Driving with phone Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just wondering are there any cameras on the uk roads that catch people on their phones, or are the police the only ones who can catch you? Thanks
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cameras may be able to take snaps of inside the car, and see you on your phone, depending on how bright it is outside.

By the way, if you use your phone and drive, you're a c**t.
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First of all. Don't use your phone and drive.

Secondly, no. Nothing can detect it unless a picture is later reviewed however this may change soon. However I'm not sure what the mobile speed cameras can do.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...fic-cameras-UK
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Plenty of folk get caught and photographed by members of the public for driving on the phone - Outed on social media, complaints to employer, public complaints to police ect.

It's just a plain stupid idea really.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don’t be a **** and drive while using your ****ing mobile phone. It causes death and devastation, all because somebody couldn’t pull over or wait to make a phone call.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You'll get caught. If the police don't catch you first, the many dashcams on our roads - especially the ones used by bike users will and many of them will report you purely on principle. My phone USB connection isn't the best, causing android auto to cut out costing me access to my map/music. To fix it all that has to be done is to simply unplug the phone, and plug it back in. But I'm not stupid enough to attempt this without pulling into the first safe area I can find first. I'd rather be terribly lost and have LBC suddenly break out at max volume rather than lose my license.
emmamariekitty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Either police will catch you, a dashcam with catch you or when you've been involved in an accident the police will find out what caused it. Don't your phone and drive it's such a **** move and can literally kill people, it's not worth it, nothing on your phone could be important enough to risk killing someone and having their blood on your hands, if it's that important pull over. If I see anyone do this I will personally hand them in, people doing stupid stuff like this while driving infuriates me so much
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In this day and age with the advancement of hands free calling there is no reason at all to be holding your phone. In my car I have a voice recognition thing where I can connect my phone to my car via Bluetooth and then command it to phone someone or play a song or even Google a question and then read out the answer - there's no reason to touch your phone at all.

If you need to send a message to someone, wait. If it's that important, phone them on hands free.

I don't care if you want to get yourself killed if you choose to text and drive, but it's not fair on the innocents you plough into.
Soteria3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just wondering are there any cameras on the uk roads that catch people on their phones, or are the police the only ones who can catch you? Thanks
You should never use a phone while driving. Police may fine you about 200 pounds for it.
TheYearUni'er
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Soteria3)
You should never use a phone while driving. Police may fine you about 200 pounds for it.
Okay smart john. So what if I'm at a stand still waiting for the traffic light to turn green?
Soteria3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheYearUni'er)
Okay smart john. So what if I'm at a stand still waiting for the traffic light to turn green?
Why not look towards the light and stop using your phone. Or install a driving assistant app which will help you with the phone without touching it
TheYearUni'er
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why not look towards the light and stop using your phone. Or install a driving assistant app which will help you with the phone without touching it
Wth..? Look at the lights?? Mate I use my phone when in traffic how will I cause an accident by doing that? I'm telling you it's fine when at a stand still.
Soteria3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wth..? Look at the lights?? Mate I use my phone when in traffic how will I cause an accident by doing that? I'm telling you it's fine when at a stand still.
ye you got a point.sorry mate
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hola TheYearUni'er,

That would not be a defense. It is only legal to use a mobile phone if you are safely parked – and the legislation specifcially excludes waiting in traffic or while stationary at traffic lights. The law does permit emergency 999 or 112 calls made on a hand-held mobile while driving, but only if it's not otherwise safe to stop.

In addition to the general penalties mentioned earlier, persons who have recently taken their driving test will have their license rescinded and have to re-take the test if convicted. The offence will also be available to insurance companies (they all request a compulsory DVLA code annually now) and your policy cost will sky-rocket when you are back on the road. If you cause an accident that is linked to phone use, the consequences are dire: you face losing the vehicle and imprisonment for a serious incident. On top of fines, you will also face a hefty legal bill that will probably bankrupt you.

As others have commented - it's just not worth it.
Soteria3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
Hola TheYearUni'er,

That would not be a defense. It is only legal to use a mobile phone if you are safely parked – and the legislation specifcially excludes waiting in traffic or while stationary at traffic lights. The law does permit emergency 999 or 112 calls made on a hand-held mobile while driving, but only if it's not otherwise safe to stop.

In addition to the general penalties mentioned earlier, persons who have recently taken their driving test will have their license rescinded and have to re-take the test if convicted. The offence will also be available to insurance companies (they all request a compulsory DVLA code annually now) and your policy cost will sky-rocket when you are back on the road. If you cause an accident that is linked to phone use, the consequences are dire: you face losing the vehicle and imprisonment for a serious incident. On top of fines, you will also face a hefty legal bill that will probably bankrupt you.

Thank you. I didn't want to argue with him
TheYearUni'er
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
Hola TheYearUni'er,

Fair enough but you cant make me stop.

Spoiler:
Show
Jokes aside, I dont do it much, but I'll make sure to stop it entirely because of the risk
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Can you please stop bumping old threads.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise