The Student Room Group
You need to check your spellings unless you're being lazy here.
Original post by RGaya3
Hi
Am appmying for medicine this year 2019. Am very nervous about my UKcAT taking next week. What are the schools to apply fwith lower UKCAT scores? My GCSE and predicted are good. Am doing IB. An tips appreciated

i know Cardiff doesn't emphasise too much on ukcat, but seriously you need to go look at different university websites and see for yourself.

honestly as a medical applicant you should do your own research and not expect others to do it for you. (sorry if this sounds harsh but it's true)
Reply 3
Well I thought this forum is more friendly. I have done my research but I thought we share ideas here. The first 2 responses I got are not exactly welcoming
Reply 4
Honestly, it kind of depends how good your GCSE's are for some universities. Cardiff, UEA, Bristol, Sheffield all don't need such a high UKCAT score, and if your UKCAT really doesn't go well, I'd definitely recommend you take the BMAT. :smile: Good luck for your UKCAT btw!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Thankyou...have seen cardiff and Bristol. UEA will look into. Sheffield I thought looked more at UKCAT.. will check again
Reply 6
Original post by RGaya3
Thankyou...have seen cardiff and Bristol. UEA will look into. Sheffield I thought looked more at UKCAT.. will check again

I mean sheffield does, but their cutoff score really isn't as high as some others. its in the mid 600's, which is around average.
Here you go:

https://www.themedicportal.com/where-to-apply-with-a-low-ukcat-score-2018-entry/

https://www.themedicportal.com/apply-600-660-ukcat-score-2018-entry/

a low ukcat can be compensated by high GCSEs and applying strategically. but ultimately the interview is the deciding factor of whether or not you get an offer.
Original post by RGaya3
Well I thought this forum is more friendly. I have done my research but I thought we share ideas here. The first 2 responses I got are not exactly welcoming

chill out m8, from your original post seems you havent done any research at all as there are many threads on this already.
Bristol have slightly changed their admissions prices resulting in greater emphasis on UKCAT. If you have strong GCSEs then Birmingham is a good option and of course there is always the option of applying to BMAT universities (Oxbridge, UCL, ICL, Leeds, BSMS, Lancaster). As suggested, The Medic Portal is a good resource for this question (although some information might be slightly outdated - admissions processes change every year).
Original post by RGaya3
Hi
Am appmying for medicine this year 2019. Am very nervous about my UKcAT taking next week. What are the schools to apply fwith lower UKCAT scores? My GCSE and predicted are good. Am doing IB. An tips appreciated

Hi there,

While scores will differ every year, we published a range of blogs on where to apply with different UKCAT scores for last year, which you can find on our UKCAT guide under 'How do UKCAT scores work?' as a general guide - you might find this useful, as well as average scores for every year so far.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Reply 11
Last year we would have recommended you include Cardiff and Bristol. This was on the basis that they place less emphasis on the UKCAT score and so you could compensate by a better interview performance and examination results. This could change this year, so I would wait until September when we hopefully should have more up to date information. It also seems premature to ask this question before you have your UKCAT result good luck for the exam! Please bear in mind medical schools can and have changed the entry requirements after the UCAS submission date based on the strength of applicants.

Blue Peanut Medical

Latest