Applying for a big city/magic circle law firm from a non Russell Group University...

Watch this thread
Simply_Law
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

So I've just finished my first year studying LLB Law at the University of Leicester. I got a first class (barely at 70.9%) and I got an average of 71, 72, 73 percent on my exams. I have done lots of extracurriculars last year because I always felt like I had to do more to make up for not being at a Russell group uni or ox-bridge. I was part of the Law society, pro-bono society project where I went to court on a weekly basis to help litigants with forms etc, I began learning Korean (which I now have a beginners certificate in), and I am currently on a 2 month long paid internship in China at a Law firm. I am also writing a book so now I have something interesting to talk about at my interviews (but that's not why I'm writing it).

The point is, I'm extremely worried because I know a that big city law firms tend to recruit mainly from Ox-bridge and Russell Group universities. I know they hire some non-RG students too but not enough. I'm aiming to apply to Herbert Smith Freehills and I saw on their site that they have 60 trainees vacancies and only like 9% are from non-RG/Ox-bridge universities (that's 6 training contract). I also have a magic circle firm that I've always wanted to work for if HSF doesn't work out (which I'm hoping it does). That one seems even more out of reach...

I want to start applying for vacation schemes once my second year begins but I'm really worried. Can someone who has been through this possibly give me some advice on what more I can do to make myself stand out from the thousands of students I have as my competition?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Simply_Law)
Hi,

So I've just finished my first year studying LLB Law at the University of Leicester. I got a first class (barely at 70.9%) and I got an average of 71, 72, 73 percent on my exams. I have done lots of extracurriculars last year because I always felt like I had to do more to make up for not being at a Russell group uni or ox-bridge. I was part of the Law society, pro-bono society project where I went to court on a weekly basis to help litigants with forms etc, I began learning Korean (which I now have a beginners certificate in), and I am currently on a 2 month long paid internship in China at a Law firm. I am also writing a book so now I have something interesting to talk about at my interviews (but that's not why I'm writing it).

The point is, I'm extremely worried because I know a that big city law firms tend to recruit mainly from Ox-bridge and Russell Group universities. I know they hire some non-RG students too but not enough. I'm aiming to apply to Herbert Smith Freehills and I saw on their site that they have 60 trainees vacancies and only like 9% are from non-RG/Ox-bridge universities (that's 6 training contract). I also have a magic circle firm that I've always wanted to work for if HSF doesn't work out (which I'm hoping it does). That one seems even more out of reach...

I want to start applying for vacation schemes once my second year begins but I'm really worried. Can someone who has been through this possibly give me some advice on what more I can do to make myself stand out from the thousands of students I have as my competition?
Moved to the Law forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lxxa14
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I have the same question.
kakashi sensei1
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,I’m in the same position rn and wanted to know how it ultimately worked out for you?Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (42)
28.77%
Take a gap year (23)
15.75%
Resit my exams (40)
27.4%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (19)
13.01%
I don't know yet (16)
10.96%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.11%

Watched Threads