The Student Room Group

2 Jobs offers - what to do?!

I have been able to secure two job offers, one as a volume crime scene investigator and another as a regulatory scientist within the civil service. The CSI job comes with a salary of 19.7k with shift allowance making it just below 22k and is permenant. While the other job is 25.5k on a 12 month contract, with possibility of a 12 month extension. I’m stuck as to which to go for. My background is biology based, having both a bachelors and masters degree. It’s obvious to take the higher amount but I’m stuck for job security.

Are there any other civil servents about that could help??
Have you considered which one you may enjoy more?
Which one has the most potential for increase in pay?
Firstly CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now...I'm not a civil servant but I've had similar issues in the past where there's two jobs on the table and one will take me in one direction, and the other in a completely different one. Don't let the 12 month contract put you off, if you don't have much experience working in the actual industry (assuming you went straight from undergrad to masters and this is your first step onto the ladder?) then actually a 12 month contract gives you some flexibility to see whether it's actually for you.

At the end of the day, you need to think about which company you prefer, where can you see yourself actually working everyday and which job is actually going to be more interesting/challenging for you as well as giving you the quality of life you want.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks!The CSI role is with working within the Police. I think it would be really interesting with the amount of things I would come across but I'm not too sure with the possibility of progression, but on the other hand it would be great to have on my CV. The regulatory scientist role sounds good to me also as its all to do with my biology background, but I don't want to end up in a position where I don't have a job to go to within 12 months. This is my first 'proper job' I would be going into and want to make sure I make the right decision. Regulatory science would be interesting as I've never done anything like that either.
I would go for the regulatory scientist role - it interests you and used your biology background. The pay is better and there is option to extend your contract. Normally, to progress a lot of people change roles rather than stay in one place, so at the end of your contract, use your experience and what you have learnt to apply for better roles at another company.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending