do it but I understand the guilt and sadness. Hang in there.

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/
https://www.petforums.co.uk/forums/rainbow-bridge.61/
Sorry about your loss OP. I hope your pain subsides and you can think of the happier times together.
Original post by Sahyun
crap i thought it was your kid (didnt read the title). sorry to say this but my sympathy levels drastically went down when i found out it was your cat. nonetheless, rip

Why do u need to point that out? U live in the dark?
I am so sorry to hear that.
*hugs*
Original post by 999tigger
Hey I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I can imagine its absolutely devastating you will feel numb for a while but thats all part of coming to terms with it.

It is ok to have a cry. I think your family all asking if you are ok is kind in one way but bloody stupid in another. Ofc you arent ok.

I can imagine you arent going to be able to sleep, so watch or listen to something., just to distract yourself.

I think indoor cats get bored imo and they like to run about outside, chase things etc, just unfortunate you live next to a busy road. Cats get run over all the time in such situations. What a **** for not stopping.

Bury him under a tree- dig the grave if you want as that might help you to say goodbye better. the alternative is to have him cremated and get his ashes back, that way you can keep him with you.

Have a look at Rainbow Bridge and there are other cat forums. hang in there. I know its crap. beating yourself up wont do it but I understand the guilt and sadness. Hang in there.

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/
https://www.petforums.co.uk/forums/rainbow-bridge.61/

thank you 💔💔
Original post by Kathy89
I am so sorry to hear that.
*hugs*
💔 thanks

Quick Reply

Latest