SlashaRussia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So during freshers week I might not be in England at all, as I messed up dates for stuff, and so I might have to miss it.

So I was wondering if anyone who has been to uni of manchester or is currently there or if someone who knows well, do I *have* to go to freshers week? Is there anything compulsory during that week that I have to attend? (e.g. lectures, labs e.t.c.)

As a side note my course is (hopefully) Physics with philosophy MPhys
jenbrown1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I didn't go to Manchester, but I think there will be compulsory introductory talks you need to go to. If you really can't make it you should definitely contact someone there...
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have never gone to any of that stuff, maybe Manchester is different.
lifeofamedic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve just finished first year at Manchester doing Medicine. It was all introductory stuff, but it was compulsory and attendance was monitored
a.little.bird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Freshers is basically to welcome you to the university and you get to mix with people who you'll be studying with. As for 'compulsory' activity, there's the Manchester Leadership Award, but if you miss Welcome Week (what UoM call Freshers), you'll have the opportunity to catch-up - there's an Ethical Grand Challenge at the start of the year (Sustainability in year one), but according to Stellify, you can catch-up (see point 16 here: http://www.dse.manchester.ac.uk/our-.../stellify/faq/). That was literally the only time attendance was recorded in the first week.

Of course, it might be different for your degree. I know people who had introductory lectures during welcome week, but these people were overwhelmingly new medical and nursing students, or otherwise undergrads in the Faculty of BMH, which physics is not part of.

At some point, you will receive an email with a timetable for Welcome Week. As far as I can see, the timetables for your course haven't been released yet. All degree welcome weeks are different. Some degrees require you to choose course units during Welcome Week, but this is done online anyway, and not all courses offer optionals in the first year - but even if that is so, you will still need to choose seminars, which is also done online.

I met most of the people on my degree during lectures and seminars.

I would say that you do make an effort to be introduced to your academic adviser, even if you don't manage it during welcome week. Just so you know who they are and they know who you are.

Like I say, many courses don't have lectures or anything during Welcome Week. You will receive a timetable at some point.

Spoiler:
Show

just finished my first year at UoM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Fri, 19 Jun '20
    Sat, 20 Jun '20
    Sat, 3 Oct '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (60)
23.9%
No (191)
76.1%

Watched Threads