The Student Room Group

Economics Applicants 2019

Scroll to see replies

uni choices: Warwick, Durham, Leeds, Manchester, LSE (for economics and economic history)a level subjects: Geography, Economics, Mathspredicted grades: A*, A*, A*gcses: 7A*s, 3Asso paranoid about offers, like i submitted mine 2 weeks ago and i've only got an offer from Manchester. Refreshing UCAS track every 2 seconds :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by conical flask
uni choices: Warwick, Durham, Leeds, Manchester, LSE (for economics and economic history)a level subjects: Geography, Economics, Mathspredicted grades: A*, A*, A*gcses: 7A*s, 3Asso paranoid about offers, like i submitted mine 2 weeks ago and i've only got an offer from Manchester. Refreshing UCAS track every 2 seconds :frown:

I wouldn’t worry a lot of places take a while to give out offers, I submitted on 15th and I’ve not even had acknowledgments from them all yet. I’d imagine you’d hear back from Leeds and Durham relatively soon and Warwick is usually around mid to end November from what I’ve read
Original post by sb10
I wouldn’t worry a lot of places take a while to give out offers, I submitted on 15th and I’ve not even had acknowledgments from them all yet. I’d imagine you’d hear back from Leeds and Durham relatively soon and Warwick is usually around mid to end November from what I’ve read

Thank you so much. That put me at ease a bit.
Original post by Loyle2017
University choices: Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, Leeds - unsure on 5th, maybe Edinburgh/Exeter/Manchester????
Subjects: Maths, Economics, English Lit
Predicted A2s: A*A*A (A in Maths)
AS: AAA
GCSE grades: 10A*s
Why Econ: really interested in international trade :smile:

If anyone could think of a good 5th option let me know (AAA or below for insurance)
Also if anyone knows which out of the Durham/Nottingham/Bristol courses are better let me know as they are all A*AA !!!!!!

hi i am in year 12 , any tips on how to do well in economics ? do u need to keep in track of the news , also i want to do economics too but when i go on to read economics books i sometimes dont really understnad what its talking about , does this happen to u or is it just me?
Original post by jess384
Hi, I am just starting my A-Levels in math, physics and economics, and I want to do economics at uni. I was wondering if anyone who is doing economics at uni/hoping to do it can tell me any books/podcasts/lectures/etc. that I could do to help me with the A-level (I'm hoping for an A*) and help me get into uni for my personal statement (I'm looking at Oxford, LSE and Exeter).
Many thanks and any advice would be welcomed.

hi just wanted to say i am in he same position as u , high five !
Original post by username3059844
Give oxford E+M a shot. oxford doesn't need A* in maths and you have amazing gcse grades!

i really want to do E+M in oxford , if u get in please help me lol !
Original post by Loyle2017
University choices: Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, Leeds - unsure on 5th, maybe Edinburgh/Exeter/Manchester????
Subjects: Maths, Economics, English Lit
Predicted A2s: A*A*A (A in Maths)
AS: AAA
GCSE grades: 10A*s
Why Econ: really interested in international trade :smile:

If anyone could think of a good 5th option let me know (AAA or below for insurance)
Also if anyone knows which out of the Durham/Nottingham/Bristol courses are better let me know as they are all A*AA !!!!!!

Manchester is AAB so i would go with that. Exeter is too white for me LOOOL and Edinburgh is like pointlessly a 4 year course with an integrated masters but appaz recruiters dont see it as a proper masters anyway. Not sure about which course is better for the Durham/Nots/Bristol thing, but my advice is go for the uni which has the best overall image - in my opinion its durham
Original post by Presence
hi i am in year 12 , any tips on how to do well in economics ? do u need to keep in track of the news , also i want to do economics too but when i go on to read economics books i sometimes dont really understnad what its talking about , does this happen to u or is it just me?

make notes as you go along cause otherwise you will cry - econ is sooo content heavy so it will build up. You should have a general jist of the news like maybe set a target of reading one article a week. At my school each econ lesson someone brings in an article and we analyse it as a class. It depends on which econ books you read, perhaps try the more accessible ones before going into complex ones. I recommend Nudge which is about behavioural economics if you are into that. But yeah I get the not understanding thing. The more econ you study the more you will get it. Trust after doing all of year 12 you will understand it way more
make notes as you go along cause otherwise you will cry - econ is sooo content heavy so it will build up. You should have a general jist of the news like maybe set a target of reading one article a week. At my school each econ lesson someone brings in an article and we analyse it as a class. It depends on which econ books you read, perhaps try the more accessible ones before going into complex ones. I recommend Nudge which is about behavioural economics if you are into that. But yeah I get the not understanding thing. The more econ you study the more you will get it. Trust after doing all of year 12 you will understand it way more

thank you !! yes i have heard of nudge x its in my reading list next ! well done for the grades thats amazing! honestly i feel like a levels are so hard already zzz i dot know how i am going to do but oh well its just the begininng zzzz
Original post by Presence
thank you !! yes i have heard of nudge x its in my reading list next ! well done for the grades thats amazing! honestly i feel like a levels are so hard already zzz i dot know how i am going to do but oh well its just the begininng zzzz

thanks so much xx. Honestly relatable, the step up from GCSE to A level had me shook. Trust, you can do it though.
thanks so much xx. Honestly relatable, the step up from GCSE to A level had me shook. Trust, you can do it though.

thank you !! wish u all the best
University choices: Durham, Oxford, Warwick, LSE, St Andrew's
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Econ, History
Predicted A2 grades: A*AA
AS grades: Did not do AS
GCSE grades: 6A* 3A
Why Economics?: The development of poor economies is a particular draw
Reply 32
I'm applying for Econ and Maths but Economics only at Warwick
University choices: Warwick Nottingham Birmingham Edinburgh Bristol
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths Economics Physics
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A
AS grades: I did internal exams.
GCSE grades: 1A* 8A 3B
Why Economics?: I love using maths and stats to utilise in the real world.
Reply 33
Uni Choices: Warwick, Notts, Bristol, Exeter, Bath
Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and an EPQ
Predicted A2 Grades: A*A*A (Math, Econ, Further maths ) (A/A* EPQ no idea tbf)
GCSE: 7 a*/a
Why economics: I like maths and they can be intertwined
(edited 5 years ago)
Uni Choices: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Durham, Bath (got offers from Durham and Bath already!)
Subjects: Economics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths
Predicted: 4A*
GCSE: 8A*
Why economics: its significant relevance to other subjects (maths, politics, philosophy, psychology, etc.) as well as real life, its flexibility; love writing essays, especially macro, love solving calculus and algebra problems (it never gets boring as you can switch between reading/writing and using quantitative methods), helps prevent my writing skills from dying
guys ngl its so depressing watching everyone get their offers for other subjects like swear econ offers don't come for ages. the wait is honestly brutal
Economics - Notts, Bristol, Exeter, Bath - 4 conditional offers received. Leeds pendingEcon, Maths, Business, HistoryA*AAAAABC5A*4A1BLove the subject
Reply 37
Original post by abhirami.menon1
Economics - Notts, Bristol, Exeter, Bath - 4 conditional offers received. Leeds pendingEcon, Maths, Business, HistoryA*AAAAABC5A*4A1BLove the subject

Nice one well done. What were your predicted
guys ngl its so depressing watching everyone get their offers for other subjects like swear econ offers don't come for ages. the wait is honestly brutal

legit i just want one offer to know my app was good enough!!
Original post by abhirami.menon1

congrats! when did you send your ucas off?

Quick Reply

Latest