Aren't summer holidays just too boring?

Watch
username3161682
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've been off since mid June. Went on holiday on a cruise for the first 2 weeks of July, which was great. Loved the ship, ports and the whole experience.

I've been home since July 15th and quite frankly, I want to go back to my school. It has pretty much been Eat, Sleep, Drink, sit on the computer, Gym and repeat. Very little else. I'm off until August 21st so still another 3 weeks.

I got sent into Glasgow today to get out of the house but there isn't much here except shops and cafes.

Unfortunately, this isn't the end of long holidays as next year will be longer (leaving school in May), university (if I go) holidays are long and even on cruise ships (where I want to work), you get 2 months break between contracts. I'm dreading all of that.

Who else is in the same boat?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Joe2001)
I've been off since mid June. Went on holiday on a cruise for the first 2 weeks of July, which was great. Loved the ship, ports and the whole experience.

I've been home since July 15th and quite frankly, I want to go back to my school. It has pretty much been Eat, Sleep, Drink, sit on the computer, Gym and repeat. Very little else. I'm off until August 21st so still another 3 weeks.

I got sent into Glasgow today to get out of the house but there isn't much here except shops and cafes.

Unfortunately, this isn't the end of long holidays as next year will be longer (leaving school in May), university (if I go) holidays are long and even on cruise ships (where I want to work), you get 2 months break between contracts. I'm dreading all of that.

Get a job for the summer.
username3161682
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Get a job for the summer.
I only have 3 weeks left.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I only have 3 weeks left.
I know I read that. Next summer you can get a job.
daytonic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Get friends for the summer.
username3161682
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I know I read that. Next summer you can get a job.
That's my plan as I will have 4 months (minimum) off. As for the 2 month breaks between ship contracts, that's completely different but certainly not looking forward to them.
username3161682
Rep:
?
(Original post by urlocalethnic)
Get friends for the summer.
How would I do that? I can't just go up to a random person on the street and say 'be my friend'.
a9493r
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Start some online course to build up your CV?
chelseagirl2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't get why people get so excited for summer either. All I do is binge watch Netflix.
OutKast
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Get some more hobbies, dude.

- Play for a local sports team
- Explore local trails
- Paint- either at home, or explore your area and find places to pain outside
- Go to the cinema
- Meet up with friends
- Learn a music instrument
daytonic
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How would I do that? I can't just go up to a random person on the street and say 'be my friend'.
lmao do you not have friends from school or something??
username3161682
Rep:
?
lmao do you not have friends from school or something??
None, except for one guy who thinks he is my friend but I would rather cut myself and then go into a bath of vinegar than see him.

I do have acquaintances who I am looking forward to seeing again, but I never see them out of school.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Summer is what you make it. I was never bored in my summer holidays as a kid. I had loads of shows and films I wanted to watch, and when I wasn't doing that I went out with my friends all the time, to a park, swimming, shopping, anywhere. But we always had an amazing time. Also went on a lot of bike rides with them as well.

If all you do is sit inside at your computer then it will be boring, but it's down to you to make it more than that.
username3161682
Rep:
?
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
Summer is what you make it. I was never bored in my summer holidays as a kid. I had loads of shows and films I wanted to watch, and when I wasn't doing that I went out with my friends all the time, to a park, swimming, shopping, anywhere. But we always had an amazing time. Also went on a lot of bike rides with them as well.

If all you do is sit inside at your computer then it will be boring, but it's down to you to make it more than that.
It sounds like you had a good social life at my age, but I don't so that makes summer enjoyment harder.
minivampire
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Honestly, same.
Been on summer holiday since mid June, uni starts September.

I do volunteer for the NHS - but cannot start until I've had all my injections.
I've sorted out volunteering in counselling, but unfortunately I cannot start until September anyway.
I've been looking after my nan who has cancer as well - which has been up and down.
The uni sent the reading list for the course, so I've been making my way through it.
All my friends are off elsewhere.

Even with all that.
Bored.
daytonic
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
None, except for one guy who thinks he is my friend but I would rather cut myself and then go into a bath of vinegar than see him.

I do have acquaintances who I am looking forward to seeing again, but I never see them out of school.
okay...

What about the acquaintances? Text them or something and arrange to meet up outside then. Make the most of summer while you're still young. No point wasting something you'll never get again.
Purplebottle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lmao you can, I’ve done that before and we’re great friends now
username3161682
Rep:
?
okay...

What about the acquaintances? Text them or something and arrange to meet up outside then. Make the most of summer while you're still young. No point wasting something you'll never get again.
I haven't got contact details for them, nor would they really want to see me anyway.
username3161682
Rep:
?
(Original post by minivampire)
Honestly, same.
Been on summer holiday since mid June, uni starts September.

I do volunteer for the NHS - but cannot start until I've had all my injections.
I've sorted out volunteering in counselling, but unfortunately I cannot start until September anyway.
I've been looking after my nan who has cancer as well - which has been up and down.
The uni sent the reading list for the course, so I've been making my way through it.
All my friends are off elsewhere.

Even with all that.
Bored.
I totally understand. Doesn't sound too fun. Hope your nan does OK.
minivampire
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I totally understand. Doesn't sound too fun. Hope your nan does OK.
Nah, it's okay - we are getting through it. But it is terminal, so this is as okay as she'll ever be now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise