Fine for not registering to vote Watch

NEwStudent769
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, so I received a form a little while ago asking me to register to vote. I received it well before turning 18 so I payed it little attention and saved it for later reference. Looking at it again, it stated a deadline for me to respond, about 9 months ago now, and said that if I didn't register before that date I could be fined £80!

How likely is it that they will fine me? I think it's quite crappy to just put it at the bottom of the form and not indicate it clearly on the top. Yes, I should have read it through, but I was 16 and thought I didn't need to worry as I wouldn't be able to vote for 2 years.

Is it a legal responsibility to register? I know people died for the right to vote but threatening an £80 fine if I do not before I can even vote is not exactly going to encourage me to finally apply.

Asking for information, despite the aggravated tone: I'm just annoyed that this letter could easily have been damaged or lost through no fault on my own and I could be blamelessly oblivious to this deadline and potential fine.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NEwStudent769)
Hi, so I received a form a little while ago asking me to register to vote. I received it well before turning 18 so I payed it little attention and saved it for later reference. Looking at it again, it stated a deadline for me to respond, about 9 months ago now, and said that if I didn't register before that date I could be fined £80!

How likely is it that they will fine me? I think it's quite crappy to just put it at the bottom of the form and not indicate it clearly on the top. Yes, I should have read it through, but I was 16 and thought I didn't need to worry as I wouldn't be able to vote for 2 years.

Is it a legal responsibility to register? I know people died for the right to vote but threatening an £80 fine if I do not before I can even vote is not exactly going to encourage me to finally apply.

Asking for information, despite the aggravated tone: I'm just annoyed that this letter could easily have been damaged or lost through no fault on my own and I could be blamelessly oblivious to this deadline and potential fine.
1. Unlikely.
2. Yes it is your responsibility.

Honestly stop making excuses and complaining. Register or dont register, up to you whether you want to take the small risk. its unlikely anything will happen, but stop blaming everyone else. its the same for everyone. They are likely to have sent you multiple letters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (154)
51.85%
No (143)
48.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed