The Student Room Group

2:1 from Bristol or First class from Manchester for law

Posting as anon because my friend is also on TSR*

I have just graduated with a 2:1 from Bristol and my friend received a First class from the University of Manchester. We both studied law (LLB) but I am not convinced that she is more academically capable than me.

Bristol is ranked higher and I feel like she is just lucky because her classmates were less competitive.

Do you think employers would favour her first over my 2:1 or would they view us in the same light since my degree is from Bristol? Sorry if I come across as cocky.

I’m just really not convinced that university ranking is irrelevant.

You can’t possibly say that someone that graduated with a first class, top of her year from London met is better than someone that graduated with a 2:1 from Oxford.

Scroll to see replies

Dude, she got a better grade, get over it.
Reply 2
Wow! Regardless both grades are v respected. Well, obviously a first is better. Why can't you be happy for her?
The difference in rankings between London met and oxford is bigger than the difference between Manchester and Bristol.
Original post by Anonymous

I have just graduated with a 2:1 from Bristol and my friend received a First class from the University of Manchester. We both studied law (LLB) but I am not convinced that she is more academically capable than me.

Bristol is ranked higher and I feel like she is just lucky because her classmates were less competitive.

Do you think employers would favour her first over my 2:1 or would they view us in the same light since my degree is from Bristol? Sorry if I come across as cocky.

You can’t possibly say that someone that graduated with a first class, top of her year from London met is better than someone that graduated with a 2:1 from Oxford.

If your friend is on TSR, do you not think they will know what they got a first from Manc and that you got a 2:1 from Brizzy? Unless you truly have no respect for their intellect.

It is a daft question tbh; employers will consider the both of you equally, and look at what else you have to offer.

There is always this game of "yes, you got a higher grade but on an easier course" and it exists on courses at the same school, e.g. where you might believe a friend has taken easier modules. I do agree that a first is likely easier at Manc, but we don't know enough to appreciate if there is a significant difference between your degrees. They might have taken all hard modules and yours might be easy.

Original post by J-SP
You can’t possible assume that someone who graduated with a first class, top of their year from London met ISN’T better than someone that graduated with a 2.1 from Oxford.

You may think your academically brighter than your friend, but your attitude stinks and that definitely makes your friend a far better person than you.

They're probably even.
(edited 5 years ago)
Jealous much lol. Very suspicious friend. I hope they read this thread and they'll find out who you're pretty easily.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

Doing slightly better at A-levels (which largely determines which uni you go to) is hardly as impressive as achieving a first class degree in Law at a respectable university. In my opinion anyway.
(edited 5 years ago)
Manchester University actually has a very well-respected law school, and a great careers service. To get a 1st from there is a great achievement, and the fact that your A-Levels are slightly higher won't make much of a difference in my opinion
Both are excellent grades but I didn't think there was a lot of difference between Manchester and Bristol - both are good universities. It doesn't matter who got the higher grade, you should focus on what you are going to do now and how to plan your career.
Original post by J-SP
Who knows what they are. They could be of a stronger intellect, they could be of weaker. There will be 1000s of factors that influence their grades beyond intellect that makes it impossible to compare them so seems particularly crazy to even try.

Well, you know what they are because we must assume that the top of year at London Met is better than the 2:1er at Oxford.

I would suggest that the average top of year at London Met (so not the A*A*A*A* student who decides to go for a laugh; or the PhD in organic chemistry from MIT who decides he wants to do undergrad again) would probably manage a 2:1 at Oxford. I would also suggest that the 2:1 student at Oxford, on an average year, could have decided to reject their Oxford offer and had a kick about with the London Met kids, securing the top of year spot.

This from knowing a couple of the top of year people from my local ex-poly -- unsurprisingly the A*AA student managed to beat the BBB/BBC students.
Reply 10
Hardly any difference between Manchester and Bristol to be honest.

But I do agree with you though that rankings aren't irreverent. Where there is a greater difference between two universities, you'll find a 2:1 or 2:2 can be a lot harder to obtain than a 1st or 2:1 from a not so good uni.
This post is so petty😂😂😂
Original post by J-SP
It’s mental talking about hypothetical situations and assuming our own detail about it based on our own experiences. We could even argue whether grades truly show intellect, or even what the definition of intellect it.

All I know is I wouldn’t make any stupid assumptions based on a fictitious scenario.

OP said we're talking about grades; "more academically capable". Seems searching for the meaning of intellect, hard as that might be, would be a waste of time.

And yes, it would be quite mental for you to make any assumptions about the comparative difficulty of the two courses.
Reply 13
Original post by J-SP
You can’t possible assume that someone who graduated with a first class, top of their year from London met ISN’T better than someone that graduated with a 2.1 from Oxford.

You may think your academically brighter than your friend, but your attitude stinks and that definitely makes your friend a far better person than you.

I’ll go one step further as a Bristol Grad: GET OVER YOURSELF!!

Your “friend” clearly proved and conveyed in her exams she knew the material at a higher level than you (comparatively speaking)... it is what it is...
Original post by J-SP
If only competitive difficulty of courses was the only influencer of grades then this might actually be logical.

Oh, snap!
Reply 15
First class is better, the difference between Bristol and Manchester is too marginal for anyone outside TSR to care, and you probably only got one A Level grade higher than her, which is again a marginal difference. I'd understand what you meant if you were comparing your course to someone who did business (too many people are coming out with firsts in that), but you are both doing the same course.
When people start realising that getting a job is not solely based on grades and what uni you went to, then maybe things will start working out for them.
(edited 4 years ago)
Pettiest thread I've ever seen lmao
You're not much of a "friend" if you feel the need to minimise her achievements just to feel better about yourself.
100% the friend knows. You posted that you have a friend here, your uni + final grade and her uni + final grade. Post any juicy details about her confronting you.

Latest

Trending

Trending