BethyO
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello
Are there any current medics on here that are successfully navigating Med school while bringing up children? Is it possible? Do you have any words of wisdom/warning?
Many thanks
Beth
DrSRH
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BethyO)
Hello
Are there any current medics on here that are successfully navigating Med school while bringing up children? Is it possible? Do you have any words of wisdom/warning?
Many thanks
Beth
I'll be at Notts in September on the GEM course. I have 2 children and I know of at least 3 other people on the course who have children and are in their 30s or 40s.

I think it is definitely doable but we'll probably need to reconcile ourselves with the fact we might not fully be joining in with the social side of the course.

The timetable for the first 18months at least is fairly good for me in terms of childcare arrangements and drop off/pick ups etc.

Good luck, happy to offer you any advice although it might be best to ask someone who's in the thick of the course rather than just starting out.

The plus side is....we won't have to juggle newborns and tiny babies when we're qualified!
Missymoo84
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi

I’m about to enter 5th year with 2 kids so can give you a fair idea.

First off it’s definately doable. As long as you’re motivated and organised with good childcare arrangements of course. That’s a must.

It’s a bit like working a 9-5 job in some respects but depending on the type of course, there will be a fair amount of work in the evenings too-there’s no escaping that.

I’ll be honest that I’ve spent many, many evenings feeling absolutely exhausted working til 10/11 o clock having put the kids to bed/cooked/bathed etc after a full day in. It’s hard. Lead up to exams is particularly stressful. There’s little time in the week to do much else other than that. Having said all that, Ive done fairly well on the course and weekends can be for family mostly if you do most of the work in the week.

Just make sure you really want to do it and for the right reasons. The novelty of getting in soon wears off and the endless learning can be tiresome. Also, don’t, unlike me, compare yourself to the school leavers/fresh graduates who have boundless energy and seem to know everything before youve had chance to learn it (not a dig!).

Happy to answer any other questions
BethyO
Rep:
?
Thank you both for replying to me. Can I ask, did you have to relocate for med school and if so did your children have to change schools? Unfortunately there are no GEM courses within a commutable distance from me, so if I am lucky enough to get an offer somewhere it will definitely involve moving☹️ My kids would be almost 7 and 2 when (if!) I start
Missymoo84
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was lucky to get an offer from a commutable med school onto a 5 year course. I really didn’t want to do GAMSAT etc and have to move so tailored my personal statement to the liking of the med school to up my chance of interview. Is a 5 year course an option for you at all?
BethyO
Rep:
?
Thanks Missymoo. Unfortunately it’s not an option for me. I have neither the finances nor the A levels to do the 5 year course!😢
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?