The Student Room Group

Not allowed to go out

So basically my parents don’t let me go out. At all. I’m expected to have a bath every night at 7:00 FFS and then put pyjamas on So i can’t go out. I sit at home bored out of my mind going on social media seeing everyone I know out having a good time. She expects me to stay at home during the day and do chores for her and if I don’t then I’m not allowed to go near her for a few hours. I’m bored and depressed because of this. I want school to start again so I can leave the house and actually do more than sit at home cleaning all day. The house is already clean there’s nothing left to clean but it has to be done every day and she calls to check it’s done and can somehow tell if it’s not done. I’m losing my mind does anyone have any advice and if you have similar experiences tell me what you did

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Studentboy783
So basically my parents don’t let me go out. At all. I’m expected to have a bath every night at 7:00 FFS and then put pyjamas on So i can’t go out. I sit at home bored out of my mind going on social media seeing everyone I know out having a good time. She expects me to stay at home during the day and do chores for her and if I don’t then I’m not allowed to go near her for a few hours. I’m bored and depressed because of this. I want school to start again so I can leave the house and actually do more than sit at home cleaning all day. The house is already clean there’s nothing left to clean but it has to be done every day and she calls to check it’s done and can somehow tell if it’s not done. I’m losing my mind does anyone have any advice and if you have similar experiences tell me what you did

How old are you?
Original post by DrawTheLine
How old are you?

I’m 14 nearly 15
My parents were like this and they only started letting me be more independent once I fixed up my grades.
I’m 14 nearly 15
Original post by mylifeisajoke
My parents were like this and they only started letting me be more independent once I fixed up my grades.

See I have good grades mainly A’s with a few B’s
I’m 14 nearly 15

You're still pretty young so it's understandable. Just wait it out a bit and see it is loosens up.
Sounds like you got Asian Parents. Ik how u feel. But usually you just got to give them time :frown:

See I have good grades mainly A’s with a few B’s
You're still pretty young so it's understandable. Just wait it out a bit and see it is loosens up.

See I used to be able to go out. The thing that stopped it was starting year 7. She said it’s gonna take time away from my studying. I’ve had to quit extra curricular activities because I’m “too busy with school”. Does she want a male Hermione granger.
Reply 8

it's abnormal not to let a 14/15 year old out by themselves.

very abnormal.

I was 10 or 11 until my mum let me go out with my friends, and believe me when i say i was the last one in my friendship group to get that freedom.........
For those saying I’m too young I mean simply walking from my house to one of the local shops when I want something from one of them is something I’m not allowed to do. It’s not a dangerous walk I take it 5 times a week when I get off the bus from school so I don’t get what the danger is doing it sometimes earlier than when I get home from school. Also my parents aren’t Asian they’re average U.K. parents
(edited 5 years ago)
For those saying I’m too young I mean simply walking from my house to one of the local shops when I want something from one of them is something I’m not allowed to do. It’s not a dangerous walk I take it 5 times a week when I get off the bus from school so I don’t get what the danger is doing it sometimes earlier than when I get home from school. Also my parents aren’t Asian they’re average U.K. parents

what is your ethnicity? just wait it out you'll get more freedom in sixth form because you'll have like 2-4 hour breaks during the day so u can go out at those times with your mates and they wont know
i rarely go out since I can't be bothered to leave my house.

find a hobby to do, build models, learn a language or instruments. learn to cook. build something cool. etc. that's what I do.
Reply 12

it's borderline child abuse imo

it's actually like being locked in prison for 6 weeks [yes prisons have tv's and stuff too]
Reply 13
Why on earth shouldn't you be allowed out? Aged 15 I was getting up to all sorts of trouble. Spent most of my summer in the woods with my dog. I was about 15 when I went solo wild camping for the first time too. Loved it.

Granted my parents may have been a touch too permissive, but insisting on baths at 7 and not being allowed to go to the local shops is ridiculous.
Original post by katf
Why on earth shouldn't you be allowed out? Aged 15 I was getting up to all sorts of trouble. Spent most of my summer in the woods with my dog. I was about 15 when I went solo wild camping for the first time too. Loved it.

Granted my parents may have been a touch too permissive, but insisting on baths at 7 and not being allowed to go to the local shops is ridiculous.

Well I can go to the local shops but it has to be before a certain time, I have to have a good reason and I have to ask a certain amount of time in advance
talk to ur parents about it, tell them that ur old enough and that u dont like to be imprisoned at home all day everyday.
Original post by ThronesRanger
talk to ur parents about it, tell them that ur old enough and that u dont like to be imprisoned at home all day everyday.

I’ve get tried I get asked what I’m gonna do when I go out which I can remotely understand since they store my Christmas and birthday money away until I want to buy something with it that they deem important. Also I don’t get pocket money. The money I have is usually when I’ve not been asked to give back the change when running a rare errand for her
wtf? Um, get yourself dressed, walk to the door and then open it to go outside for a bit (tell your parents just as you attempt to leave the damn place; they will only be pissed for a short-period of time btw and your punishment will be short-term as well). Just... be rebellious.

I mean, what's the worst they can do as a means to punish you? Beat the living crap out of you? Ha!
Original post by Qup
wtf? Um, get yourself dressed, walk to the door and then open it to go outside for a bit (tell your parents just as you attempt to leave the damn place; they will only be pissed for a short-period of time btw and your punishment will be short-term as well). Just... be rebellious.

I mean, what's the worst they can do as a means to punish you? Beat the living crap out of you? Ha!

My key to the house is kept in the coffee table in the lounge and so they can see if I’m gonna take it and take it off me if they want
Original post by Qup

some parents do beat, its not rare.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending