The Student Room Group

Just graduated uni... what to do now?

So, I just graduated with a MA-Linguistics with Merrit from Glasgow Uni. It’s always been my dream to be an astronomer and work in an observatory. I ended up transferring from the university I was at in the US, where I was majoring in physics and Spanish and minoring in French political science and history, to Glasgow where I completed an MA in Linguistics. This was probably my first mistake as I'd been accepted onto the physics course at Glasgow when I applied out of high school, but for some reason, when I transferred, I wasn't accepted onto the physics course. Instead of pursuing that issue more, I just went with the linguistics.

My first mistake.Now, from what I've been told from other people on reddit and student room, etc, is that it is virtually impossible to get on a physics PhD research project without having a high class Physics undergrad degree. Some suggested looking at the open university's distance learning course for physics and then looking to do a Physics PhD after that. Which at my age, really wouldn't be the end of the world given that I am only 20. My interests in physics are mainly string theory, quantum mechanics and examining black holes, wormholes, god particle and other aspects of theoretical physics.The second option would be to do a PhD in something related to linguistiscs. When it comes to that field, my interests are the evolution of language, how language reflects culture, studying those with speech disabilities, comparing human communication to that of primates and dolphins, etc. I'm not really sure what type of research that would fall under or what types of PhD's to look for in that category, so if you have advice about that, please let me know.Lastly, my partner is in Scotland, so I have also been toying with the idea of getting a postgraduate teaching certification and working in a high school classroom, or even general lectureships.

A tier 2 sponsorship would allow me to get back to the UK sooner, which is really where my heart is and where I feel at home. Many of the lectureships that I have seen do not require postgraduate education. I applied for a lecturing position in translation studies at Glasgow, and afterwards I was looking at PhD entry requirements which basically all said that “students should normally posses a 2:1 honours degree” and upon further googling and digging up old reddit posts, some folk were even saying doing a PhD isn’t going to be a high enough yield to warrant doing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/x6sh2/phd_students_of_reddit_do_you_regret_it/As a 20 year old graduate, I just feel like I’m not ready for any of this and really just wish I didn’t have to do all this on my own. The advising team at Glasgow didn't really offer too much assistance over the 8-9 times that I met with them. I really wish I had those other two years of uni to fall back on and that I didn’t have to worry about this now. I feel a lot of self induced pressure because I have always wanted to be on the same level as my mother and sister who have a J.D and an MD respectively. Additionally, having a PhD will open up a tremendous amount of doors in terms of research and innovation in a field that I am passionate about.

Really stressing and just need help and guidance.
Would really appreciate it.Cheers,
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

any suggestions..?
I quickly skimmed through your post.

Think about it this way, is doing a PHD going to massively change your career prospects? If it is, look into it. If it is a maybe or no, then I personally wouldn't.

Employers much prefer relevant experience.
Original post by randomgeeza
I quickly skimmed through your post.

Think about it this way, is doing a PHD going to massively change your career prospects? If it is, look into it. If it is a maybe or no, then I personally wouldn't.

Employers much prefer relevant experience.

No, it's more so something that I have always wanted. Since I was 5, I wanted to be an astronomer.
Reply 4
Original post by natesmith1016
No, it's more so something that I have always wanted. Since I was 5, I wanted to be an astronomer.

Is there some kind of aptitude / IQ test you can take to indicate whether you would be of physics phd caliber were you to take a physics degree?

*At Glasgow (and the other three ancient universities in Scotland), an Honours level degree in the Arts is called a Master of Arts (MA) and an Honours level degree in the Social Sciences a Master of Arts (Social Sciences). These should not be confused with the Master of Arts offered by some universities in England, which refers to a postgraduate qualification (copied form the Glasgow prospectus)

Be careful, you don't have a Masters degree in the commonly accepted sense. You have an undergrad degree that your specific university gives another name to.

The talk about a PhD in astronomy, frankly undermines the credibility of your frequent posts on this matter. You should be able to work out for yourself that it's a complete pipe-dream, unless you completely start again with school-leaver level qualifications and have the money to pay for a second undergrad degree, then the potential and money to progress to a Masters and are then good enough to get funding for a PhD. It sounds like complete nonsense as an option, given everything else you say.

If you want to live in Scotland, get a job. And I've never heard of a university academic coming straight off the back on an undergraduate degree.
Original post by ajj2000
Is there some kind of aptitude / IQ test you can take to indicate whether you would be of physics phd caliber were you to take a physics degree?

I majored in physics before I transferred lol I know that I am.
Original post by threeportdrift
*At Glasgow (and the other three ancient universities in Scotland), an Honours level degree in the Arts is called a Master of Arts (MA) and an Honours level degree in the Social Sciences a Master of Arts (Social Sciences). These should not be confused with the Master of Arts offered by some universities in England, which refers to a postgraduate qualification (copied form the Glasgow prospectus)

Be careful, you don't have a Masters degree in the commonly accepted sense. You have an undergrad degree that your specific university gives another name to.

The talk about a PhD in astronomy, frankly undermines the credibility of your frequent posts on this matter. You should be able to work out for yourself that it's a complete pipe-dream, unless you completely start again with school-leaver level qualifications and have the money to pay for a second undergrad degree, then the potential and money to progress to a Masters and are then good enough to get funding for a PhD. It sounds like complete nonsense as an option, given everything else you say.

If you want to live in Scotland, get a job. And I've never heard of a university academic coming straight off the back on an undergraduate degree.

>Pipe dream.

Tbh that’s quite cheeky and downright rude. It’s not a pipe dream at all. I’m 20, I could literally start over at a local Jesuit university and have a PhD by the time I’m 28.

Listen, and listen very carefully. Your dreams do not matter in the real world. The real world doesn't care about your dreams.

Society wants people that produce something for society, or offer something of value to society in their everyday lives. Frankly, no one is going to pay you to be an astronomer, they are not.

Kids want the new black ops game, kids want the new Nintendo DS, the elderly want to be cared for and looked after, the person that has kidney failure wants to be operated on in order to save their lives, Michael wants the central heating to work during winter.

Society doesn't care about stars, space or anything that an astronmer does. So I suggest that you change fields, and realise that you dreams do not matter at all in the real world unless that dream offers something that society wants and needs.
(edited 5 years ago)
You should be able to work out for yourself that it's a complete pipe-dream, unless you completely start again with school-leaver level qualifications and have the money to pay for a second undergrad degree, then the potential and money to progress to a Masters and are then good enough to get funding for a PhD. .

>Pipe dream.

Tbh that’s quite cheeky and downright rude. It’s not a pipe dream at all. I’m 20, I could literally start over at a local Jesuit university and have a PhD by the time I’m 28.

Your highly selective reading is also likely to be a problem for postgraduate study.
Original post by fabragas27
Listen, and listen very carefully. Your dreams do not matter in the real world. The real world doesn't care about your dreams.

Society wants people that produce something for society, or offer something of value to society in their everyday lives. Frankly, no one is going to pay you to be an astronomer, they are not.

Kids want the new black ops game, kids want the new Nintendo DS, the elderly want to be cared for and looked after, the person that has kidney failure wants to be operated on in order to save their lives, Michael wants the central heating to work during winter.

Society doesn't care about stars, space or anything that an astronmer does. So I suggest that you change fields, and realise that you dreams do not matter at all in the real world unless that dream offers something that society wants and needs.

You sound mundane
Original post by Rollersteaam
You sound mundane

The truth isn't usually very exciting or pleasant. But I'd rather be told the truth than be told a lie just because you don't want to hurt my cushy dreams and feelings.
>Pipe dream.

Please take the time to read this, I think it may help...
I was talking to a friend of mine and his cousin finished school at 18 and worked at Game for two years. Eventually he decided (when he was about your age) to pursue a degree in Physics (and maths, joint, I believe) through the Open University.
After that, he went on to do a teaching qualification and even trained at the school I was a pupil of at the time (all the while still reading his subjects as an academic would). I think he eventually gained something amazing like 2 BScs and a Masters in Mathematics (all 1sts aswell).
He then did a PhD while working at one of the TOP Grammar Schools in my area as a Mathematics and Physics teacher.
He is now in contension for a Fellowship in the Maths Dept at the Univeristy of Warwick (which happens to be the best Maths research university in the UK).
So now he's looking at a £70k+ salary per year and all he's done is what he loves; studying and teaching! (I appreciate that I probably sound like one of those "Make £290 a day from home" adverts, but it is true)

The point I am making is that you are NEVER too old to start afresh and, if you put your mind to it, you can achieve your dreams (without sounding too corny). It takes absolute dedication and drive, but if you are as passionate as you say you are, you will do it.
(He also didn't have to move away at any point, so you would be fine to stick with your partner :smile: )
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by fabragas27

Yea, sorry no. I’m not going to give up on my dream. What society values is irrelevant to me. That’s what I’ve wanted to do and will do.
Original post by OscarLima
Please take the time to read this, I think it may help...
I was talking to a friend of mine and his cousin finished school at 18 and worked at Game for two years. Eventually he decided (when he was about your age) to pursue a degree in Physics (and maths, joint, I believe) through the Open University.
After that, he went on to do a teaching qualification and even trained at the school I was a pupil of at the time (all the while still reading his subjects as an academic would). I think he eventually gained something amazing like 2 BScs and a Masters in Mathematics (all 1sts aswell).
He then did a PhD while working at one of the TOP Grammar Schools in my area as a Mathematics and Physics teacher.
He is now in contension for a Fellowship in the Maths Dept at the Univeristy of Warwick (which happens to be the best Maths research university in the UK).
So now he's looking at a £70k+ salary per year and all he's done is what he loves; studying and teaching! (I appreciate that I probably sound like one of those "Make £290 a day from home" adverts, but it is true)

The point I am making is that you are NEVER too old to start afresh and, if you put your mind to it, you can achieve your dreams (without sounding too corny). It takes absolute dedication and drive, but if you are as passionate as you say you are, you will do it.
(He also didn't have to move away at any point, so you would be fine to stick with your partner :smile: )

Hey thanks for that story it was really cool! I’m so glad for your mate and you seem really proud of them. It’s nice to hear an answer that isn’t doom and gloom lol. A lot of people here seem to be really pessimistic and downright nasty at times.

If I have to get another undergrad degree fine it’s no big deal. I have like a year of physics credits so I’d already be nearly halfway done with my degree due to the other credits I’ve got. There’s a Jesuit university in my city that would give me free tuition too since I went to a Jesuit high school, lol.
Reply 15
You don't have a masters, that's for sure. If you want to get into physics, you need to do a masters course. And get experience.
Your highly selective reading is also likely to be a problem for postgraduate study.

When you say rude things you kinda turn people off from the rest of your sentence. Also, I have a degree, postgraduate study won’t be an issue for me mate.
Yea, sorry no. I’m not going to give up on my dream. What society values is irrelevant to me. That’s what I’ve wanted to do and will do.

Ha, well you can sit there on the unemployment line and claim benefits with 40,000+ in student loans, being a parasite and basically sticking your middle up to the tax payers.

Congratulations you are a productive member of society.
I majored in physics before I transferred lol I know that I am.

You lack humility. Anyway, if you are good enough go for it - complete a second undergrad (2 years to go) and then do postgrad. But then. you seem to know that - so why ask the question on here?
Original post by ajj2000
You lack humility. Anyway, if you are good enough go for it - complete a second undergrad (2 years to go) and then do postgrad. But then. you seem to know that - so why ask the question on here?

How do I lack humility? You insinuated that my IQ might be lacking and not able to get on a physics course. I majored in physics.

Quick Reply