Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying!

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
GCSE grades:
Why History of Art?
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
:bump: Have you decided where to apply?
ofagonyniceties
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Whaddup, I'm going to be a Post A-Level applicant for History of Art!

University choices: Cambridge, Courtauld Institute, UCL and York (ordered purely for alphabetical reasons)
Subjects studied @ A2: English Lit, History and German (all Edexcel)
Grades achieved: A* in English Lit, A* in History and an A in German
GCSE grades: 6A*s, 6As
Why History of Art?: Embarking on a History of Art degree would be a three year long passion project; it was what I was always interested in studying, but because I've only recently developed a backbone, I was pretty much brainwashed into going into languages or something more 'employable'. I was looking for ways around it – the plan originally was to do a four year Modern Languages degree then do a postgraduate History of Art degree.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself?: I work part-time at a library, which means I can get my hands on as many free art books as I can. It's a pretty amazing job. Also left handed. Favourite medium is watercolour.
ellacate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there, I'm a U.S. student applying w AP exams.

University choices: Cambridge, The Courtauld (I can't decide where else; I was thinking UCL, York, and Warwick but I'm mostly applying to North American schools).
Grades achieved: 5s in AP Art History, English Language, English Literature, European History, Italian, Statistics, Psychology, Seminar, Environmental Science
Predicted A2 grades: 5s in AP French and hopefully AP Computer Science (there's no system for predicting grades at my school). I'm taking AP Macroeconomics as well but not till the spring.
Why History of Art? I want a subject that lets me combine all kinds of humanities disciplines and I love the idea of directly working with/learning with artifacts.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? I like to bake and I love Jurassic Park.
Ceruleanmusic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ellacate)
Hi there, I'm a U.S. student applying w AP exams.

University choices: Cambridge, The Courtauld (I can't decide where else; I was thinking UCL, York, and Warwick but I'm mostly applying to North American schools).
Grades achieved: 5s in AP Art History, English Language, English Literature, European History, Italian, Statistics, Psychology, Seminar, Environmental Science
Predicted A2 grades: 5s in AP French and hopefully AP Computer Science (there's no system for predicting grades at my school). I'm taking AP Macroeconomics as well but not till the spring.
Why History of Art? I want a subject that lets me combine all kinds of humanities disciplines and I love the idea of directly working with/learning with artifacts.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? I like to bake and I love Jurassic Park.
Wow! Those are amazing scores!!! How did you get a 5 in Eng Lit?!?!!? I'm a Canadian student and I'm applying (in 2020 though, I saw the thread was for 2019 but I still wanted to join in I hope you guys don't mind) with the OSSD and some AP exams.

University choices: Oxford, Courtauld, (maybe St Andrews?) for art history and U of T and McGill for philosophy/art history
Grades achieved: haha I only know my grade 10 marks, but probably around 92-94% average when I apply, 5s in AP Art History and Japanese
Predicted A2 grades: hopefully 5s in AP French, Studio Art, and European History (hesitant about taking AP Eng Lit as I heard it was very difficult to get a 5...)
Why History of Art? I go to an schools with a strong visual arts program. I enjoy philosophy, history, and arts (particularly visual arts) and art history is a good way to combine all three into a single subject. Our school also teaches a unit in art history every year in our arts classes.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? My favourite book is Anna Karenina, and I also keep a YouTube/instagram art account that I don't want my friends to know about hehe
ellacate
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ceruleanmusic)
Wow! Those are amazing scores!!! How did you get a 5 in Eng Lit?!?!!? I'm a Canadian student and I'm applying (in 2020 though, I saw the thread was for 2019 but I still wanted to join in I hope you guys don't mind) with the OSSD and some AP exams.

University choices: Oxford, Courtauld, (maybe St Andrews?) for art history and U of T and McGill for philosophy/art history
Grades achieved: haha I only know my grade 10 marks, but probably around 92-94% average when I apply, 5s in AP Art History and Japanese
Predicted A2 grades: hopefully 5s in AP French, Studio Art, and European History (hesitant about taking AP Eng Lit as I heard it was very difficult to get a 5...)
Why History of Art? I go to an schools with a strong visual arts program. I enjoy philosophy, history, and arts (particularly visual arts) and art history is a good way to combine all three into a single subject. Our school also teaches a unit in art history every year in our arts classes.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? My favourite book is Anna Karenina, and I also keep a YouTube/instagram art account that I don't want my friends to know about hehe
Sweet! French and Japanese is super impressive. McGill seems great; I think it’s my second choice.

Haha thanks—AP Lit wasn’t too bad for me (i missed the point by like 500 miles and wrote about plants when I should have been writing about colonialism, but it turned out ok). Lit and Lang are APs that you could easily self-study because there’s no specific texts to read and you really just need to know basic lit terms like metaphor, diction, etc. So you should definitely go for it, it’s relevant and pretty straightforward! (For me, AP Euro was way harder content-wise…I have a giant google doc of my notes if you’re interested.)

What area of art history are you most interested in rn?
Ceruleanmusic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I self studied for my art history and Japanese AP bc our school doesn’t offer AP or honors classes. I’m also planning to self study for the ones I’m doing this year. What books do you suggest I read for AP lit? I have a huge suggested reading list but I don’t know where to begin with haha. I love history so I want to study for the AP Euro but I also don’t have a textbook to follow bc they’re too expensive to buy. If you don’t mind, I would love to take a look at your notes did you self study for AP Euro? I don’t have teachers to look at or grade my FRQ or DBQ so yeah...I’m most interested in Baroque and Gothic architecture and rococo painting (I’m interested in all areas of art history though) - what about you?
ellacate
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I self studied for my art history and Japanese AP bc our school doesn’t offer AP or honors classes. I’m also planning to self study for the ones I’m doing this year. What books do you suggest I read for AP lit? I have a huge suggested reading list but I don’t know where to begin with haha. I love history so I want to study for the AP Euro but I also don’t have a textbook to follow bc they’re too expensive to buy. If you don’t mind, I would love to take a look at your notes did you self study for AP Euro? I don’t have teachers to look at or grade my FRQ or DBQ so yeah...I’m most interested in Baroque and Gothic architecture and rococo painting (I’m interested in all areas of art history though) - what about you?
I sent you a private message with a lot of tips (read: too many tips, you don't have to read all of them) for Lit and Euro. And Baroque religious art is fantastic - I love Spanish Baroque polychrome sculpture because I'm apparently a drama queen at heart. I'm most interested in nineteenth-century British art at the moment, especially women's art and landscape painting. I'm also getting into constructivism.
ellacate
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ofagonyniceties)
Whaddup, I'm going to be a Post A-Level applicant for History of Art!

University choices: Cambridge, Courtauld Institute, UCL and York (ordered purely for alphabetical reasons)
Subjects studied @ A2: English Lit, History and German (all Edexcel)
Grades achieved: A* in English Lit, A* in History and an A in German
GCSE grades: 6A*s, 6As
Why History of Art?: Embarking on a History of Art degree would be a three year long passion project; it was what I was always interested in studying, but because I've only recently developed a backbone, I was pretty much brainwashed into going into languages or something more 'employable'. I was looking for ways around it – the plan originally was to do a four year Modern Languages degree then do a postgraduate History of Art degree.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself?: I work part-time at a library, which means I can get my hands on as many free art books as I can. It's a pretty amazing job. Also left handed. Favourite medium is watercolour.
Your subject choices seem ideal and congrats on your grades - are you interested in German art? And what college do you think you'll apply to at Cambridge? I'm thinking Newnham. My personal statement is giving me trouble though. It's getting more soulless and list-y every time I edit!
ofagonyniceties
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ellacate)
Your subject choices seem ideal and congrats on your grades - are you interested in German art? And what college do you think you'll apply to at Cambridge? I'm thinking Newnham. My personal statement is giving me trouble though. It's getting more soulless and list-y every time I edit!
Hahaha yeah I guess you could say I like quite a lot of German art. I’ll be applying to Homerton College, I love the vibe there and the academics I met at the open day seemed so warm and supportive and lovely! It’s apparently the most friendly Cambridge college too lol. Your PS is important, but keep in mind it’s only one part of the application - I’m stressed out about the fact that I haven’t really done any work experience for History of Art (it’s kind of tough to come by for me because I live in a relatively rural part of England) but I hope all of the reading and documentaries and the MOOC I’m going to do should be enough. I think the bottom line is to show genuine enthusiasm or passion for the subject ) good luck for your application!
Amber Moyse
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Spoiler:
Show
yikes there are some amazing grades on here, in quite academic courses I did/do loads of practical art based courses oh dear 😪 but because I want to study art history I make the course into an art history course myself and do so much self teaching on it, good luck to everyone applying for 2019 🙂
tameimpalaaa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If anybody who has done history of art/knows about the degree in depth could give me some guidance then that would be appreciated. I am still undecided.

Questions:

a) Does history have to be your strongest subject? English Lit is my highest predicted grade, but I have heard that the skills in En Lit can be transferred to history of art.

b) Which is better - Taking history of art or doing it as one of the modules in a normal History degree (alongside medieval history etc.)?
lil19k
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi!
University choices:
History of Art:Cambridge (Trinity Hall) and the Courtauld
History of Art and Italian: UCL, St Andrews, Exeter and McGill (Montreal, Canada)
Offers:
History of Art and Italian:UCL (AAB), St Andrews (AAB) and Exeter (AAA, AAB if first choice). History of Art: Courtauld (AAB)
Invited to interview at Trinity Hall in early December.
Still waiting to hear back from McGill and Cambridge.
3 A Levels/Pre-Us: Art History, History and French
Predicted A2 grades:
Predicted:A* (Art History), A* (History), A (French)
GCSE grades:
11 A*s
Last edited by lil19k; 1 year ago
Ceruleanmusic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tameimpalaaa)
If anybody who has done history of art/knows about the degree in depth could give me some guidance then that would be appreciated. I am still undecided.

Questions:

a) Does history have to be your strongest subject? English Lit is my highest predicted grade, but I have heard that the skills in En Lit can be transferred to history of art.

b) Which is better - Taking history of art or doing it as one of the modules in a normal History degree (alongside medieval history etc.)?
I can't really say, but I think you should do whatever interests you or challenges you the most. And yes, I believe skills in En Lit are transferable to history, as it involves a lot of close reading and analysis.
Ceruleanmusic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lilyindira)
Hi!
University choices:
History of Art: Cambridge (Trinity Hall) and the Courtauld
History of Art and Italian: UCL, St Andrews, Exeter and McGill (Montreal, Canada)
Offers:
History of Art and Italian: UCL (AAB) and Exeter (AAA, AAB if first choice).
Invited to interview at Trinity Hall in early December.
Still waiting to hear back from McGill, the Courtauld and St Andrews.
3 A Levels/Pre-Us: Art History, History and French
Predicted A2 grades:
Predicted: A* (Art History), A* (History), A (French)
GCSE grades:
11 A*s
Wow that's cool that you're applying to McGill. I'm Canadian and I've been mostly thinking about applying to UK schools (Oxford and Courtauld). You have awesome grades. Also, have you considered Ecole du Louvre as an art history school? It's a really good school, and since you're taking French at A Level, I would assume you're very fluent in it. Good luck!
lil19k
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow that's cool that you're applying to McGill. I'm Canadian and I've been mostly thinking about applying to UK schools (Oxford and Courtauld). You have awesome grades. Also, have you considered Ecole du Louvre as an art history school? It's a really good school, and since you're taking French at A Level, I would assume you're very fluent in it. Good luck!
Hi
Thank you very much!
Have you also applied for McGill? Where in Canada do you live?
I visited McGill in October for the open house day and I really loved it and Montreal as a city. I live in York in the UK so I'm also mainly applying to UK universities, but after visiting McGill & really liking it I decided to apply there too.
Have you been over to visit the Courtauld? I did a week long course there during my Easter holidays this year and it was fantastic.
While I'm doing French I'm not sure if its quite good enough for the Ecole du Louvre haha - but it sounds like an amazing school to study at!
Lily
Ceruleanmusic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lilyindira)
Hi
Thank you very much!
Have you also applied for McGill? Where in Canada do you live?
I visited McGill in October for the open house day and I really loved it and Montreal as a city. I live in York in the UK so I'm also mainly applying to UK universities, but after visiting McGill & really liking it I decided to apply there too.
Have you been over to visit the Courtauld? I did a week long course there during my Easter holidays this year and it was fantastic.
While I'm doing French I'm not sure if its quite good enough for the Ecole du Louvre haha - but it sounds like an amazing school to study at!
Lily
I replied earlier in this thread, but I'm applying to McGill and University of Toronto (as I live in Ontario). Montreal is a wonderful city to live in, especially for students, as there's a lot to do there. Except for the fact that McGill's art history department may not be as well funded since it's combined with its communications department (I asked an admissions representative there). McGill is one of my top choices but funding cuts are one of the reasons I'm also considering UofT as a backup option. I've never been to the UK in general, but I can get a feeling that I would absolutely love Courtauld based on its location, size, and atmosphere (and the fact that it's specifically for art history. I have not applied yet as I still have one year of school left (in grade 11, year 12 I suppose? I will also be applying to Ecole du Louvre (one I improve my French enough haha)
J.J.
Nefaknd
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hola everyone

[b]University choices: Warwick, St. Andrews, the courtauld, goldsmiths and Edinburgh
[b]What subject(s) are currently studying?: maths, art and psychology
[b]Predicted A2 grades: ABB
[b]GCSE grades: 2 A*s, 3 As, 4 Bs and 2 Cs
[b]Why History of Art? I want to go into being either becoming an art critic or going into restoration so this course made the most sense
[b]Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? I am doing an art history course outside of school at the moment along with 2 EPQs
2camitchell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
University choices: UCL, Courtauld, Sussex, Goldsmiths and Brighton
What subject(s) are currently studying?: English lang/lit, History and English (did history of art and photography last year for AS)
Predicted A2 grades: AAB
GCSE grades: As and Bs
Why History of Art? I LOVE IT i love aaart and hhhistory and it just makes me very very happy
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? i like sailing lol ?
tameimpalaaa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Quick question - Do you need an A at History A-Level to do Art History at say, UCL or York?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?