Rachgriffs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by mathsandmadness)
Hey! QTS lets you teach anything, including primary and some colleges. However, it is unlikely you would be given a job in an area you are not trained in (why would they?).

Do you have an AS level in maths? This is accepted by a lot of providers, but you'd need to call them and ask. I don't know what the situation is with the foundation thing - I expect you'd still be accepted by some but they can be particular about AS and A levels. Again, call and check with the providers you're interested in.

Do the SKE in person, not online. Without a related degree, this will help with employment (and confidence) if you choose maths.

My background is history and I'd love to teach both. Although, it is easier to teach a related subject (ie STEM or economics or something). It really depends on where the school is desperate for staff, and how many part timers they employ, and a whole host of other things.

I hope to teach physics and maths at some stage, but history would be a bonus. First few years tho, really better to stick to one. I know a lot of teachers that say it is tough, even for experienced teachers, to switch between subjects. It adds a big time commitment. Good thing to offer up at interviews, tho!

(Currently doing the pg myself) I don't think it will hold me back finding a job, but it might make it harder if there's lots of people with full maths degrees applying, or some private/high attaining schools

Hope this helps!
As I say, the knowledge I currently have is foundation year, which I did study maths with. The foundation year is equivalent to A Level, so I guess I am just hoping that this is possible to be accepted.

I have a call with a teacher training advisor in a couple of weeks, so will be speaking with them.

I did think that QTS allowed you teach anything, which would mean I should then be able to teach both English and maths, but obviously would depend on if I got accepted to do maths.

I believe a local university offer the SKE in maths, although I don’t think my current one do, so I will look into it.

Oh, the first few years I would stick with one while I settled and understood the job. It’s just thinking long term.

I know there usually is a shortage with maths, so hoping this may go in favour, but then again that depends at the time.

Thank you
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by mathsandmadness)
Online is fine, yes. It's easier financially. The in-person are better, particularly if it's been some time since last using the knowledge.

What do you mean by better known? They will be well aware of the in-person courses as there aren't as many, and they are generally regarded as of a more consistent standard, where as online can vary dramatically
The idea that in person is better is solely your opinion. It's not a view shared by unis or employers.

There are two main online providers of SKEs- Vidlearn and TES. Both of these are well know by unis, and use the same resources year on year, so will vary considerably less than an in person course. Many providers won't have experience of people attending an in person course, as they're restricted to certain locations.

Most providers will recommend either Vidlearn or TES to people they've asked to take an SKE.
mathsandmadness
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
The idea that in person is better is solely your opinion. It's not a view shared by unis or employers.

There are two main online providers of SKEs- Vidlearn and TES. Both of these are well know by unis, and use the same resources year on year, so will vary considerably less than an in person course. Many providers won't have experience of people attending an in person course, as they're restricted to certain locations.

Most providers will recommend either Vidlearn or TES to people they've asked to take an SKE.
Not my opinion, no. Two PGCE course leaders (different unis) and an SLT member of a local school told me to go in person. And yes, I'm speaking from my own experience.

Nothing against online. I enjoy remote learning. My point being, if finances dictate, then go online. But you'd be hard pushed to find many providers who say it is better. The fact that they are better known is your opinion. But yes, they are fine.
Last edited by mathsandmadness; 2 days ago
HealthyMaths
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by traineemaths123)
Anyone doing a SKE course with Eureka? Doing a 16 week maths SKE but not sure what the assessments and what the content are going to be focused on. Feel free to message me!
Hi there

I’m also in the position where I am due to begin an initial teacher training course in mathematics this September, on condition that I successfully complete a twelve-week SKE first. I’ve narrowed my preferred choice down to Vidlearn and Eureka from the SKE course providers list. Can I ask what persuaded you to go for Eureka instead of Vidlearn? Any help/advice that you can provide me with would be most appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
traineemaths123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by HealthyMaths)
Hi there

I’m also in the position where I am due to begin an initial teacher training course in mathematics this September, on condition that I successfully complete a twelve-week SKE first. I’ve narrowed my preferred choice down to Vidlearn and Eureka from the SKE course providers list. Can I ask what persuaded you to go for Eureka instead of Vidlearn? Any help/advice that you can provide me with would be most appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Hii I saw a lot of feedback about the assessment side of Vidlearn which was just considered to be very intense and the workload way too much. Having to do tedious reflective summary of modules, summary of modules in a form of a presentation, extended multiple choice assessments. I work a full time job and I felt like Eureka was a more thoughtful approach to teaching maths holistically and the mathematical content. Hope that helps, let me know which one you decide
HealthyMaths
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 hour ago
(Original post by traineemaths123)
Hii I saw a lot of feedback about the assessment side of Vidlearn which was just considered to be very intense and the workload way too much. Having to do tedious reflective summary of modules, summary of modules in a form of a presentation, extended multiple choice assessments. I work a full time job and I felt like Eureka was a more thoughtful approach to teaching maths holistically and the mathematical content. Hope that helps, let me know which one you decide
Hi there

Thank you for your reply - I greatly appreciate the effort that you have made in responding to my post. I’ve heard similar things about the Vidlearn assessments. Do you have any information on Eureka and how they carry out assessments on their SKE course for mathematics? Thanks again in advance.
traineemaths123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 hour ago
When I spoke to the advisors, they said a lot of the assessments are self reflective about the modules and reflective of being in the role of a maths teacher. An example they gave me is that you could be set an assignment of how you would teach a certain topic to a class in the form of a presentation or something similar
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (282)
31.72%
No (607)
68.28%

Watched Threads