mev1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
could i please get some help with this scenario!!
Gary invited two business rivals, Harry and John, to a meeting at his flat. When they entered his room he pulled out an imitation gun as a practical joke and pointed it at them. Unknown to Gary, Harry suffered from heart disease. The shock caused Harry to collapse and die. John was also shocked and scared by Gary’s behaviour and jumped out of the window which was on the third floor of the building. He suffered serious injuries.
Terrified, Gary rushed outside to where John lay. Concluding that John was dead, Gary dragged the body into his car. He drove several miles and dumped the body in a secluded wood. In fact, John was still alive at this time, though he died soon afterwards from exposure.
Using relevant legal authorities discuss Gary’s liability.

I believe that the only thing here that i could discuss is the causation, involutary manslaughter , acts reus, mens rea, and gross negligence. Im not sure if thats correct or if im missing anything.
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Post your own attempt at an answer (including authorities that you rely on) first and then you are more likely to get help. Most posters here are pretty fed up about providing complete solutions to questions that the OP doesn't even appear to have made an effort at.
username3689312
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd be more that willing to help but as said above, please post a skeleton answer and we can go from there.
mev1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by james_law)
I'd be more that willing to help but as said above, please post a skeleton answer and we can go from there.
i just need to know the structure of the answer and what topics can be included and any statutes i could add into my essay. ive stated my opinions above.
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mev1234)
i just need to know the structure of the answer and what topics can be included and any statutes i could add into my essay. ive stated my opinions above.
If that two line summary added at the end is supposed to be your 'opinion' then, honestly, you may as well drop out of your degree now. "Identifying" that the issues may involve causation, actus reus, and mens rea is worthless (every, or nearly every, criminal law problem question involves those issues).

I'm sure you can do better than that. Post the answer that you would give if it was an open-book exam question and you weren't allowed to ask anyone else for help.
username3689312
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Heres a structure to follow if thats all you need - IRAC. Issue, Rule, Application, Issue.

You will have been taught all the issues in your scenario and will have definitely been given a structure to use to answer , you need to go back over your notes. Your scenario is very very easy, most of the situations are actually the same as the authority so in reality you just replace your characters with the case characters and boom application is perfect.

As stated above, naming a load of potential offences within the scenario is a start (introduction) but useless without further explanation. You need to go through each potential situation that gives rise to criminal liability and give a brief answer to each.
Mozartbailey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Gazza has caused the demise and is responsible for both deaths though there would be some mitigation for the bad heart. Gazza should be publicly hung in my opinion. Twice. A new rope for the second hanging
Gary invited two business rivals, harry and john, to a meeting at his flat. When they entered his room he pulled out an imitation gun as a practical joke and pointed it at them. Unknown to gary, harry suffered from heart disease. The shock caused harry to collapse and die. John was also shocked and scared by gary’s behaviour and jumped out of the window which was on the third floor of the building. He suffered serious injuries.
Terrified, gary rushed outside to where john lay. Concluding that john was dead, gary dragged the body into his car. He drove several miles and dumped the body in a secluded wood. In fact, john was still alive at this time, though he died soon afterwards from exposure.
Using relevant legal authorities discuss gary’s liability.

I believe that the only thing here that i could discuss is the causation, involutary manslaughter , acts reus, mens rea, and gross negligence. Im not sure if thats correct or if im missing anything.

(Original post by forum user)
if that two line summary added at the end is supposed to be your 'opinion' then, honestly, you may as well drop out of your degree now. "identifying" that the issues may involve causation, actus reus, and mens rea is worthless (every, or nearly every, criminal law problem question involves those issues).

I'm sure you can do better than that. Post the answer that you would give if it was an open-book exam question and you weren't allowed to ask anyone else for help.
Mozartbailey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Res ipsa s loquitur
Gary invited two business rivals, Harry and John, to a meeting at his flat. When they entered his room he pulled out an imitation gun as a practical joke and pointed it at them. Unknown to Gary, Harry suffered from heart disease. The shock caused Harry to collapse and die. John was also shocked and scared by Gary’s behaviour and jumped out of the window which was on the third floor of the building. He suffered serious injuries.
Terrified, Gary rushed outside to where John lay. Concluding that John was dead, Gary dragged the body into his car. He drove several miles and dumped the body in a secluded wood. In fact, John was still alive at this time, though he died soon afterwards from exposure.
Using relevant legal authorities discuss Gary’s liability.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (47)
17.28%
No one else does (86)
31.62%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.29%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (92)
33.82%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.21%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.57%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise