The Student Room Group

History and Ancient History Applicants 2019

Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying!

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
GCSE grades:
Why History?
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey guys I'm Harry and planning on applying for straight history courses for Sept 19 entry.

Choices: Oxford, Edinburgh, Leeds, Sheffield 1 more

Current Subjects: History, English Literature and Religious Studies. Also doing an EPQ and have English Language at AS.

Predicted A2 Grades: A*AA

GCSE Grades: 998, 3A*s, 4As and a B (6A*s, 4As and a B total eq.)

Why history?: I just love learning, and history involves learning about everything that's ever happened and how it impacts the present. Opportunities for study are so broad.

Interesting Fact: I'm not really very interesting, but I was born on Christmas Eve! (that's the best I can do guys - sorry!)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by HT2412
Hey guys I'm Harry and planning on applying for straight history courses for Sept 19 entry.

Current Subjects: History, English Literature and Religious Studies. Also doing an EPQ and have English Language at AS.

Why history?: I just love learning, and history involves learning about everything that's ever happened and how it impacts the present. Opportunities for study are so broad.

Interesting Fact: I'm not really very interesting, but I was born on Christmas Eve! (that's the best I can do guys - sorry!)

Cool choices - I assume Oxford is your no. 1 choice? What type of history do you like best?
Reply 3
Name: jm6
Degree: History
University choices: Cambridge, Durham, Exeter, Warwick, another (York? St Andrews?)
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, English Literature, French, Maths, Further Maths
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*AB/A*A*A*A*A (underperformed in my Maths mocks but should be able to raise the predictions once I get back to school).
GCSE grades: 10.5A*s and an A in Additional Maths
Why History? One of the most fascinating and rigorous academic disciplines in my opinion - opportunities to analyse and weigh up a range of perspectives in order to consider not only past events but also times in which we live.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? I'm a cross-country runner for my school as well as playing football and supporting West Ham
I’m planning on applying for Ancient and Modern History!

Choices: Edinburgh and Oxford (daring, I know, but I’m Dutch and I prefer Leiden Uni here in the Netherlands over all other UK uni’s)

Current subjects: History, Dutch, Latin, Geography, English, Art History, Drama, Philosophy, Maths (normal amount of subjects here)

Predicted grades: 8.5 (A*) overall

Why history: because I see it everywhere I go

Interesting fact: the first thing that inspired me to apply to Oxford Uni was Out of the Blue’s cover of All I Want for Christmas Is You (OOTB is an all-male Oxford choir) when I was 12!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Hiya! I’m applying for the same, though not sure what college yet - possibly Trinity. How did you decide what college to apply to?
(edited 5 years ago)
Current History student here checking in to say hello and feel free to tag me in any questions too. Good Luck everyone!:smile:

You can find a full list of applicants thread for universities here, including one for each of the universities you apply to.
Check it out!:biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sarsss
Hiya! I’m applying for the same, though not sure what college yet - possibly Trinity. How did you decide what college to apply to?
If you've visited them go with the one you liked best. If you haven't visited, choose based on the descriptions. You may want to visit the Oxbridge forum for more details.:wink:
Reply 8
I think I turned up late to this party... but oh well:

University choices: Oxford, York, Durham, Exeter, Birmingham
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, English Literature, German and EPQ
Predicted A2 grades: A* A* A* (A* epq)
GCSE grades: 8 8 7 7A* A
Why History? I love learning things which both baffle and intrigue us but at the same time humble us and remind us to go forth into the present with a degree of caution.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? Umm... I do drama, dance and love quiche
Who here has had offers? I've had some from Warwick, Lancaster, and Nottingham but still waiting on Durham and Oxford (obviously). Anyone accepted by Durham yet?
ive had a durham offer and a bristol offer for history
Reply 11
Original post by elizabethperroni
ive had a durham offer and a bristol offer for history

If you don’t mind me asking, when did you apply and with what grades? Congrats btw!
Original post by Mtho
If you don’t mind me asking, when did you apply and with what grades? Congrats btw!

Thanks! I've also since had a ucl offer.
i applied 5th october, and am predicted 43 ib points (equivalent of about 3-4 A*s)
Original post by liverninthered
Who here has had offers? I've had some from Warwick, Lancaster, and Nottingham but still waiting on Durham and Oxford (obviously). Anyone accepted by Durham yet?

Yes I was accepted by Durham a couple of weeks ago. Have you heard anything yet??
Original post by MaddieH28
Yes I was accepted by Durham a couple of weeks ago. Have you heard anything yet??

No not yet. Applying for history with modern languages tho so that might be why
Ahh right yes that would make sense
Original post by HT2412

Hey! I'm also applying for history at Oxford - which college have you gone for? :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by poppy.gibbs
Hey! I'm also applying for history at Oxford - which college have you gone for? :smile:

I've applied to Mansfield hun - not holding out much hope though if I'm honest! How about you?
Original post by HT2412
I've applied to Mansfield hun - not holding out much hope though if I'm honest! How about you?

Ah cool. Why Mansfield? I didn't look at that one. I opted for Christ Church in the end, but I'm not feeling too great about it aha
Original post by poppy.gibbs
Ah cool. Why Mansfield? I didn't look at that one. I opted for Christ Church in the end, but I'm not feeling too great about it aha

I also applied to Christ Church for History. I am expecting the rejection any day now...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending