The Student Room Group

Student Loans EU students

Hi,
I'm new in this forum and definitely new to the British educations system.
I'm an Italian student who would like to apply for university in England starting in September 2019 (undergraduate technical theatre and stage management or drama), but the cost of education and living in another country is very high.
Is it possible for me to get a student and/or maintenance loan? How would it work? How much will it cover? How can I pay it back? What happens if I can't pay it back? Is it possible to get only a partial loan?
These are the questions my parents asked, but if you have any other useful information, please let me know.
thank you
Original post by saraboschetti
Hi,
I'm new in this forum and definitely new to the British educations system.
I'm an Italian student who would like to apply for university in England starting in September 2019 (undergraduate technical theatre and stage management or drama), but the cost of education and living in another country is very high.
Is it possible for me to get a student and/or maintenance loan? How would it work? How much will it cover? How can I pay it back? What happens if I can't pay it back? Is it possible to get only a partial loan?
These are the questions my parents asked, but if you have any other useful information, please let me know.
thank you

Be aware by March 2019 the UK will have left the EU.
A lot of what happens in the future depends on the EU agreeing a deal with the UK and I have to be honest that this has moved from a given to anot guaranteed. No deal is now possible.

The UK government has confirmed students applying in 2019 will be funded for their entire course, but that was before talks seem to have broken down. Its probably you will still be funded, but I dont think things are as certain as they once were.

I will answer your questions briefly.

1. Yes if you are an EU citizen and lived in the EU for the previous three years to 1 Sept 2019, then you can apply for funding.

2. That funding will only cover fees. i.e no money to live on. Maintenance is only available to EU citizens resident in the UK for 5 years.

3. There is a working migrants scheme which requires you to work a min of 24 hours a week and earn at least £7,500 a year. If you meet that criteria you can also apply for a maintenance grant, which would be enough to fund the rent and food etc, when combined with your job.

4. Money borrowed for student loans does not become repayable until you start earning over £25,000 per annum and then it is 9% of the excess.

You can read more here:

https://www.ucas.com/finance/student-finance-england/finance-full-time-eu-students
Original post by 999tigger
Be aware by March 2019 the UK will have left the EU.
A lot of what happens in the future depends on the EU agreeing a deal with the UK and I have to be honest that this has moved from a given to anot guaranteed. No deal is now possible.

The UK government has confirmed students applying in 2019 will be funded for their entire course, but that was before talks seem to have broken down. Its probably you will still be funded, but I dont think things are as certain as they once were.

I will answer your questions briefly.

1. Yes if you are an EU citizen and lived in the EU for the previous three years to 1 Sept 2019, then you can apply for funding.

2. That funding will only cover fees. i.e no money to live on. Maintenance is only available to EU citizens resident in the UK for 5 years.

3. There is a working migrants scheme which requires you to work a min of 24 hours a week and earn at least £7,500 a year. If you meet that criteria you can also apply for a maintenance grant, which would be enough to fund the rent and food etc, when combined with your job.

4. Money borrowed for student loans does not become repayable until you start earning over £25,000 per annum and then it is 9% of the excess.

You can read more here:

https://www.ucas.com/finance/student-finance-england/finance-full-time-eu-students

Thank you. Do you have any idea when more certain information will be available? Unfortunately student loans will probably play a major role in my chance to actually study in the UK
Original post by saraboschetti
Thank you. Do you have any idea when more certain information will be available? Unfortunately student loans will probably play a major role in my chance to actually study in the UK

If you are applying for 2019, then I think you will be ok, even if it falls apart. It may be your only chance though unless theres a further agreement.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/eu-students-england-get-post-brexit-fees-pledge-2019-20
Original post by 999tigger
If you are applying for 2019, then I think you will be ok, even if it falls apart. It may be your only chance though unless theres a further agreement.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/eu-students-england-get-post-brexit-fees-pledge-2019-20

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest