lucygettings
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
My history coursework essay is DOUBLE the maximum word count.
My geography coursework investigation is 1000 words over the maximum word count.

Does anyone have any tips for dramatically reducing words counts without losing important content.

Help meeeeeee!

Thanks
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Being that far over the word limit, chances are you're gonna have to lose some of the content, so just pick the least relevant sections, or the ones where you feel you'll pick up least marks, and delete them. Make sure you remove any references to the missing text from the rest of it too
Nasher and Basher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Use simple smaller words, sometimes you may use a long word- you can get the same meaning and your point across.

Do you repeat yourself, check if you do.

The only way to do it is to go through it, or get someone to go through it.
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nasher and Basher)
Use simple smaller words, sometimes you may use a long word- you can get the same meaning and your point across.
The OP wants to reduce the word count, not the number of characters, so I doubt this will really help, she's not trying to cram loads of info into a limited size PS
HacklyFracture
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Go through it and shorten your sentences, delete superfluous words, find anywhere where one or two words will say the same as the whole sentence.

Get someone else to read it through if you can and do the same, they might find things you've missed.

If you can use figures (diagrams, tables etc) than don't count towards your word count then put anything you can into a table!

If it's still over find the least relevent parts/the parts you won't get as many marks for and cut them out. If you can have appendices then put this stuff in here - technically examiners can't give you marks for an appendix but we get told they will look at it and if it's good stuff it'll give them a better impression of your overall work. Besides, you've done the work already so you can't lose anything.
Nasher and Basher
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Alex L)
The OP wants to reduce the word count, not the number of characters, so I doubt this will really help, she's not trying to cram loads of info into a limited size PS
I know but sometimes to get yor point across your use a long phrase, but all you need to use is one or two words.
death.drop
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ditto what everyone's said. but also look at your sentence structure. sometimes you can cut things down into shorter sentences, or even rearranging can help. also cut out unneeded descriptions.
for example
I went to the pet shop and bought my dog a bright red ball but it fell apart within days.
I bought my dog a ball from the pet shop but it fell apart.

edit: i bought my dog a ball from the pet shop. it fell apart :p:
fredscarecrow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Also, i find that it's hardest when you're down to the last 50-100 words. Once you get there, I'd suggest printing it out and going through with a pencil. ct out all the extra 'the's and 'and's and mark with a -1 at the side of the paper each time you cut one out. I find it really helpful - that way i can keep account of how i'm doing, and I can see myself making a difference.

Good luck! Word counts are the bane of my life.
lucygettings
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice everyone .
I feel this may be a long night, re-reading every sentence :P, but I know it must be done.
Nasher and Basher
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lucygettings)
Thanks for the advice everyone .
I feel this may be a long night, re-reading every sentence :P, but I know it must be done.

Whats your History coursework on ?
michaelnicholson88
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hyphenate where it's grammatically acceptable to do so. It'll probably only save you about 10 words but every little helps!
bex_26797
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This sounds a stupid suggestion but it works, get someone e.g. your mum to read it and pick out any works which are unnecessary.
Charlurr
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My history coursework was 1000 over the limit when i did it, but i found the easiest thing to do is print it out and go through it. I tend to waffle, so cut that our and see whether you can change say, a group of 10 words into 5. I know it seems hard, but you can do it. Also, as quotes are included, dont be afraid to put in elipsis' in the middle if that part is irrelevant to your point.

If you still cant get it down low enough, give it to your parents to go through. Make sure the word count doesnt include bibliography as well, that helped me a lot, lmao

Once your down to only 50 words over, i'd just lie... :P
death.drop
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Charlurr)
Once your down to only 50 words over, i'd just lie... :P
you might be allowed a certain percentage of words either way. for some of my essays it had to be an exact amount of words, for others we were allowed 10% either way. might be worth checking with a tutor, OP.
Gaara.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bex_26797)
This sounds a stupid suggestion but it works, get someone e.g. your mum to read it and pick out any works which are unnecessary.
Thats best idea for me. Every time i give it to her, she demolishes it down by like 900 words :eek: but great help when i get that A
Lady Leviathan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Death.drop has a good point. Can you go 10% over or under the word limit? In some schools at uni you can.

I've found luck:

* Asking my boyfriend to read through my essay. He'll pick up on things that I didn't see and say, "Why are you using those two words? You could combine it?" or something like that. Reduces word count after futher editing.

* Combining words. Somethings are unnecessary and can be combined or cut down. Look for things that can be combined. www.dictionary.com is good to see if the words work out.

* Cutting out small words like "to", "it", "but", etc., and adding semi-colons and hyphens. Only do it if you're absolutely positive that you're being grammatically correct and that the integrity of the original sentence will be intact.

* If worse comes to worse, analyse your essay. What isn't integral to arguing your thesis? Are there sentences that you don't need or that you can reduce?
lucygettings
Rep:
?
The history is on the Role of Lenin in the Russian revolution.
I'm happy to lie or be 10% over or whatever but this is clearly about 3 pages too long ><.
The elipsis in quotes is helping quite a bit... but I think I may start having to be ruthless .
Nasher and Basher
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lucygettings)
The history is on the Role of Lenin in the Russian revolution.
I'm happy to lie or be 10% over or whatever but this is clearly about 3 pages too long ><.
The elipsis in quotes is helping quite a bit... but I think I may start having to be ruthless .
Cut some quotes down. Do you repeat the same pointbut in several different paragraphs, as if you do then you can delete one or just combine one together.
Charlurr
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is it OCR history coursework? The absolute limit is 3,500 right? I can't remember, handed mine in ages ago "/
lucygettings
Rep:
?
It's AQA, but it's 3,500 absolute maximum too. I'm currently down to 5091...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.51%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.76%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.87%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (46)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
19.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise