What is a level law like? Watch

vickkyyx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I had it as GCSE and I absolutely loved it,and I also want to become a lawyer because law interests me so much and I was wondering what other people think about it.I will be doing OCR exam board and I know roughly what topics we will be doing but still I want to know what other people think about it because from Taster day I liked it but I also liked Psychology and idk what should I do.I will for sure be doing law degree at uni,so for my A levels I choose history and English lit.
Dobby's Phoenix
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
with l.I am in second year of A level Law. if you're as dead set on law as you say you are, then I would by-pass the subject at a level and choose something else instead. A level law is a ***** of a memory game with little sense to the mark schemes. I wish I never took it and just went on to do it at uni instead with three other A-Levels under my belt. The marking is extremely harsh and the law departments for A-Levels are generally poor due to lack of quality teachers, although I can't speak for the individual college you will end up at.

If I were you I would pick 3 nice facilitating subjects with large and established departments. It sounds like bad advice to avoid the subject you want to do at uni, but honestly, everyone I know who does law from 3 different colleges all say the same, as well as undergrads. It is nothing like GCSE law. GCSE Law is nothing compared to A-level, so don't underestimate it is all I'd say.
McDonald's
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
A level Law was my favourite subject. I just finished second year. I was with AQA.
minivampire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I didn't take Law (took Psyc), but if you want to do a degree in Law i would suggest taking it at Alevel
It won't be exactly the same, but providing you are going through the same exam board there will be some similarities, and there will be some similarities to it at degree level.

E.g. I took Alevel Psyc (wasn't at option at gcse for me) but I'm taking Psyc at degree level.
Thw first year of my degree is practically the same as Alevel...
So having Alevel in Law may offer you some useful knowledge ready for your degree, which would be handy.

Taster days can be different to the actual subject, I had a taster on all my aubjects and found them so interesting. But one of my subjects (sociology) slowly became boring and it didn't live up to expectations.

Maybe try looking up what you are going to learn? So you can see if the subjects will interest you
new1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I did AQA and really enjoyed it! I also did psychology and found it a bit boring at times. But some might argue the other way round. I guess it’s personal preference.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (57)
15.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (33)
9.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (72)
19.73%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (54)
14.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (40)
10.96%
How can I be the best version of myself? (109)
29.86%

Watched Threads