The Student Room Group

What to do about emotional abuse?

I’m 17 and i’ve recently admitted to myself that I am being emotionally abused by my mother. My home in general is a very toxic place to live but my mum specifically speaks to me in a very belittling and rude way and always makes me feel worthless. Ive always assumed I was sensitive and have tried to brush it off because I love her and I do believe she loves me too but when we have people round they notice the way she speaks to me and it’s even worse when we don’t have guests. For example today she asked me to get her a drink of water and so I handed her a bottle of water and she started shouting at me and told me to “**** off out her sight” because she wanted a glass of water not a bottle. it’s only little things like that but it has been getting to me for years and I think it’s a factor in my suffering from depression. I can’t talk to her about this because she just gets angry and says well we all feel like that or you’re too sensitive or have you never considered my feelings, implying that it’s the same for her but i’m always speaking to her in a nice
way as i try to avoid arguments as much as possible. Ive done some googling and I don’t know who I can go for to get help about this because I’m struggling to live in my own home because of it and I really don’t want to live here any more. What can I do?
Reply 1
Are you still at school? If so you can talk to a trusted teacher and they can help you, or you can talk to your doctor or ring a local women’s advice line, social care or childline. They can all advise you and hopefully offer help. Good luck, it sounds like an awful situation.
Reply 2
Original post by Ftmshk
Are you still at school? If so you can talk to a trusted teacher and they can help you, or you can talk to your doctor or ring a local women’s advice line, social care or childline. They can all advise you and hopefully offer help. Good luck, it sounds like an awful situation.

I am seeing the doctor this week about my depression medication so i’ll mention this situation then
This happens with me as well.. Usually people think that this generally happens to Asian girls as there parents are strict. Aside from that my mum is pretty abusive emotionally and physically. I'm sharing this not because I wanna complain about it but just to put out there that you ain't alone. Because of her I have gone through depression and stuff.. It just never stops at my house.. It's more towards me than my siblings.. she loves all of em equally and everyone notices it.
Reply 4
There’s a big difference between being strict and being abusive, as I’m sure you know. The doctor is a good place to start as you can speak to them in confidence and they have access to lots of information, extra resources and services. I hope you both get some help soon.
Reply 5
Original post by Aaliyah2001
This happens with me as well.. Usually people think that this generally happens to Asian girls as there parents are strict. Aside from that my mum is pretty abusive emotionally and physically. I'm sharing this not because I wanna complain about it but just to put out there that you ain't alone. Because of her I have gone through depression and stuff.. It just never stops at my house.. It's more towards me than my siblings.. she loves all of em equally and everyone notices it.

Sorry to hear, I hope you can get some help like I am going to do
Reply 6
Original post by Ftmshk
There’s a big difference between being strict and being abusive, as I’m sure you know. The doctor is a good place to start as you can speak to them in confidence and they have access to lots of information, extra resources and services. I hope you both get some help soon.

I always thought my mum was strict but now I realise
it’s v different

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending