The Student Room Group

Doubting my course for university

For the last 3 years I have been doing creative media (games and animation) for a level and I loved it, only thing was I wasn't good at the game engines at all and was the only part I hated in the hole course, but is a big part in the course as its how you create a game. I was more so into the concept art and the ideas, research and 3D/2D animation.

But when it came to picking my universities I ended up choosing film I have this thing where I wanna bring smiles to people's faces and inspire people and I also love film and photography just I haven't dabbled in it much and am quite scared if am doing a mistake here?

My anixtey has been building up since I left college and am returning to the same place to do my uni course so I know the teachers and the film teacher is great and have many ideas to put to the test. But am not sure if am gonna regret it last 3 years I've been doing gaming and am not sure if it's because I've been doing it for so long it's just the fear of taking that leap and going into something new or it's because I should be sticking with the gaming course.

I am very indecisive person when it comes to picking, and I have terrible anxiety. Is this normal to doubt when your going into a new subject or should I change my mind and stick to the gaming even though am bad at the game engines, people say you will improve but I hate them and can never get my head round it sure I can impress be on them abit but it's embarrassing how advanced others are at actually making the games than you and your just just good at creating the idea for the game or animation.

I think am just afraid of making a mistake, every asks me if it's your passion then go for it but am even doubting if film is my passion but it's the same with games and animation. Am unsure what to do and it be great to have someone else's opinion/outlook.
My apologies for the typos, half 4 in the morning isn't the best time to write things down but it was keeping me awake tonight 😅 thank you for anyone's responsives, it'll be really helpful ^-^
Reply 2
I can answer this as someone who didn't follow through. I spent three years studying sport at college (btec/cg) and applied to study sport at uni. However, i was and am passionate about reading and writing. Being a strong creative and academic writer. My tutor pulled some strings with some friends of his and I got a place to study english despite not doing a levels (only A at gcse). But i got scared and turned it down. Opting to continue on the path i had taken because it was familiar and i knew i could do it. Ive finished my degree now and am going on to study a masters in education and still write. Aiming for a career in academia. However there are days when i wonder if it was a mistake to turn it down (probably) and if i had my time back again i would take it. Whats the worst that could happen? You do first year and decide you dont like it, you can transfer to creative media or what have you. Its better to take a chance on film than spend the rest of your life wondering how it would have turned out if you did. I ignored my doubts and ended up hating parts of my degree in the end. Goodluck with everything.
Original post by Justmac
I can answer this as someone who didn't follow through. I spent three years studying sport at college (btec/cg) and applied to study sport at uni. However, i was and am passionate about reading and writing. Being a strong creative and academic writer. My tutor pulled some strings with some friends of his and I got a place to study english despite not doing a levels (only A at gcse). But i got scared and turned it down. Opting to continue on the path i had taken because it was familiar and i knew i could do it. Ive finished my degree now and am going on to study a masters in education and still write. Aiming for a career in academia. However there are days when i wonder if it was a mistake to turn it down (probably) and if i had my time back again i would take it. Whats the worst that could happen? You do first year and decide you dont like it, you can transfer to creative media or what have you. Its better to take a chance on film than spend the rest of your life wondering how it would have turned out if you did. I ignored my doubts and ended up hating parts of my degree in the end. Goodluck with everything.

Wow thank you so much for your response I guess it doesn't hurt giving it a try and if I don't like it after a few weeks or doesn't fit I can change at least then I stepped into it and tried and not left it alone. Your right thank you very much out at ease slightly I'll just have to get over the fear and try something new, life has errors and you learn from them but at least you won't be asking what if. Thanks dude ^-^
Reply 4
No worries! It's honestly better to try and realise you don't like it than spending the whole time thinking what if! You might even love it! You won't be like me and have to endure a million I told you so's from my old tutor (even though my path turned out alright) 😂.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending