Chemistry AND/OR Psychology for Nutritionist/Dietician PLEASE HELP ITS URGENT

Watch
lil-bugaboo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I've just started A-level well to be more precise AS-level I'm a year 12. I've decided i want to be a nutritionist because i enjoy and im good at food studies and biology but....the school im in makes us choose 4 subjects . I've decided to take :
-Math ( for statistics)
-Biology
-Food Studies
-Psychology
So.... i have a love/hate relationship with chemistry ....at first i decided to not take it but i'm rethinking it now ...is it really important? Should i switch it with Psychology? I DONT KNOW im really confused . Ive seen some sites suggest that i need both Psychology and Chemistry for the career as a nutritionist . Is it possible to choose one or do i really need both. If it comes down to the choice of both , my school allows space for 1 extra subject. PLEASE HELP!
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wouldn't advise 5 A Levels, only if you're confident you could handle the work. I'd advise 4 A Levels, and then drop to 3 in your second year.

I'd do Chemistry instead of Psychology. Not only does it compliment Biology much better, but Psychology is the study of the mind. You'd probably be better off taking Chemistry.

Saying that, Psychology could be useful in terms of providing tailored nutritional advice for people. You're better off looking at what the universities want really.
lil-bugaboo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
I wouldn't advise 5 A Levels, only if you're confident you could handle the work. I'd advise 4 A Levels, and then drop to 3 in your second year.

I'd do Chemistry instead of Psychology. Not only does it compliment Biology much better, but Psychology is the study of the mind. You'd probably be better off taking Chemistry.

Saying that, Psychology could be useful in terms of providing tailored nutritional advice for people. You're better off looking at what the universities want really.
Thanks , just one lil tiny teeny question...so wat if u dont like chemistry ....ive been dreaming once i finish igcse chemistry is no longer a part of me ... i just dont like it tbh i knew i needed chemistry i was just running away from it. BUTT THANKS ANYWAYS
Kian Stevens
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lil-bugaboo)
Thanks , just one lil tiny teeny question...so wat if u dont like chemistry ....ive been dreaming once i finish igcse chemistry is no longer a part of me ... i just dont like it tbh i knew i needed chemistry i was just running away from it. BUTT THANKS ANYWAYS
Well let's flip that question on its head: what if you don't like Psychology?

My college did a 4 week transition period, where students could swap a few subjects at the start of their AS year. I would imagine your college would do something similar, so you could always try out Psychology/Chemistry before swapping to the other if the college allows it. Just see what they say when you actually attend in September.
lil-bugaboo
Rep:
?
Well let's flip that question on its head: what if you don't like Psychology?

My college did a 4 week transition period, where students could swap a few subjects at the start of their AS year. I would imagine your college would do something similar, so you could always try out Psychology/Chemistry before swapping to the other if the college allows it. Just see what they say when you actually attend in September.
but i love psychology ...its interesting ... now im a lil confused since u popped that question up.
My senior school did a similar thing but for 3 weeks but at that time i didnt see it as important to switch and see if i like chemistry coz honestly...i knew i was gonna meet the same teacher i had back at junior school who made chemistry a nightmare for me ..used to love it but she flipped my chemo world upside down literally...i survived igcse coz i used bbc bitesize. But imma take ur word and switch to chemistry because it relates with food science
Kian Stevens
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lil-bugaboo)
but i love psychology ...its interesting ... now im a lil confused since u popped that question up.
My senior school did a similar thing but for 3 weeks but at that time i didnt see it as important to switch and see if i like chemistry coz honestly...i knew i was gonna meet the same teacher i had back at junior school who made chemistry a nightmare for me ..used to love it but she flipped my chemo world upside down literally...i survived igcse coz i used bbc bitesize. But imma take ur word and switch to chemistry because it relates with food science
Have you ever done Psychology before to know whether it's interesting or not? The content may look interesting, but there's a large emphasis on essay-style writing, which might not be for you. Chemistry at A Level is completely theory based, which may suit people more.

Maybe you should trial both subjects in September and see which one you like the most. I did the same for Chemistry in my AS year, not knowing whether I'd like it or not since I didn't think much to it at GCSE, but now I'm going to university in September to study it.
lil-bugaboo
Rep:
?
Have you ever done Psychology before to know whether it's interesting or not? The content may look interesting, but there's a large emphasis on essay-style writing, which might not be for you. Chemistry at A Level is completely theory based, which may suit people more.

Maybe you should trial both subjects in September and see which one you like the most. I did the same for Chemistry in my AS year, not knowing whether I'd like it or not since I didn't think much to it at GCSE, but now I'm going to university in September to study it.
i have tried psychology actually i did for that 3 week orientation we had and it was enjoyable but i think i'm going to take ur advice coz it makes much sense to give chemistry a chance before judging it. Thanks alot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
31.17%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.34%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.43%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (40)
25.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise